5.0 out of 5 stars Make Every e-Bay Experience a Satisfactory One
Because I'd read another of his books, my expectations were high when I began reading Joseph Sinclair's latest book, "eBay the Smart Way: Selling, Buying, and Profiting on the Web's #1 Auction Site. I was not disappointed.
Published on December 3, 1999 by W. C. Witting

2.0 out of 5 stars Not if you're serious about starting a business...
Published on October 3, 2002 by Matthew T. McClellan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Make Every e-Bay Experience a Satisfactory One, December 3, 1999
W. C. Witting (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: eBay the Smart Way: Selling, Buying, and Profiting on the Web's #1 Auction Site (Paperback)
Particularly in the area of selling on e-Bay auctions, Sinclair answered ALL my questions ... great answers to questions about selling that hadn't even occurred to me to ask. Whether you expect that your e-Bay experience will be a one-shot deal or you are going into an on-line marketing business, this book will be a great resource.
While I'm just ramping up the sell side of my e-Bay activity, I've been active on the buy side for some time. I wish I'd had the information from Sinclair's chapters on buying on e-Bay about a year ago, ... my success rate would have been a lot higher.
This book is a must for e-Bay novice or veteran, buyer or seller. If you are into marketing on e-Bay in any serious way, you should not be without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fast and informative reading, December 14, 1999
Michelle Tully (Southern California) - See all my reviews
I found this book very informative reading. I have been buying and selling on ebay for the past year and Mr. Sinclair gave good common sense ideas that I had never thought about. He has taught me how to use ebay more to my advantage both in acquiring merchandise and selling items.
For those new to ebay he will give you great simple and basic instructions. For those of you more familiar with how ebay works, he gives you great strategy. I highly recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not if you're serious about starting a business..., October 3, 2002
I ordered this book and 'Starting an eBay Business for Dummies' by Marsha Collier at the same time. I've already had some success with eBay auctions, and am seriously looking for some ideas to get an eBay business off the ground. While I found Marsha Collier's book to have a great deal of useful information, this book is more or less 550 pages of pretty useless information to someone already mildly savvy with the eBay process.
If you are new or just beginning with eBay, you might find this book useful, if you want to sit down and read about eBay at length. But the best way a new person will learn about eBay is to get out on the site and play around. Once you have bid and/or sold, I think you'll find that this book doesn't have a lot to offer you.
The only useful section of this book was the area that addressed buying/selling strategies. Not enough info for me to keep the book - it's currently on half.com... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars THE book for Ebaying Smart, July 19, 2000
E. N. Cook "linedrivehit" (Montgomery, Alabama USA) - See all my reviews
(NOTE FROM REVIEWER: I WROTE THIS REVIEW BACK IN 2000; EBAY HAS CHANGED SO MUCH IN 4 YEARS THAT SOME THINGS MAY NOT APPLY ANYMORE. FOR INSTANCE, THERE IS NO LONGER A NEED TO KNOW HTML LANGUAGE TO DRESS UP AN AD. WHAT FOLLOWS IS THE REVIEW AS WRITTEN 4 YEARS AGO.) I bought this book because I was interested in getting into ebay and it was the perfect book. Not only did it have the basic information that a beginner needs, but it is also a great reference tool for people who are seasoned (like I am now). I buy and sell on ebay and it has great tips for both buyers and sellers. It tells you the best way to bid to get an item for the lowest price. When to bid, how to know what to bid, how to outfox your competitors. I continually refer to the book when I am listing an item for sell to find out how to dress up my ads with bullet points, colored titles, and paragraphs (instead of the one paragraph that ebay allows you when you don't know HTML language). Mr. Sinclair tells you how to know what to set as the opening bid, when the best time to list an item is, and how to attract bidders. He also tells you how to deal effectively with other ebay members, inlcluding those who don't honor their bids. The book is full of inside tips that you can't find on the ebay tour online. I highly recommend the book to anyone interested in getting started with ebay, or a seasoned ebayer who would like to learn how to be a more successful buyer and/or seller. After reading this book, you can definitely do it the SMART way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for buying *or* selling on line., May 5, 2000
The most incredible auction I ever saw on eBay was under "HOT" items (meaning it had over 30 bids) for "a wee bit of good advice." I couldn't resist, so I checked it out. Yes indeed, some fellow was selling a few minutes of advice and counsel to the highest bidder.
My purchases were primarily books, but I made some foolish mistakes when I started buying on e-Bay. By the time I bought Sinclair's book, I was a seasoned eBay buyer and seller, but after reading his book I realized there was still quite a bit that I didn't know.
If you're going to spend more than $50 on eBay in your lifetime (which by definition would include everyone in the Milky Way Galaxy) you need to buy this book.
Good layout, good size, easy to read, simple writing style, yet very informative and a fantastic price - considering the potential savings (and profit) from following his advice.
The part I loved best - you don't have to be a computer genius to read and comprehend what he's telling you. My computer literacy is a few notches higher than Daisy's. (she's my dog) And I was able to follow pretty much everything Sinclair is saying.
And there's also a section on how to protect and defend yourself against fraud.
It's over 400 pages and is fully indexed. Lots of good graphics too.
Seriously - if you do more than a couple eBay transactions per year, this book is needful and valuable. As much for buyers as for sellers.
I'd have saved myself close to $100 if I'd bought it before I started trading on eBay.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not So Smart, February 9, 2001
I was quite disappointed in this book. I've been using eBay for a couple of years as a buyer, and hoped to start selling, and was looking for books to help me out with the finer points on details and procedures of selling on eBay. This is not the book for that. When tackling important topics, the author chooses to discuss just one way of handling an issue, and ignores the others. For example, instead of reviewing various ways of constructing a listing page, he chooses the simplest way, and only discusses 2 kinds of software, out of the many that are available. I would have preferred a comparison of what's out there. Also, in many places, the author goes into way too much detail about the most basic issues (such as how to choose a color for your listing page background), and then skimps in others which I believe are more important (he gives no real advice on how to figure out how to post a listing!). Also, he almost totally neglects to discuss selling or buying antiques & collectibles items, in favor of new items and electronics. This seems ridiculous to me, as most of the action on ebay is in the used sections. The reason he gives for this is that he's more intersted in new items & electronics; as a reader, I'm not interested in his personal interests, I want a fuller picture of the whole of eBay, and I would hope that he'd do more research. So, I'm sorry that I bought this book, it's pretty much useless to me. It may be informative to someone who's never seen eBay before in their life, but I'm sure that there are many more books that would be more worthwhile.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the eBay buyer or casual seller, July 2, 2000
If you are an eBay buyer or casual seller, this book isn't for you. This book is more appropriate for someone whose goal is to setup an entire business around eBay rather than those of us who use eBay casually.
I was hoping to learn expert bidding and selling tips and tactics. Instead, the book focused more on tools and how to improve sales processes.
I was also amazed that in the section about credit card payments, services like Paypal were not even mentioned. I could over look this if it weren't for the fact that the book was published in December of 1999.
If you are primarily an eBay buyer or only sell a handful of items a month or year, I'd look elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars not what i was hoping for......, May 18, 2000
this book was a disapointment. though very easy to read, it provided only a superficial definition of the many aspects of online buying and selling. there is no reference value to this book. i would recommend this book only for the individual that has no auction or online experience and is wondering "what is ebay"? for the more literate or experienced user, try the official ebay guide written by laura and michael kaiser. again ....... this book was a great disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wishy-washy at best, December 22, 2001
By A Customer
I was very disappointed in this book. I am trying to do serious research on how to set up a full-time eBay business, so I expected advice on the finer points of setting up, marketing and managing my auctions. The author is wishy-washy at best, and offers little advice beyond repeating things like "customer service is important," "respond to buyers promptly," etc.--over and over again. DUH.
For topics such as "when to list/close your auction," the book tells you to target your closings for when your audience will be watching. DUH. Where are the statistics on when different users are on eBay? Where are the links to sites that can tell you about eBay statistics? Please, tell me something...anything...
One of the main reasons I bought the book was for a list of wholesalers where I could obtain Closeout merchandise. The list was limited to about 17 entries in the Closeout section. Most of these were not closeout dealers. In the list, about half the entries were invalid URLS. About half of the remaining entries looked like scams. The rest were auction sites, etc. that have fairly low prices, but not low enough to be "wholesale;" you may get a good deal as a buyer but don't use these sites to fill your inventory!
If you are an eBay novice this book gives you general info about eBay (though some of this information is wrong and violates eBay policy...the author suggests you can email losing buyers from another seller's auction to advertise your own auction). However, you can find this info out yourself if you read the eBay Help pages and tutorial.
In summary, I found this book to be a whole lot of....nothing.

