eBooks price higher than paperback price

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2012 9:36:46 AM PDT
SurfinSD says:
HOW are they justifying the eBook price being more than paperback prices? (Asides from greed.) Really, people. There are no physical costs of printing, transportation, middlemen, etc., etc. WHY in the world are there eBooks that are more expensive than the paperback version?
Example: Crossfire Series. I'm sure there are more....

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 3:55:08 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 9, 2012 3:55:37 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 3:55:21 PM PDT
I was just this minute thinking the same thing. Even it they are the same price it still bothers me tremendously. Greed in the publishing business. We can only lend an e-book one time thru Amazon, whereas a "paper" book can be read by an enormous number of friends. Every "paper" book read thru lending is a dollar lost to the publisher. The principle of pricing is sending me back to the bookstore as of this minute, rather than buy the e-book.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 3:18:00 PM PDT
Buioch says:
The loaning of paperback versus digital is one issue, but for me the fact that it is less expensive to produce a digital book. I don't understand why they are the same price and many times more expensive. When you have a new book that sells for $17 hardback and $15 for digital, and then the paperback is released a year later for $8. How can it cost so much more for a new digital book and yet 1/2 the cost for a paperback. Ridiculous!

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 1:25:03 PM PDT
I have chosen not to by Reflected in You right now for this very reason. I am really ticked that the ebook is more expensive than the actual book. I know it's only 99 cents, but it shows a greed by the publisher to take people for their money.

On a general note, I think that ebooks should be less expensive than hard copies. For years, publishers justified the costs of books by saying "Oh, the cost of printing and paper" yadayadayada... so that in and of itself should make ebooks cheaper.

I hope the price for Reflected in You drops. I really want to read it, but I refuse to be screwed like that.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 5:35:45 AM PDT
I totally agree about the pricing. I have started boycotting the "big publisher's" books because of their extreme pricing. I have found lots of independently published books that are just as enjoyable but priced from from .99 to $4.99. The only book I purchased for more than this was 1,000 pages long, so I felt it was justified. I am a book publisher and know exactly what costs are involved with digital books vs. printed books, and there is no reason that digital should be more expensive. I hope others will join me in avoiding high priced books and finding new authors' works to enjoy!

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 12:04:54 PM PDT
SurfinSD says:
Wow. I'm so glad I'm not the only one enacting my own little boycott against the ebooks I feel are overpriced! I posted something similar to the general Kindle discussion and a bunch of people who are sick of seeing "overpriced eBook complaints" took the time to shower me with overly witty responses. Don't really know why they bother to read/respond to the likes of me if they are so sick of these comments...

Sorry. Had to vent.

But, yes, I don't understand the eBook-for-more-than-paperback/hardback pricing strategy and refuse to support it. Like Robert, I have found many interesting reads in the $3.99 and lower lists. Plus, I love the Daily Deals where we can get eBooks for $1.99. Requires some work to check out the books daily, but I've found some books that I would otherwise have never read.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:53:15 AM PST
Mattie says:
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 6:57:27 PM PST
I really want to read this book. I guess i will buy the paperback since it is over a dollar cheaper.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 10:58:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2013 10:58:55 AM PST
PaulF says:
It seems that over the past couple of weeks the prices of ebooks on Amazon have gone up. Ebooks I purchased last year were always cheaper than the paper versions, but I just finished a marathon shopping spree (not biuying anything because I'm rather outraged) and ALL the ebooks are more expensive than hardbound or paperback versions! Some as much as 200%.

I like ebooks, love them actually, because of the convenience. I quadrupled my total annual book purchases since I got my tablet just because of this one detail. But no more... I'm going back to ordering through my local bookstore. Amazon Kindle is amazing, but I guess it was only a matter of time before they started price gouging for this kind of product.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Reflected in You (Crossfire, Book 2)
Reflected in You (Crossfire, Book 2) by Sylvia Day
4.6 out of 5 stars   (5,140)