Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Shop Now HTL

Color: BlackPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$2.99+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on April 13, 2010
Even including the price of shipping, this thing still cost about 10% of what it'd have cost at a local electronics shop, so it already has that going for it. Add to it that it's got gold contacts (a bonus which I wasn't expecting) and that it's retractable (I hate dangly wires in my car!), and playing tunes through my cell phone or MP3 player, the sound is clear and no distortion is detectable. Of course, I don't crank my sound system to ear-bleed levels, either, but for my purposes (and I've only had it for a day) it just plain works great. I hope to update in a few weeks after I've given it a little more of a workout. (Orig review was 13 Apr 2010) UPDATE 22 Aug 2014: About two and a half years (yes YEARS) or so later this cord did start to break down. It is a thin cord, so I expected it would eventually wear out despite my taking care with it. I started to have to fiddle with the spot where the cord meets the plug on one end to get rid of static, and within another six months or so it became so that the sound faded out and it's difficult to keep it at volume or static free. But I stand by my 5-star review. This thing performed better and longer than I'd expected for a bargain piece of equipment costing less than $2.
on November 15, 2011
If you want this for your car, look elsewhere. I have to hold the cable in the exact write spot to avoid extremely loud static pops on my car audio system.
on May 7, 2012
First of all, I ordered mine from BestDealUSA for $1.77. It arrived 2 days earlier than expected.

Now, for the retractable cord, it is very thin. It comes with no instructions but has this sticker that shows you that you should pull BOTH sides of the cord and not only from one side. It ends are gold-plated (at least it looks like) and don't look like the silver ends in the picture.

When I tested it, the sound was fine and nothing was wrong. There was once when I was pulling it out and it got stuck a little making me fear that it broke. Pulling the cord by itself proved otherwise and I found nothing wrong with it. You must pull it out at a certain length for it to stay there. The most you can pull out and make it stay is about two feet and 2 inches.

Overall I think it is a good deal and worth 2 dollars.
on August 28, 2011
I bought this and when it quickly began to misbehave, I went online to find another. I later realized that I somehow managed to buy this very item twice from the same seller (selling on different websites and bought in different years, hence my failure to recognize the sellers name).

Yes, this product is cheap, and yes, you get what you pay for.

My advice? Just put some more change together and buy one of better quality. I ended up buying one at TJ Maxx that has worked perfectly but sadly lacks the retractable function (this item's best feature).
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 31, 2010
This seems like a practical device, as with a retractable cord, you can adjust the length to what you need. With two 1/8 inch male pins, it is ideal for connecting an MP3 player to a car's stereo system. Basically, the wiring from the two pins winds around a spool in the middle. You pull each pin to unwind the length of cord you want, and when you stop pulling, the spool is supposed to lock in place.

It's a pretty cool idea, but the product doesn't always work as designed. I bought three of these gadgets on eBay, from a seller in Hong Kong, for about a dollar each. One works fine, another locks in place most of the time, and one does not lock at all when the cord is pulled out. I can't say what the actual failure rate of the product may be, and you may have better luck, but in my case it was at least 33%.

The cord unreels to a maximum of about two feet in length, the jacks have gold colored pins, the wiring appears to be of decent quality, and sound quality is fine. When it works as it is supposed to, this is a pretty handy device, however because of questionable quality issues, it only rates three stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2010
Just as described, far cheaper than buying in the store. It's nothing fancy but it gets the job done and that's all we needed it for! Very happy with the shipping time, and over all we have no complaints! Would buy again!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2010
Love the way this thing retracts and doesn't crown my center console with wires like other cables. It's super small, no issues with sound quality, and is long enough to move around your car. Not to mention cheap... seriously a great buy!!!
on November 6, 2010
I bought this product in May, and until now it has been working really well. It's super easy to use, and since it's retractable, there aren't any wires getting in your way. It was long enough to plug into our auxiliary plug and still be able to sit back and use our ipod. Plus, it's super affordable.

However, the sound quality has slowly started to deteriorate over the months. The other day, it finally died completely. The cord must be bad quality, because it started to distort the music or not play all the parts of the song (on one song, it was just the music and no vocals...on others, it is just the left or right playing and not both). It got to the point where you would have to carefully adjust the cord in a special position for the music to come out right, and if it moved at all, the sound would be messed up. It's sort of like having an antenna for the TV, but only having it work if you set it up in a really precise position.

So, overall, it was a good product but it didn't last. It is a lot cheaper than something from an electronics store, though, so it might still be worth it. Just don't expect to be using it next year.
on October 13, 2012
I use this cable to attach my iPhone to my car stereo with the auxiliary port within the center console. Regular audio cables worked fine but the long cabling was a mess and it would get tangled up with my power cord. This cable is the perfect size. I do like that the cable is thin because it makes the entire unit pretty small. The sound quality is great... no different than the fatter and larger audio cables. I have had the cable now for 10 weeks and it has not fallen apart on me.

Of note, the length reported is slightly off... retracted, it is 4" and extended out it is 31".
on October 29, 2010
I don't know if I am more excited about the price or the product. For [...] (w/free shipping), I got a product that works GREAT, and at a fraction of what it would cost at the store. I can now listen to my iPod through my car stero and it is clear and static-free. I would buy this product again and again without hesitation. Plus, it arrived in my mailbox within a few days! A+