100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween
Can this be used as a double boiler? If I were to turn the lid upside down and put it on top of the pot, can it be used that way as a double boiler?
asked by K. Robertson on July 30, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
Not recommended for boiling water
Zombie Lover answered on February 3, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

no, it cannot

it is too shallow
Chef TK answered on May 8, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

I agree. Also, since cast iron is a reasonably good conductor of heat, instead of the lid being heated by the steam, it could direct transfer the heat from the lower pot, get hotter, and defeat the regulated temperature intent of a double boiler
wcw answered on January 30, 2013
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

What I do do is; if I'm slow cooking something in this; I'll wrap some food in aluminum foil (corn, king oyster mushrooms etc..) and put it on TOP of the lid, cooks well. My favorites are vege packs though. Any vegetable you want + a tablespoon of butter + a few shakes of Old bay, seal the aluminum foil pouch, throw it on top of this when you are cooking, in about 15~20 minutes, BAM! vege heaven.
Twoblink answered on May 16, 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

[Deleted by the author on May 8, 2010 6:07:11 PM PDT]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product