Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 10, 2009 1:48:39 PM PDT
The Star Trek movie blu-ray set is a prime example. Currently it's at 2.5 stars with 29 "reviews." Mainly, the reviews consist of people complaining about either the price of the set, or about the features included.

Is it too much to ask that reviews not be allowed until the street date of an item? I'm fully prepared to believe that the discs feature subpar video transfers or are lacking essential features. But why do I have to hear this very thing from people who cannot possibly own, or even have rented, the discs themselves?

This kind of baloney is disgusting, and it makes a sham out the Amazon review system. One would think it would be worth the 30 seconds of extra coding on their site to ensure their reviews are accurate and useful, as opposed to a bunch of fanboy trolling baloney.

Posted on Apr 17, 2009 10:47:50 PM PDT
M. Gaudet says:
They are not reviews and should be removed. You cannot review a product that has not been released yet.
These so called reviews do not help buyers, and are purely trolling angry fans who want to hurt the Paramount studios bottom line. Because they do multiple releases of their products like every other studio and franchise does. Note to the fans paramount owes you nothing and the first people they answer to are there shareholders, stockholders.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2009 9:10:10 AM PDT
Thank you. This kind of bull is annoying. Make people wait until they can actually see the movies. I bet the Blus will have video to drool over. Seriously though, no reviews unless you've seen the product.

Posted on Apr 23, 2009 4:05:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 23, 2009 4:05:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 1:29:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2009 1:30:21 PM PDT
Amen !! To that. All of these speculatory opinions are all devoid of one thing ...Actually seeing the finished product. All that these "reviews" are doing is providing doubt. If they acheive 1080p with nothing but a video master, I still believe that it is going to be better than any previous release ...but it has to be released.

Posted on Apr 30, 2009 5:49:51 PM PDT
M. Parten says:
I feel that they are somewhat relevant, most people seem to be the most upset that only one movie is the Director's/Extended cut, while the others are the original theatrical version, I'm sorry but to me that is unacceptable. I was going to get this, but for this fact. I have the Director's Cut of the movies on DVD why do I want to give that up for an inferior product (sure the video quality should be improved) but that is only part of the package.

Posted on Apr 30, 2009 11:30:13 PM PDT
M. J. says:
I think the actual reason they don't prohibit reviews on products they are taking pre-orders from is that Amazon does not always get products on their actual release date. Sometimes these products are released in other countries earlier or vendors will begin selling the items before the actual release date. Also, some products can be reviewed (in some capacity) before it is released. For an example, you can review a movie before it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray if you saw it in theaters.

With that said, I do agree that reviews that come out before a product is actually in peoples' hands are dumb.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2009 9:37:08 PM PDT
I agree with M. Parten...
People are reviewing the content being released which has been out for many years... If you don't like them, ignore them. Personally I would rather read a review of actual content rather than how pretty it is.

Posted on May 2, 2009 10:00:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2009 10:02:01 AM PDT
D. Fichtner says:
I agree. I'm sick of "double-dipping" by studios. I was going to purchase these on blu-ray, but now I will wait.

If I didn't have the reviews on Amazon to read before purchasing, I might have fallen for it. I rely on these comments, and can sift through the bull (from both sides) myself. Please keep allowing comments before release -- if you allow pre-orders, you should allow comments!

Posted on May 2, 2009 2:06:22 PM PDT
Pakman3000 says:
I appreciate the reviews in this instance. It's great that they called attention to the Wrath of Khan being the only true HD release in this set. What you should be asking is why all reviews for movies give a short/long synopsis of the damn movie. It's annoying to wade through a rehash of the plot before you get to the technical review.

Posted on May 2, 2009 3:19:55 PM PDT
Dr. Fresh says:
Pakman3000 says:
It's great that they called attention to the Wrath of Khan being the only true HD release in this set.

Wrath Of Kahn is NOT the only true HD release in the set. That's the point of this thread. False info is being given out on a product review page before the product is released.

