Customer Discussions > Green Lantern: Secret Origin forum

How does this version of origin compare?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 26, 2009 6:16:21 AM PDT
Arkiver says:
I'm just curious if anyone was familiar with Emerald Dawn (and Emerald Dawn II), the 90s "redoing" of Hal's origin, and how this one compares to that one (since that one is one of my favorite GL stories)...

Posted on Jul 21, 2009 1:18:55 PM PDT
DavidLG1971 says:
Secret Origin covers a lot of the same ground as Emerald Dawns I and II. Obviously a lot is the same - Abin Sur dies, passes on the ring to Hal, Hal is trained first by Kilowog, then by Sinestro, etc.

The focus is very different, though. The villain is completely new: Atrocitus, a survivor of a cosmic massacre (apparently) caused by the Green Lantern bosses, the Guardians. But the book is really character-focused - it spends a lot of time on Hal, Sinestro and Carol Ferris as people, their history and why they do what they do. For example the first chapter is mostly about Hal and Carol's childhood.

I'd summarize by saying Emerald Dawn is a superhero epic with some nice character bits, while Secret Origin is more a character story with some great action scenes. It's also a part of the current GL series written by Geoff Johns (Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War, etc.), and sets up plots that play out in later volumes, so there's that to consider too. I hope that helps!

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 7:03:12 AM PDT
Matt Rayner says:
Emerald Dawn first got me into Green Lantern and is a great introduction to Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, Oa, the Guardains, the yellow impurity, 24 hour charge. A cool villain and a great read. Emerald Dawn 2 is great with Hal in jail for 90 days for a DIU and gets more training from Sinestro, and later gets Sinestro banished to Qward for abuse of power. Even introduces Guy Gardner as Hal's attorney. LOL

Now Secret Origin is by Geoff Johns and well his version is just as good if not better. Plus it totally foreshadows Blackest Night by having Attroticus as the villain and even introducing Black Hand. Some diffrences though with Sinestro's training, no DUI, and the ring charge is whenever it's empty; you need to recharge instead of every 24 hours. If your reading Geoff John's work now, this is the version you want in your collection if you could only have one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Mar 26, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 3, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Green Lantern: Secret Origin
Green Lantern: Secret Origin by Geoff Johns (Hardcover - December 16, 2008)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (42)