Customer Discussions > Steve Jobs forum

We don't get this book on Release Day?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2011 5:36:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 25, 2011 2:59:25 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 7:04:52 AM PDT
Same here. I heard on the news last night that they're moving up the release day, too. I wonder what that means for customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 7:10:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 25, 2011 3:00:00 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 8:23:23 AM PDT
Thinking it might be a good time to turn off the news so we don't hear it all! Things are already starting to leak out because some folks received advance copies.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 8:42:48 AM PDT
M. Talebi says:
I knew I should have pre-ordered this in a book store. :( Thanks for the info!

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 9:24:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2011 9:24:53 AM PDT
Jeff Bezos failed at this. This book should be in the hands on the launch date of the folks like me that pre-ordered. If Bezos was jobs, he would time the pre-orders to arrive the same day that the book hits the shelves. That's what Jobs did with his customers that pre-ordered. Bezos is no Jobs, obviously, but jeez.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 10:48:56 AM PDT
eric frystak says:
I am rather p*ssed off by this as well. I called my local Costco and was informed they would have the book on Monday. I may run to Costco on Monday and grab it. I will keep the Amazon order as well and if I cannot cancel it on Monday; I will simply refuse delivery from UPS.
I wonder if this is driven by the Amazon/Apple battle that seems to take place on certain items.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 10:53:56 AM PDT
No, I don't think it is driven by Amazon vs. Apple. I think its because Bezos doesn't have the credibility with the publishing industry to make it happen.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 1:26:07 PM PDT
W. H. Clark says:
Major fail for Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 2:45:43 PM PDT
twister411 says:
this wasn't the case in the past because i use too get pre-order the day before or day of release. what is the benefit if i can run to the book store and get a copy the day of. I think maybe with the recent death, the books sales has skyrocketted and they can't keep up with the shipment????

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 2:52:36 PM PDT
twister411 says:
on a side note - i am disappointed the name of the book was changed. the other one was appropriate.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 3:43:28 PM PDT
Andys2i says:
I had pre-ordered this and was hoping to get it on the 24th. Ah well, I can wait as discussed here - http://www.savingtoinvest.com/2011/10/steve-jobs-new-book-by-walter-isaacson-reflections-on-the-life-of-a-pioneer-in-his-official-autobiography.html - there are bound to be a lot of good stories.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 1:36:43 PM PDT
Pre-ordered months ago and the book is ALREADY on sale at London's Heathrow airport! Major Fail for Amazon. Secondly, why pay for the book now when I've read about 4 chapters released through quotes from the news media. Double that Major Fail for Amazon!

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 1:41:03 PM PDT
M. Talebi says:
I called B&N they said they still have books to reserve for the 24th, but it's 30% off the original price.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 4:58:11 PM PDT
Sachin Patel says:
Same here! I got one-day shipping and if it doesn't ship with a release day of the 24th, B&N it is.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 12:34:22 PM PDT
Jimmy P says:
Pre-ordered this book a month ago, today is the release date, and my Amazon status still says 'Shipping soon ...' . Went today to the Barnes&Noble bookstore and they have lots of it on the rack. I could have gotten one from them by now if I was willing to cancel my Amazon order (if I still can) and pay $25 to B&N. - This is the first & last time I am pre-ordering from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 2:26:47 PM PDT
eric frystak says:
You could refuse delivery of the book from Amazon. It will just be returned to them as undeliverable and the price credited back to you. I am a Prime so I am not sure how they would treat the shipping cost to you. Probably will get it back but I am not sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 4:27:23 PM PDT
Vaneen says:
I am not sure why you all assumed a pre-order will arrive on release date?? I have pre-ordered many books (and I am Prime member), and they almost always SHIP on the release date.
Except for the rare book that gets released earlier than previous date....Amazon always notifies of changes in release date....or even price changes....they always notify you by e-mail the expeceted DELIVERY ESTIMATE...Mine was October 25th....as I paid for Next Day delivery...pretty straight forward...no magic!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 4:31:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2011 4:33:22 PM PDT
It could be that a lot of the buyers of this biography are also Apple customers and have expected Apple like service and are disappointed. This may be their first pre-order through Amazon. Apple has set a high bar for customer service. When you pre-order a phone, you get it the same day its released in the store, not 2 days later. I'm also a Prime customer (Amazon customer for 11 years), but I have never pre-ordered through Amazon before. I won't again either. I could walk into B&N today and buy the same book. Pre-orderers should expect no less from Amazon as they expect from Apple. But alas, Bezos apparently doesn't have the same drive for customer service as Apple does.

Apparently, people were able to purchase the book yesterday in certain places, even in Airport book stores. You shouldn't hold Amazon to lower standards than your airport bookstore.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 4:35:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 25, 2011 3:00:25 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 4:50:25 PM PDT
T. E. Kulas says:
It looks like I wasn't alone either in my perception of the pre-order.
It's funny, but I pre-ordered a game for the xbox360 a few months back and it shipped PRIOR to the public release date so I got my copy the day it was released. Seemed like a fair deal to me and this was a major title release.
I thought that a book of this popularity would ship and arrive in the same fashion but my order at the end of the day still says "Shipping soon.."
It's not a huge deal to wait another couple days for it I suppose. I should have it by Friday and then have all weekend to enjoy it :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 4:51:33 PM PDT
Vaneen says:
Did it occur to anybody that perhaps the publisher set the RULE as to the release? So that even if Amazon wished to ship early...possibly their hands were tied?? I wouldn't pass judgement on Jeff Bezos without knowing ALL of the facts! But I do believe some people just live life as a VICTIM....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 5:08:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 25, 2011 3:00:43 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 5:35:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2011 5:38:49 PM PDT
Then why did it say delivery on the publishing date? For months?

No, no one is a victim, some just have higher expectations than others. Some are used to being victims so they stand and take it, like you Vaneen. Others aren't so they protest. You must live in opposite world.

It did occur to me that the publisher probably set the rule, but Amazon was careless with their promises. Don't promise something you can't deliver. This will no doubt be the best seller in 2011, and Amazon screwed it up. You don't need to make excuses for them.

Hello,

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on August 27 2011 (Order# 002-xxxxxx-0663420). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

Walter Isaacson "Steve Jobs"
Previous estimated arrival date: November 23 2011
New estimated arrival date: October 24 2011

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 6:11:05 PM PDT
Vaneen says:
Thanks Kenneth ....I didn't realize I was a victim....although I am not sure of what??? I am not the one BOO...HOOOing about how I got screwed??? Sound familiar?? If I wanted to walk into B&N to buy a book for a higher price I could have...and you could have too. But I, on the other hand will just wait for my book to arrive tomorrow. No victim...no crying....no whinning....I can't say that about you ...my dear Kenneth!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Steve Jobs forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Oct 21, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 25, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Steve Jobs
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson (Hardcover - October 24, 2011)
4.5 out of 5 stars (4,541)