L. Williams says:
"Personally I would rather read a review of actual content rather than how pretty it is."

Picture quality IS the content. That's the whole point of High-Def.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2009 7:06:18 AM PDT
mike ph. says:
the content being released has not been out for many years though. it's just now coming out. high definition versions of these films have never been available before until now.

Posted on May 4, 2009 6:40:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2009 6:45:32 PM PDT
M. Gaudet says:
The bombshell on this being a shoddy release is open wide already because the pal release is out and ntsc reviewer copies were sent out weeks ago.

You can find screenshots but only on the motion picture so far. And a few on Khan. Still I found my info out from the trek fans out there and a couple of other reviewers on here. Of course those were reviewers from Pal territories but you think paramount is going to use a different master for the us release, or delay the release and undo the grain removal and put out fixed versions. Of course not the discs are already pressed and they want your money. And there are enough people who think grain removal is a good thing and will buy these inferior versions.

Its not like they cannot do it right. They got the season 1 of tos out there in a fantastic blu ray release, they had previous HD masters without the degraining released already as HDTV versions and the dvd's were not ruined either.

If these are high definition versions approximating the level of fine detail on the theatrical releases the grain structure and image needs to be left intact.

Posted on May 10, 2009 2:20:22 AM PDT
A Customer says:
5/9/09 On the Amazon.co.uk site there are a total of 6 customer reviews by owners of Star Trek: OMP Collection BD; mostly positive, 5-4 star ratings with one 3 star from a guy who got a glitch. Here, on the USA based Amazon.com site we have 59 customer reviews of same set with 22 in the 5-4 star arena and 37 south of that; 30 of them in the 1 star level. Over 90% of these domestic reviews are from people who haven't even seen the set! Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth. Lots of cursing Paramount and even some death threats. Lots of revelations like: 'Wait' and 'they just want our money', more 'wait's and plenty of 'there's going to be an upgrade'. Of course they want your money, they have a business to run. And if you don't think that an upgrade will be made, than you haven't bought any electronic or computer gear in your life. Waiting is an empty procedure since there is never a perfect time to buy anything in this rapidly advancing world of technology. Plus, while you're waiting, a truck might run you over!
Illogic aside, I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed at the cavalier way people angrily boast their stupidity.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2009 2:24:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2009 2:26:27 AM PDT
Jake says:
"The bombshell on this being a shoddy release is open wide already because the pal release is out and ntsc reviewer copies were sent out weeks ago. ... Of course those were reviewers from Pal territories but you think paramount is going to use a different master for the us release..."

Just replied to you with this same point, but what the hey, I'll do it again: There's no such thing as "the PAL version" or "the NTSC version" of a 1080p/24 Blu-ray release. Whether or not it's fair, your confusion about that makes me automatically doubt that you know what you're talking about with anything else here.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2009 7:48:32 PM PDT
M. Parten says:
While perhaps using the wrong terms to describe them, I believe the previous commenter was likely referring to the different regions, i.e Europe as PAL, etc.

Posted on Aug 1, 2014 12:27:44 PM PDT
Santeria says:
I don't mind some comments about pre-releases, especially if the Comments are about too high price in the case of one movie.
However. clairvoyant reviews of product, are silly. With reference to HD... as much as it is nice to have a great print, like I always say, the print may be in High Def, my own eyes are in Standard Res :-). So as long as it is clear, the only other key factor is the 5.1 sound. If it is in Mono, or badly done stereo, or even what I have seen as "4.1" whatever the hell that is.... A good Print , plus good sound is key.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Apr 10, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection (Star Trek I, II, III, IV, V, VI + The Captain's Summit Bonus Disc) [Blu-ray]
Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection (Star Trek I, II, III, IV, V, VI + The Captain's Summit Bonus Disc) [Blu-ray] by William Shatner (Blu-ray - 2009)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,296)