How does this juicer do with greens, like kale? Efficient?
asked by Anonymous on January 26, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 answers
A
The Breville Juice fountain processes kale more easily than my Hurom juicer. There's not clogging or sticking due to the long tough fibers in the plant. That isn't to say that some (or even much) of the kale juice winds up in the pulp. That can happen -- but 1 few tricks have improved the amount of juice I can get out of the kale though. 1. I put the kale into the chute alongside a firm fruit or vegetable like apple or carrot and process on the high/fast setting designed for harder fruits and veggies. 2. I juice the kale when it's very fresh and firm. If it starts to get a bit limp, there's not much hope of getting lots of juice from it anymore. Parsley, cilantro, spinach -- all of it does well in the Breville if mixed in with hard fruit and juiced on the highest setting.
Education Pro answered on January 26, 2013
Comment | 17 of 17 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
is it perfect for greens? No. however with a little practice and trial and error i have been happy with the amount of juice i get. try rolling the kale or spinach up tight and running through with cucumber or zucchini.
all said would not trade for any other juicer
Jeff Ashbridge answered on January 26, 2013
Comment | 9 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
NOT efficient!!! I have to put the 'grounds' through twice more.....and get lots more juice. At the price, this machine should be much more efficient at getting all the juice out of the kale and everything else for that matter the first time around. For two large bunches of kale, I get MAYBE a quarter of a cup....by the time I've put them through twice more, I might have half a cup.....just doesn't seem right.
Serious reader answered on January 28, 2013
Comment (1) | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Excellent! I take my Kale and spinach and role them up into a wad, if i have cilantro and role it up inside with the spinach and kale, and feed them on through, does great! I like and lot of greens in with my carrots. We feed the pulp to the rabbits in the desert.
Bishmaya answered on January 26, 2013
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
With green leafy vegetable like kale and spinach, I have to roll a small handful and put it between two orange halves so it doesn't moves too fast through the blades. I do still think I get more juice from this juicer than other juicers that I have owned.
Tracy Hendricks answered on January 26, 2013
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Its a Little tricky With Kale & Spinach, Don't Get Me Wrong Your Going To Love This Machine, Very Fast, Easy to Clean. You Don't Get Much Juice Out Of The Greens With This Machine Alone, What I Started Doing, I Would Put my Kale & Spinach In a Blender With Coconut Or Spring Water & then Strain It Afterwards & Mix The 2 Together. This Way I Get The Full Benefit Of The Greens. You Can Try This Little Trick that I Saw, You Can Juice Them By Putting Carrots Around The Kale So It Will Process Slower & go Slow When Pushing Through. But You Still Don't Get Enough Of The Juice From The Kale. I Now Have a Nutri-Bullet That I Love That I can Put My Greens In & It Blends The Greens Very Good! Then I Mix The Juicing & this Together & Its Great. A Regular Blender Would Work Too For The Greens. The Breville is Awesome though....
Shawna Twain answered on January 26, 2013
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I can only compare it to my old Champion juicer, which was such a pain to operate with leafy greens.(the hole was too small and the leaves would make the plunger stick). So by comparison the Breville is AWESOME, I juiced some kale a few days ago and got a decent amount, the pulp was very dry. Have not tried other greens, but imagine it would be efficient.
jhonmathis answered on January 26, 2013
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Kale is considerably better than other greens such as spinach. Mainly because of the rigid stalk. Parsley, cilantro, romaine, spinach, all did not fare so well. Too much wasted juice in the pulp for my liking.
Keil M Corcoran answered on January 26, 2013
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It does not do greens well, I have to say. Everything else about it is great though, the steel makes it beautiful and sturdy.
Michael Klein answered on January 26, 2013
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This juicer has done really well w/ greens, like kale and spinach. As for efficiency, I can't compare the quantity of juice produced to another juicer, since this is my first one. But I am happy with it.
Dorian L. Sulc answered on January 26, 2013
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product