doesn't break down the expenses within a receipt? I wanted to buy this if it helped me categorize items within a receipt, for example, all the food I bought at Target versus the clothes. It appears from one of the reviews that it only captures the total, tax by store, not the type of items bought at that store. Is this true?
asked by L. Menninger on December 28, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
For anyone interested in this product, the answer to the question is no, it does not break down the receipt by category. You will have to do this manually. It only (attempts to) pick up the store/vendor name, date, total and tax.
GbMedusa answered on March 10, 2009
Comment | 11 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I almost missed this post, but knowing that the product is rigid and will not allow split categorization of expense type within a receipt is a big detractor for me. I really expected this product to be a comprehensive solution for the price point but I guess my ideal solution is not available in the market. Thanks to all reviewers.
M. Swindell answered on February 20, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It doesn't do this. I never had a need to. I suppose you can scan the receipt twice & then enter the amount manually (i.e, add up the amount for clothes & putit into one category & then rescan the sam receipt & put it into another). I do not see a way to manually enter two categories for one receipt without another image of the receipt.
Dissapointed answered on November 3, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
In order to do this, you Split/Duplicate the receipt and then manually change the amount you want to record. You may need to do this if, for example, you have a Home Improvement store receipt and want X amount to go to Tax Category Homeowner Improvement and Y amount to go to General Retail. You will end up with two versions of the same receipt. Another option is to manually add another field that allows for a monetary entry. Neither are elegant solutions. It would be nice if we could break them out in one receipt but there is no way to do it.
T. Werkema answered on January 13, 2011

A
the newest version of neat receipts -v. 5, allows you to split your receipts. w/in neat itself it works fine. my problem , and I dont know if any out there can help with this -- is I had hoped that splitting the receipt in neat would still keep them "linked" so that when I export to quicken, it recognizes it as a single transaction w/ multiple categories - i.e. if I have a $10 purchase at target from discover card, 5 of which is groceries and 5 is auto maintenance, I can split the receipt easily in neat, but it makes two 'documents' - and if I highlight both and export as .qif and import into quicken, now I have two $5 purchases which will not 'match' when I download my statement from discover card: discover will show a single, $10 transaction at Target, and I don't know how to reconcile the two Neat-receipt-imported transactions with the single discover card transaction :-(

bottom line: yes, new version of neat receipt allows you to split a receipt into multiple categories, but just beware that outside of the neat receipt ecosystem I think it will cause you problems
bdb777 answered on December 30, 2011

A
In order to do this, you Split/Duplicate the receipt and then manually change the amount you want to record. You may need to do this if, for example, you have a Home Improvement store receipt and want X amount to go to Tax Category Homeowner Improvement and Y amount to go to General Retail. You will end up with two versions of the same receipt. Another option is to manually add another field that allows for a monetary entry. Neither are elegant solutions. It would be nice if we could break them out in one receipt but there is no way to do it.
T. Werkema answered on January 13, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Guys,

If I buy this and if it comes with V4 software do I get the free upgrade to v5?

thanks
Jason Paul Starr answered on December 30, 2011

A
I bought this for my own christmas present (:-P) ~ dec 17 and it was already bundled w/ v.5, and since then there have been 2 updates its alerted me to that I've downloaded via their website. I'd be surprised if you buy it now, that it wouldn't have v.5 software bundled....
bdb777 answered on December 30, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product