5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Bag
Published on April 19, 2010 by FloridaSunshine

1.0 out of 5 stars OLD MODEL - DO NOT BUY
Published 11 months ago by AQW

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Bag, April 19, 2010
This review is from: eBags TLS Mother Lode Mini 21" Wheeled Duffel (Luggage)
I just returned from two weeks in Italy and this was my only bag. I packed 4 pair of jeans, 2 dresses, 2 dress slacks, 5 sleeveless tops, 5 short sleeve tops, 5 long sleeve tops, 3 pair of shoes, socks, undies & personal toiletries including a curling iron in this bag (I did use the expanded space) and still had room to pack 3 bottles of wine in the bag for the return trip. This is an amazingly versatile and spacious bag. Everyone in our party was dragging around a couple of large suitcases while I was able to zip my little bag around with ease. It is well made and appears to have survived the baggage handling with no problems. I travel extensively and this is clearly the best bag I have used. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great carry-on bag!, June 20, 2010
The Mother Lode TLS Mini 21" is a well-designed bag. I love the adjustable divider in the main compartment. The ability to access the front compartment from the outside is really helpful; I put my carry-on "liquids" in the front and it is easily accessible during the security check. There are two mesh, zip pockets in the main compartment where I put my smaller items (socks, underwear, misc) and it is easy to see and access. The over-all quality of the bag is good; easy to wheel about. The handle locations allow me (5'2") to easily stow in overhead compartment. I had no problem with tipping although I did not over-stuff the bag. I would definitely consider buying the matching larger bag because the organization/pockets were so well-thought out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing bag!, July 22, 2010
I cannot believe how much I can stuff in this bag! The compression straps are great, as is the construction. Best piece of luggage ever purchased!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great product with poor quality control but good cust service, March 30, 2013
Lets start off with what I like. Great size, perfect for about one weeks worth of clothing unless you need heavy winter clothing. I love the Sinful red color. It is about a red wine color. It has zippers and compartments to spare. The backing is stiff and it has tie down straps to squeeze the bag without putting too much pressure on the zippers. The material sheds light rains and it is very light for as big as it is. It comes with multiple handles for lifting the bag. It has a strap to add a smaller bag on to it. It rolls nice. It comes with a great warranty from Ebags. It is almost everything I would want in carryon luggage. Based on that I would easily have given 5 stars.

BUT the reason for such a low rating is the quality control. The bag comes with two TLS rods that you are supposed to put in yourself inside the front cover panel. Ebags has a video on how to install it. The side next to the hinge goes in perfectly with a slight bed that I am sure will straighten out as the material stretches. The rod goes in about 2 inches into the bottom rod holder. The side next to the zipper is the problem. The rod goes into the holder less than one inch. Taking a toothpick I can see that the holder is the same depth as the other side. Apparently the holder is made of two parts and they are not joined correctly which leaves a lip inside the holder preventing the rod from going all the way in. I, my wife and my daughter all tried. Ebags could have prevented this problem by just inserting the rods themselves, then they would have been able to detect the problem and correct it.

Ebags has sent us out a replacement bag but it has the same problem proving it was not a fluke. The reps are very nice but do not have much knowledge about the product and we couldn't be transferred to someone who actually knows something about the bag. They are sending us out another one but I do not have much hope. I know I can always take a drill and correct the hole but for $150 you would think that would not be necessary. We leave for our cruise in one week, I hope the other bag works or Ebags can come up with something.

Just to let you know we did not buy this on Amazon. I was going to, but I got a better price directly from Ebags. Sometimes they are higher and sometimes lower.

update **********

I received a call from Ebags today offering to do whatever they could to make it right. They are checking to see if other bags in their shipment have the same problem. This is impressive for a company. I did end up drilling out the rod holder, very easy to do. As I said everything else about the bag is very nice and having a company that cares about customers gets extra points.

