4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile addition to your Wii accessory

Published on August 27, 2011 by Gee

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Hold a Charge
Published on September 17, 2011 by Samantha K. Powell

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile addition to your Wii accessory, August 27, 2011
This review is from: eForCity® Rechargeable Battery/Charger Compatible With Wii Fit Balance Board (Video Game)
So far, so good. A few notes:

1. Installation is easy. Easier than putting in new AA batteries. It can only go in one way and it's relatively sturdy, so even if you try to put it in the wrong way, you'll probably not break it. You could if you really try, of course, but someone that determined is going to break it anyway. Once installed there's no real reason to take it out again until it eventually dies (as all batteries, mortals and love affairs must) so it shouldn't have a lot of wear & tear problems.

2. Other reviewers have said it didn't hold a charge very long, but I've used mine for 3+ hours at a session without recharging and had no problem. Charging it up did take a while, though. I wonder, did they let it fully charge before trying it? Sometimes the quality control of battery manufacturers can be a bit dicey, so it might be one or both of those things. IMO, given the price of this thing, it's worth rolling the dice on it. AA batteries can be comparably expensive unless you buy in bulk or steal them from the office.

3. Charging is easy: just plug the thing in. The Wii only has two USB ports, which is fine for most users. You can plug this thing into any USB port, though, so if you have a PC with a USB port that charges (sometimes they don't charge electronic devices all that well--the vagaries of USB ports are many...) an AC adapter or some other means you could use that and then you wouldn't have to unplug or Rockstar or whatever device. Once charged the LED turns from red to green.

4. The unit does "stick out" from the bottom of the balance board a bit (as do the rechargable packs for Wii remotes) but not so much as to interfere with the board, and it's shaped so that it doesn't get easily snagged on stuff when putting the board away. Just be aware: it's made to look like that.

5. There is an on/off switch on the battery pack, very near the plug where you put the USB cable. I don't use it, personally, as my board is either leaning next to the Wii charging, or in use. However, I have accidentally turned off the battery and had to spend a little while figuring out why my balance board won't turn on. I don't see the point in having an on/off button on the battery itself, as the balance board already has a power button, so this can sometimes be a little annoying because usually one hits the balance board button with a toe without hardly looking. It's possible (I've only done it once) to accidentally hit that switch while plugging in the USB cord after a workout when you're tired and maybe have shaky hands. The next time you go to use your board, it's easy to just hit the power button without looking, the Wii will search, not find the unpowered board and then error out, and you have a little "Huh? What's the matter? Oh, OK, that's what's wrong" moment. It's not a big deal, and not enough to merit losing one of five stars, but were this a 1-10 scale it'd lose 1 for the design that put that on/off switch where it is, how tiny it is, the fact that it doesn't have a colored "on/off" marking on the switch itself... or for being there at all.

6. There's an exterior button that allows you to push the connection button on the Wii balance board. I've never had to use this button as I put in the battery pack after having already connected the board, but it seems like it should work without any difficulty. It's not a sophisticated connection (just a plastic button pushing down on the plastic button of the board itself) but there's no reason that shouldn't work perfectly well.

So, overall, this gets around 9 out of 10.

EDIT 1: OK, I got almost exactly 3 months of use out of this product before it died. It pretty much completely failed; no slowly losing power and lasting for a shorter and shorter amount of time, which makes me wonder if it was the batteries in the unit or some aspect of its connection. In any case, 3 months seems like not much time for a rechargeable device, so I'm going ahead and knocking a whole star off the review due to the lack of longevity. Still, it's more or less competitive with batteries, and I liked the first one, so I'm going to order a second and see if it lasts longer. Another edit to come if that one lasts more or less than 3 months.

EDIT 2: The second unit that I received is different from the first. It's not the one pictured. It was too cheap to bother complaining to the seller about, though, so I'm going to try it out anyway. The differences:

1. Unlike the previous unit, this one is flat and flush with the balance board.

2. The charging cable is not USB to a power input, but USB to mini-USB. That means the mini-USB power input points straight out, perpendicular to the unit itself. However, the mini-USB connection on the power cable that comes with the unit is set at 90 degrees, so it's still possible to plug it in without it sticking out, bending the cord or anything like that; the balance board can still be plugged in and stored "face up" if you will... unless you lose that cable. There are plenty of standard USB to mini-USB cables out there, but finding one that is angled might be a bit of a problem. Personally, I find mini-USB connections to be flimsier than the power input on the previous version, but we'll see if it becomes a problem.

3. Installation remains easy and idiot-proof for all but the most determined idiots.

4. The LED on this unit turns red when charging. Unlike the previous model, when charged it turns off. There's no green for "charged" on it.

5. The instructions are translated from Chinese apparently, and using horrible software. A sample: "The battery pack can be charged alone for using the Wii Console. Then the Balance Board can be serviced when putting the battery pack with full- electricity [sic] into the battery jar of it. If the Balance Board should be pass through the protocol verification with the Wii Console. [sic] it can via the SYLC hole to connect with Wii Console to play games." Fortunately, unless there's some nuance that I'm missing there, using this thing should be pretty explanatory.

