Customer Discussions > Zoom for Kinect - Xbox 360 forum

It does not work at all!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 12, 2011 11:28:15 PM PDT
Bazingarrr says:
some people have already got it from a chinese ebay-like website: taobao, and their review are terrible.

It doesnt recognize the moves of players properly and lost signal all the time. thats why microsoft does not recommend it.

dont buy it, it is not worth it

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011 6:14:37 AM PDT
Ualdayan says:
Hmm, game site reviews so far seem positive. Is it possible they simply got a copy that tried to imitate the idea, but did it poorly instead of the authentic Nyko Zoom? Always have to be careful on 'Ebay-like' sites that somebody isn't just selling you a poorly made imitation that can't do what the original can.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 8:00:07 AM PDT
N. Johnson says:
So you buy a knock off Chinese version of something then go bitch about how the original version doesn't work?

You might as well post on the Nintendo website about why you think the Wii sucks because you bought a Chinese Funtendo Vii.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 8:56:26 AM PDT
So the knock offs don't work. Got it.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 9:48:06 PM PDT
Paul Keeler says:
I have to say that I bought it from Amazon and got an official version and it doesn't work for me either. The hand controls are all over the place and the unit keeps losing track of me and has to keep re-calibrating. I'm going to try again tomorrow in different lighting conditions and see if that changes anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 12:19:17 AM PDT
D. Penrice says:
I'm having the same issue, it does not see my hand movements correctly and when you try games like fruit ninja, it starts chopping all by itself... Take the unit off, game works fine.

I'm looking on my dashboard right now and I see my picture and it is getting black flashes in the middle of where I'm standing like it doesn't see any light for a few seconds - is that what you see?

I too are going to try tomorrow in different light but I'm not sure it will make a difference.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 7:43:58 AM PDT
N. Johnson says:
Have you tried recalibrating? Mine doesn't come till today, but that's the first thing I am going to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 8:03:09 AM PDT
D. Penrice says:
Twice so far and made no difference.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 10:10:34 AM PDT
Paul Keeler says:
I've recallibrated a couple of times myself. I have a feeling that in my situation the Zoom allows the Kinect to see almost too much of my room. I've got some obstructions on the outer edges of my view that might be cluttering up the image now. I'm working tonight, but tomorrow I'm gonna move some stuff around and see if it helps. I was able to play Gunstringer for 2 hours today without the Zoom, but as soon as I put it on and calibrate the system can't even find me.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 10:25:09 AM PDT
Jim Foronda says:
I'm returning mine today. I tried for quite a while to get the thing to work but it "couldn't see the floor" even though nothing was blocking it when I checked in the camera view. I have a feeling that the prototypes that got glowing reviews probably had more expensive, higher-quality optics because when I held the one I purchased up to the light, there were all sorts of bits and flecks in the lenses. In theory, it should work but for me it was a complete failure.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 4:59:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2011 5:11:29 PM PDT
N. Johnson says:
I was having the same problem, as my kinect is on top of a wall mounted TV. I put it lower down, at the 4-5 foot level (give or take) and it seemed to correct a lot of the issues finding the floor, as well as the erratic hand movements. But it isn't practical for me to have it down there. I just want to see if the "Up top" people are the ones having the problems.

Apparently they address the no floor here:

http://www.nyko.com/customer-support/product-support.html?platform=Xbox+360&name=Zoom

