The Art of Racing in the Rain
Used & New from: $0.60
dog narrators Besides the Englert books and this one by Stein, are there other dog narrators out there? Is this a new genre..?
asked by lulu on May 19, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 answers
A
votes
I read a book by Merrill Markoe called Walking in Circles Before Lying Down that was pretty good, and I'm buying Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote - it got pretty good reviews.
K. Zarn answered on May 26, 2008

A
votes
My favorite novel with a dog narrator is Peter Mayle's A Dog's Life. I've also read the others. They're all good, if you are a dog lover.
MaggieMay answered on July 28, 2008

A
votes
While I read this book, it reminded me of another great one I read called Sight Hound by Pam Houston. The story is told from multiple points of view, two of them being dogs. This other book is also a sad one, but great anyway.
CW answered on July 25, 2008

A
votes
I have a book called Beautiful Joe that I got from my grandma many years ago. "Joe" tells quite the story of his life (turn of 20th century). It sort of reminded me of Black Beauty. I'm sorry I can't remember the author, but it seems like there is some connection (publishing or something) with the US Humane Society of the time...
Lou Rush answered on October 7, 2008

A
votes
Has anyone mentioned "Dog On It" by Spencer Quinn? My husband and I loved it. And there was a great deal of humor... Chet the dog is hysterical! A sequel is due out next fall, I believe.
Katherine E. Bunting answered on July 7, 2009

A
votes
Although I haven't read it, Matt Haig's Labrador Pact was supposed to be pretty good. One I've read that I liked, Nop's Trials by Donald McCaig, has a great working sheep dog narrator.
Andrew Mcclung answered on October 12, 2008

A
vote
There's one more I highly recommend called "You Are a Dog: Life Through the Eyes of Man's Best Friend" by Terry Bain, a guy I went to college with. It's more on the humorous side, but parts of it are very insightful into dog behavior.
CW answered on July 28, 2008

A
votes
Trixie Koontz, Dean Koontz's now deceased Golden Retriever has several books from her perspective. "Life is Good!: Lessons in Joyful Living, "Christmas Is Good: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Holiday", "Bliss to You: Trixie's Guide to a Happy Life", plus two more coming out that are geared more for children soon I, Trixie, Who is Dog and another about Trixie and her friend Jinx due out in 2010.
D. B. Giller answered on November 16, 2009

A
votes
Yes! There are so many! I don't think its a new genre per say but I think its one that is gaining popularity lately. The Art of Racing in the Rain has by far done the best job as far as pure literary talent goes, but if you're into mysteries I would have to recommend the Dog On It books. They are hilarious! And a great mystery read.
coolgamer answered on June 9, 2010

A
vote
I just got "Dog On It" on my Kindle! It got wonderful reviews, and while I am not a big mystery fan, or "noir" fan either, for that matter...this book looks wonderfully appealing! Another fun book series that involves a dog narrator and mystery is the "Dog About Town" series by P.J. Englert (I think). There are two books in this series so far: "Dog About Town" and "Dog Among Diplomats". I read the first one...and have started the second. Absolutely delightful! Lots of humor, and a fast paced story to boot. Randolph, the Lab, is a wonderful character.

The dog Enzo in "The Art of Racing in the Rain" is one I will never forget....and will love forever, just as I will Merle of "Merle's Door". I still tear up any time I think of either of them, and both books are considered by me to be personal classics I will always treasure. But...if you'd like a more lighthearted "dog book" that is fun and contemporary, you might also try "Walking in Circles Before Lying Down". Can't recall the author's name, but it's here on Amazon. Charming and funny!
emeleste answered on July 12, 2009
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›

ARRAY(0x98ded498)