Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Going Rogue: An American Life forum

Why does Amazon allow fake one-star reviews?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-30 of 30 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2009 3:49:44 PM PST
"Now, would you ask Amazon to delete my opinion? "
After you said you at least opened the book? No way!

"Are you offended only by comments negative to Ms Palin--or are you also offended by positive comments from those who have not read her book?"
Offended? Some posts on discussion boards have been offensive, and I've "reported abuse" on some of them, and who knows if it mattered at all? Nope, just checked one from a few days ago that was particularly offensive, and it's still there. Fake reviews on either side don't offend me: I buy books that look interesting. In fact, I usually prefer movies that get bad reviews, so reviews don't matter a bit to me. Just pointing out that there are fake 1's and 5's all over the place, and I would bet that Amazon says they care, but really don't.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 12:34:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 7, 2011 12:36:26 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 1:59:24 PM PST
I think all reviews should be removed, and readers rely on sample chapters and sales rankings.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 1:28:44 PM PST
The 1 or 5 star reviews based on political beliefs are probably not the real problem, you pretty quickly see the reviewers bias and can learn to choose based on what those people complain about. If they talk about the book sucking because it is like another author you love, buy the book.
What troubles me is how to decide on the non-book items. If paid shills are putting up phoney descriptions of how well a cell phone or electric razor work, or almost worse claiming problems that the item DOES NOT have, it makes it impossible for me to make an informed decision. I would think there would be a way to track and remove reviewers who post suspicious, always glowing or always negative, reviews, real reviews would tend to have a combination.

I understand AMazon's claim to the difficulty in policing its review boards but by throwing their arms up they make this feature irrelevant. There is no reason for me to pay attention to their reviews and they might as well stop wasting server space on it if I know the reviews are essentially unreliable.

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 6:56:04 PM PDT
rkroningam says:
There's only one solution to this problem, which is not limited to Amazon, or politics, or whatever. People should have to be certified to do anything which is deemed important to their performance as citizens in a viable democracy. That includes voting, spouting their opinions in public media, running for office, etc. etc. Where else in the world are children, and the ignorant, uneducated, property-less 'lower classes' allowed to participate in the running of the 'business'? The founding fathers must be laughing in their graves! Alright, who decides who should be 'certified'? What kind of people would YOU trust to perform that function? Come on; your opinion is important; this is a democracy, isn't it?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Going Rogue: An American Life
Going Rogue: An American Life by Sarah Palin (Hardcover - November 17, 2009)
4.0 out of 5 stars (1,618)