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 5:17:47 PM PDT
Paul Keeler says:
My Kinect Sensor is on the top of my TV and I'm one of the ones having an issue. I'm really not willing to move it because it then will block my TV picture from my viewing angle. I guess the Zoom just wasn't meant for my setup. It would have been nice to know this ahead of time, but I think I'm going to return it.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 5:28:57 PM PDT
N. Johnson says:
I've come to the conclusion that this only works at the 4 foot, or around there, zone. I stacked some crap up so it could sit at the 4 feet, and it picked up everything just fine. My guess is the positive reviews are people who have their kinect low, and the negatives are the people who have their kinect high. I don't know what I want to do yet, I might buy a kinect floor stand or wall mount and put it right under my TV.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 7:03:46 PM PDT
I can understand how this doesn't work for some people and their setups and feel for their frustration and struggles however it seems to be working still okay for me so far and I have my kinect on top of my tv but on a low entertainment stand. I haven't calibrated it at all since I put the zoom on and did Kinect tuning at all and ive been going fine. I hate how my review now has 2/5 helpful votes simply because people are having problems and choose to rate my positive review badly. That's just ignorant.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 6:57:03 AM PDT
N. Johnson says:
K. Villecco, what height would you say your kinect sits at? Is it at 6 feet? Mine was more around 6.5-7. Put it could never see the ground.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 12:22:18 PM PDT
Measured my Kinect at 4.1 feet above the ground, and its at the top of the TV (37in hdtv) like i said. I also only stand 5 feet away from the TV because my couch is literally right behind that so there isn't much space in this setup, however i'm only having this setup for another week.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 5:58:06 PM PDT
Bazingarrr says:
now you are talking, huh?

Asian area got the product earlier does not mean its a Chinese knock off, alright?

Everyone is having the same problem even place it right at 4 feet high, it does not capture most moves, especially when you are under menus.

well, I guess you cant ask too much about a peep hole mirror.

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 7:05:57 AM PDT
N. Johnson says:
Dude your original post was terrible. It made no sense, and sounded like people were buying Chinese knock offs. You provided no links, and a name of a website no one has ever heard of. What did you expect me to think?

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 9:00:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2011 9:01:29 AM PDT
To be fair. Let's dissect the original post.

"some people have already got it from a chinese ebay-like website: taobao"
TaoBao is a Chinese auction site where people get their knockoffs. I can read Chinese. Asian don't get the product earlier. They are knockoffs.

"and their review are terrible."
The review for the Chinese knockoffs are terrible.

"It doesnt recognize the moves of players properly and lost signal all the time."
The review for the Chinese knockoffs are still terrible.

"thats why microsoft does not recommend it."
And I demand a minimum IQ requirement for posting on Amazon.

"dont buy it, it is not worth it"
So the knock offs don't work. Don't buy them. Got it.

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 9:04:42 AM PDT
Instead of "it doesn't work at all", it should be "it doesn't work for me."

The error is between the Kinect and the chair.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 10:24:22 AM PDT
N. C. Hill says:
So what's the final verdict, is this product worth buying?

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 7:31:35 AM PDT
N. Johnson says:
@ N.C. Hill

Well, where are you mounting it at? Height wise?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 4:35:55 PM PDT
Dont waste your money.
Microsoft will release an update for the dashboard this face that will make the interface fully kinect compatible and thus fine tune the kinect sensitivityand overall functionallity.

I bought it despite the bad reviews and Im sorry I did.

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 8:30:01 PM PDT
even though an update to make the dashboard fully functional with the Kinect sensor, I really doubt that it will make the distance to play games any better. not everyone has a house in the Hamptons with a living room the size of an apartment so even though they are making things more functional for the entire Xbox experience the distance requirement is probably not getting addressed. unless microsoft wants to start handing out checks for Kinect owners to invest in a new place of residence, I guess I'm stuck with having to play games with my legs pressed against the front of the couch

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 6:40:37 PM PDT
Gin says:
This product is awful and anyone that defends it is somehow blessed with either a higher quality product or some perfect setup that is unable to be copied... I tried everything and wasted so much time moving it around up and down and all around... Just not worth the once and a while fluke of it noticing 50% of your movements. Returning it tomorrow.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Sep 12, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 3, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Zoom for Kinect - Xbox 360
Zoom for Kinect - Xbox 360 by Nyko (Xbox 360)
3.0 out of 5 stars   (581)