does it have to be updated?
asked by Valerie Victory on January 2, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
I don't believe there is any updates. All it's doing is drawing info from the computer. So if the computer does not put out the information then you won't receive it. I've been using it for 3 years now. I love it and no issues at all. I've used on 6 different vehicle ranging from 2003-2008. Honda, gm, and ford. The only draw I know Is that for check engine lights it only gives the code number. No issue really just look it up haha. I mainly use the gauge for intake temp, water temp, throttle position, and battery voltage. Hope this helps..... Side note vehicle must be obd-II... Like 96 and up vehicles
Natedawg answered on January 2, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It's worked great and I have not had to update it nor needed to. Get it, you'll love it! It's even sort of fun to customer program it, just read the manual, it's very easy!
MC1 answered on January 2, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There is nothing to update, It reads error codes when the appear, just numbers or codes. You can then look up the codes on the internet, most are universal on car that OBD ll, most from the last ten years. If you fix the problem and use the gauge to clear the error, the car will be good to go after a short time. The car computer has to go through a few cycles with no errors before it can be ready for passing smog. Most of the time I use it as a secondary set of gauges, nice to see your MPG as you go. So no updates and good until the cars change their input parameters, I hope that helps.
David W. Bailey answered on January 3, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I haven't updated mine, so I'll say "no". I got min ethe summer of 2011 and it's great. I wanted it so I could monitor the transmission tempurature. I had to manually program the codes into it, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I recommend this to every motorhead out there.
Eddie B. answered on January 3, 2013

A
No, there is no update feature
Scott Cooper answered on January 3, 2013
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I don't know what you would update. It's an entirely passive instrument. I've been using mine primarily to monitor fuel economy and it has resulted in a significant change in my driving habits. I was always careful with the gas pedal beforehand, but this device has given me a better understanding of how driving strategy can affect fuel usage. My average fuel economy has improved 10 percent since I started using it, resulting in about $375 in fuel savings. That would buy TWO of these things! I've used it to read the codes when my "Check Engine" light went on a couple of times, and it was right both times. I knew what to expect when I visited my dealer for service.
Dogboy answered on January 3, 2013

A
When you first plug the ScanGauge into your OBD-II port you're told (in the manual) to go through the setup routine. That tells the ScanGauge who it's communicating with, tire size, engine size, etc, etc. Once that's done it operates without any further updates from you... unless you do some major changes to your car such as new engine, bigger tires, etc. An interesting thing happened in my car when the sensor on the automatic transmission prevented my car from starting. Using the ScanGauge, I was able to reset the code and drive to the transmission shop where they found the problem and fixed it. That saved me quite a tow bill! I mainly use my ScanGauge to improve my mileage. I watch the Gallons Per Hour and Miles Per Gallon readings. It's amazing how depressing more lightly on the accelerator pedal decreases the Gallons Per Hour reading and how that makes the Miles Per Gallon go UP! Get one! You will wonder how you EVER did without it.
David answered on January 3, 2013

A
No, not normally. I've got 2 of them and I love them. I got them for gas mileage and trip information. It provides so much more information - more than I can use. I had my older one upgraded several years ago when I was down in the Phoenix area. It was painless and what a great bunch of folks at the manufacuring facitity.
I did see that they have updated their web site and also opened a new site which has update information on it but I don't see any reason to update mine until I get a new Prius. The new site is: http://www.scangauge.com look under support / upgrade to see if the version is outdated
Mikeee answered on January 5, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product