1.0 out of 5 stars OLD MODEL - DO NOT BUY, December 13, 2013
Don't buy this older version... buy the eTech 2.0 version, which fixes all the problems with the MotherLode TLS and then some! I had all three sizes of this bag and wanted desperately to like them but I just didn't. The rods are a complete joke - difficult and dangerous to install, impossible to nest the cases with them in, etc. The 2.0 version eliminates the rods completely and uses a simple, quick, and versatile snap system to expand the bags when desired. PLEASE don't waste your money on these bags, but the 2.0 version gets an easy five-stars from me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bag, a bit hyped up, December 23, 2012
We just got this duffel bag and it is everything other reviewers say - versatile, rugged, cleverly designed - but it isn't the next best thing after sliced bread. My first feeling upon picking up the bag was that it was heavy. Because of the hard bottom, the weight distribution isn't even and this may be a problem for people with lesser physical strength. Also for sheer space, it isn't superior as claimed that other 21" bags. If you are a math person, you will recognize that adding compartments to a fixed volume does not add more space but may actually take away space! That said, the idea of the separation is to give one the option of organizing one's items better and allowing easier access during airport check-in. This bag is built for a frequent air traveler and its utility in that respect is undeniable.

One thing I will note here is how the price for this bag changes almost on a daily basis. During T'giving this bag was sold at $98 (yes that is true) and I also saw it advertised for about 50% of the time at $119. But I have also seen it being sold at $150+ at many other times. So if you are not in a hurry, I suggest you wait till after Christmas, it may save you about 50-60 bucks. Funny that the prices for this bag move up and down in real-time like airline tickets!

This isn't my dream bag (which may not exist!), but it is a great bag nevertheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars packs more than it looks!, September 23, 2011
This fit all my warm weather clothes for a 10 day overseas trip. I fit skirts, 1 pair of jeans, tops, sandals, etc. I packed light and hand washed a few items with bar soap. A pair of boots and my bulky cosmetic case i put in a separate bag. I like the compartment flap to keep laundry separated from clean clothes. I dragged this bag over Rome's cobblestone streets and it held up well so far. Fits easily in airplane overhead compartment. I heard the green color bag shows dirt easily, so I opted for the blue which is nice subdued color yet stands out from the sea of black luggage on baggage claim. Well designed and So far so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of room, February 29, 2012
I purchased this bag because it is 21 inches... actually 21 inches, and I was flying Air Canada, which has a slightly smaller allowable carry-on size than airlines in the United States. It was fantastic. It has a lot of room inside and is quite flexible in how you can pack with an adjustable middle divider and zip-up and roll-up divider between the outer pocket and main area. Watch their video. The "eyebrow" pocket was great for my 3-1-1 bag. I was able to pack for a week long ski vacation using only this bag for my helmet, goggles, clothes, & misc. and a Snowboard bag with my board, boots, and outerwear. Adjustable length extension handle was handy. Bag seems quite durable so far, I had it packed full and cinched it hard with the straps on each corner, doesn't even look like it could come unstitched.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out product., March 19, 2012
I ordered two of these bags. I go to Florida twice per year and hate checking bags. With this bag I can fit just about everything I need for a 6 day trip to Disney. The material is rock solid. You can usually tell the quality of a bag by the quality of its closures. The zippers and ratcheting tie downs are A+. This bag is not like the junky stuff you will find at a Super store or department store. If you are an intelligent packer and want to fit as much as possible is a smaller amount of space, then this bag is for you. I would also recommend the E-CUBES. They are very helpful with organization. Quality product. If you want a long lasting tough bag then get this bag. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle Bag, October 18, 2011
I am very impressed with this bag. As a business traveler I take this with me every week for 5 days at a time and am able to fit everything I need without any issue. It is replacing an old Samsonite roll-aboard that lasted me 5 years of hard travel. This ebag amazes me every week with the amount of stuff I can fit into it without ever using the extra expansion. It's light weight, rolls very smooth and has multiple handles to lift into bins. It fits very easily into every overhead bin I have encountered. I also like that it is different than every other black bag out there.