2.0 out of 5 stars neither thorough nor current, April 23, 2002
By A Customer
I work for a firm that is expanding its existing eBay presence. The boss bought this book and thought it was wonderful, but I'm the person who runs the day-to-day eBay sales. After reading it I had to send him an immediate e-mail warning. He had underlined advice that would have harmed our business.
We subscribe to a leading eBay sales assistance service that author Joseph Sinclair doesn't mention anywhere in the book. The chapter devoted to the subject ignores it and several other packages that are popular with successful eBay merchants. Sinclair overlooks the database management, e-mail correspondence, and marketing report features of these eBay software packages. Instead he prefers inferior tools.
Sinclair's methods should function well for people who like to work long hours constructing spreadsheets and databases from scratch. His review is comprehensive if you never want to weigh the relative merits of PayPal and Billpoint, don't care what percentage of real world customers leave feedback, and won't ask whether eBay's premium listing options are worth the investment. Go ahead and follow his advice about linking to outside sites from auction listings and backing out of deals with valid auction winners if you aren't fazed by the prospect of disciplinary action for violation of the eBay user agreement.
...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

eBay the Smart Way: Selling, Buying, and Profiting on the Web's #1 Auction Site
eBay the Smart Way: Selling, Buying, and Profiting on the Web's #1 Auction Site by Joseph T. Sinclair (Paperback - November 26, 1999)
Used & New from: $0.01