6. Unlike the previous unit, there is no on/off switch. I didn't really care for that "feature" in the first place as I thought it was more annoying than helpful, so that's not a complaint.

I've not used it much yet, so I can't speak to battery life. So far it seems perfectly servicable. I'll post a third edit should anything seem amiss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for the price!, October 8, 2010
My boyfriend was upset that I bought an off brand product for our Wii Fit Board. But for $5 including shipping I couldn't resist! Although it didn't come with any instructional booklet to tell me how to charge it, it was still worth the money. When you charge it, turn it on. Charge it for 8 to 12 hours when it dies. If you know this you will be fine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, April 22, 2011
CB02864 (Cumberland, RI) - See all my reviews
I have absolutely no complaints on this item. It holds a charge for a very long time. I charged it over a week ago, use my board for an hour a day and it still has pretty much a full charge. Definitely worth the money! I don't know if it makes a difference, but when I'm done with the board, I make sure to shut the pack off (the on/off switch is another option I like also)

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Hold a Charge, September 17, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Like many others, I received this item quickly, but with no instructions for use or invoice for return. It does not hold a charge and I have left it plugged in waiting for it to charge for 16 hours. When disconnected, the balance board immediately powers down and will not power back on. When I plug the charger back in, light is still red, indicating that there is no charge. Bad news bears.

1.0 out of 5 stars Charger, March 11, 2012
The charge doesnt last very long. A red light comes on when you plug it into your computer to charge but you never know when it is fully charged. No instructions. Dissapointed in this product

1.0 out of 5 stars Wished it worked, but absolutely no charge...do not buy...buyer beware., January 5, 2012
I received this as a gift...was very excited, as I always forget batteries for my balance board.

Like other reviewers, no instructions. Also, the box was flimsy and banged up (not that I think that's the reason it doesn't work).

As a fairly analytic person, I tried the following to charge this contraption:
1. Plugging the USB into my computer without it being in the board (for 24 hours)...didn't work.
2. The same, but it being in the board...didn't work.
3. Plugging the USB into a brand new wall phone charger without it being in the board (for 24 hours)...didn't work.
4. The same, but it being in the board...didn't work.
5. Plugging the USB into my old Amazon Kindle charger...well, you get the idea...

This is a piece of junk, save your money and invest in rechargeable batteries or a bulk pack of cheap batteries. At least you'll be able to use your balance board.

If I could return, I absolutely would. I wish it worked...it's a great idea, just poor execution.

EDIT - after looking at the positive reviews, I thought maybe I missed something. My charger looks nothing like the charger in the pictures shown. There's no on/off switch on mine, nor does it stick out. It's flush to the machine. I forgot about the USB in the Wii itself, so I'm trying that as a last ditch effort while I wait for Amazon to send me some actual batteries.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, January 5, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
As another reviewer has stated, this item is different from what's pictured. That isn't the problem. The problem is this doesn't work. I fully charged it, put it in the Wii Fit (which is a nice fit) but the Wii Fit keeps turning off after only a few seconds. I've tried recharging, but same results. Might just be a faulty unit, but for the price it's not worth the money to return it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, January 31, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
First of all I didn't get the one pictured, the one with an on/off switch. The one I got does not work and it does not have an on/off switch. I charged it over night in the Wii's USB port on the back. Put it in this morning and it only worked for 20 minutes. I also treid charging it in the computers USB and still no go. I guess they do not make a good rechargeable battery pack for the Wii Fit. :( It's pretty cheap but don't waste your money on this one. The seller did give me a refund with no problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay charger, December 17, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I got this charger within the "5-in-1" set of accessories for the balance board. I plug it into a wall outlet rather than into the Wii. It says "charged" after about 10 minutes...but I usually leave it plugged in for a couple of hours. It doesn't seem to hold a charge very long....maybe two hours of use....so I keep the 4 batteries I was using in a zip lock bag with the battery cover....and if I am in the middle of working out and the balance board stops, I take out the battery pack and plunk in the batteries. It is kind of annoying to have to take the battery pack out pretty much every day, so I am thinking maybe I should use the usb port and just port it into the wii...keep it plugged in.....so it is always fully charged.....

Okay. i have had this for a few weeks now. I learned to just keep it plugged into the USB...then unplug when I am going to use it, so it never runs out of charge. However....the "charged" light has burned out. WhenI plug it in (whether USB or into the wall) it doesn't light up. At first I thought the thing was already broken, but so far it seems to be just the indicator light.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredible rip-off, November 7, 2011
Glen R. Elliott (Sunnyvale, CA United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bought 4 of these rechargeable batteries, having had ones before that worked great. These will not hold a charge. One lasts less than an hour; another lasts 10 minutes--after an all-night charging.

Absolutely do no recommend purchasing this product.

Have yet to figure out how to contact the seller to complain directly.

Rate and Discover Movies