Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on May 15, 2010
Well, I just purchased this eMachines ET1831-05, but I have been incredibly impressed. The shipping was super fast (and, no sales tax here in PA!), and setup was a breeze. The computer is fast, quick, and easy to use. Granted, I have had the computer up for less than a day, but it seems to work perfectly so far. Honestly, I don't know why you would need more computer than what this eMachines offers - maybe if you are in to some really intense video games or complicated video editing, you need something greater than this, but don't think because you want to upload a few pictures or videos sometimes that you need to spend hundreds of dollars on a computer. This computer is replacing a Dell that we have had for a good 4 or 5 years, and it is so incredible how much faster, smoother, and quieter this new computer is. Really - just love it so far.

Also, the keyboard and mouse are both very nice. I had wondered whether or not the keyboard had the tabs to make it stand up or whether it was just flat - it does have the tabs to make it stand up if you prefer. Also, the mouse is optical, so no complaints there. Of course, if you didn't already realize it, remember there is no monitor, speakers, or system discs with this computer (I really wish computer manufacturers could just give you the system discs when you buy a computer, but I realize eMachines is not alone in doing this). Again, absolutely no complaints - a great computer for the money.
on May 15, 2010
Recently purchased this unit for my mom. Now there have been a few reviews that were not very complementary to this product, but you have to realize what you're purchasing. I wouldn't purchase this as a high end computer, for what it will do it is perfect fit. She'll be using this for e-mail, some low end games, solitaire, hearts etc and the occasional spreadsheet or document. It took less than 1/2 hour to get it up and running, after I removed all the bloatware(not much just items that cost $$$ later on). I tested all the peripherals and everything works fine out of the box. Installed Openoffice, Firefox, Zonealarm & AVGFree (all freeware and very good)now she has a safe computer to do everything she needs.

I would recommend this for the people that require low to medium performance, it fits that niche. At $320.00 delivered from Amazon you can't beat it. Windows 7 is about $120.00+ alone. So if you're looking for a computer and on a tight budget this is the one for you.
on March 20, 2010
When I first ordered the eMachine ET1831-05, I was a little bit unsure about this purchase. I've heard the stories of people receiving their computers, then finding out that they don't have Windows, or the computer won't boot up. Not the case with me, at least. It booted correctly right out of the box. Setup was a breeze, and took all of 10 minutes. It starts up and shuts down extremely fast, and works a lot better than my Acer with Windows Vista. Just a warning- the 500gb hard-drive is only 452gb, so don't plan on that exact amount. It has 6 USB ports, 2 in the front, and 4 in the back. The CD/DVD drive reads extremely fast, and there is a port to install a second drive if desired. For anyone who has a surround sound setup, this PC does support that. Don't expect to play any new PC games, however. I have tried a variety of games, ranging from Half Life 2 to Assassin's Creed, and it can play a fair amount of games (Half Life 2 runs pretty well, no lag), but it can't touch games like The Witcher, or Assassin's Creed.

On to Windows 7

This computer works extremely well with Windows 7. It loads extremely fast, updates well, looks nice, and there is virtually no lag with the operating system. The new features Microsoft came out with are very nice, and make using this computer very efficient. Windows 7 is an improvement over Vista in every way.

*Update*

I actually recently switched back to Windows XP. The only downside of Windows 7 is the lack of "XP Compatibility Mode", which is only available on Windows 7 Ultimate.
on April 22, 2010
I got the computer in three days and this this is amazing. I haven't had it long and i really haven't used it much but this thing is the best computer I have ever owned! seriously if you want a PC with win 7 on it get this NOW!!! I used to own a Laptop and it got to the point of no return, so I got this and it runs circles around my old lap top, and has 6X yes 6X the hard drive space of my old lap top. get this computer if you want an awesome value!!!

Edit: This computer is still in good shape but over the course of three years is starting to show its age. I upgraded it with a newer gfx card and processor but I got a newer faster computer and this does not compare. But I still stand by this product. I will say do not rely on windows 7 backup for restoring from a crash because it wont work for some instances go to your software store pick up a 500 or bigger HD and backup software you'll be much better off than what windows 7 has to offer in the backup department. Also anti-virus software installed is Nortan and if you want to keep it you will have to pay for it so keep that in mind. the same with Microsoft office you have to pay for it too but it's pre-installed. overall great computer but in 2013 not as good of a value as it once was.
on June 26, 2010
This is more a recommendation and laudits for Amazon rather than the E-machine...I received my e-machine in record time (when told it would be over 2 weeks I got it in 2 days from Amazon). I uploaded, downloaded and began my usage. On day two when I downloaded my Print Shop 22 program it all crashed. I KNEW it was the Print Shop program. I had also connected my old hard drive via an external hard drive device. This crash wiped out all my "old" information, literally my life. I had support from E-machine or Ace people, but nothing worked. I never had a chance to make my recovery disk - it would not create it and was told it would be 10 working days before I could get one from the Acer people. I actually received it in about 5 days but it would not work either. The machine had been fried I guess (don't know terms or how things work but the computer would not even come up when turned on.) I was given labels, info, etc to return it to the Acer place in Longview TX and they were to "mend" it and return it to me. I then decided to return it to Amazon. I had already discarded all packing and boxes, but Amazon said no problem, just send it back to them (with a supplied label). I did so and within a week I had my refund in process. I did buy another E-machine, bigger and better and did NOT load any Print Shop on it. I am VERY happy with my new machine and ELATED with Amazon. I would not hesitate to EVER purchase from Amazon -- they are amazing.
on April 18, 2010
I am amazed the word 'Celeron' is used to describe a lower level processor because this computer with basic 3 Gig memory and Celeron processor really works smoothly out of the box. This is our second computer with Windows 7 pre-intalled and one earlier came with a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it was available (so it was built considering the operating system soon to be released). Computers made for Windows 7 are a pleasant surprise and this e-machine is no exception. For the average home user (no heavy graphics type gaming), this computer runs Office 2007 and multiple browser windows all at the same time very well. It's runs cool, quiet and fast. Even the Norton security that came pre-installed was a nice surprise, in the past I would get rid of Norton as soon as I could get Trend installed but I may have to re-think Norton as the software is easy to use and manage.
on February 20, 2010
I was reluctant to get this model being that it is an emachine but cash is tight right now for me so I took a chance. It set up very easily and everything works as it should.. sound card and everything. Now I am not a gamer so I don't need huge resorces. I am pleased and happy with my purchase and glad to not be out $200 + more which is what I would have been for a similier type cpu. Good deal and very fast.
on July 18, 2010
If it was a new car it would be just a plain old generic silver sedan model, no high end quad core or super high capacity hard drive; but the machine is quiet, and stable. And it's probably still faster than most high end models that were purchased more than 5 or 6 years ago! Tech support was decent too, and fairly quickly solved an issue I had where an updated video driver intermittently killed the ps/2 mouse port (of all things!); which I never could have figured out without their help. I was sure it was a hardware problem and was ready to give this machine a royal hosing of a review. Granted their solution was harsh - save all your stuff somewhere else and re-install the operating system; but it worked. Now I just have to remember to not update that video driver ever, unless I find the fix mentioned in the readme. So I can't give it 5 stars.
on May 30, 2010
First day out of the box, no problems. Windows 7 sniffed out and installed the updated drivers for my old printer and scanner while I just sat there. The set up was very smooth and the machine is quiet. The case feels a little cheesy (but it looks good), and the DVD drive sounds a bit rattle-y when it opens, but hopefully, it will hold up.

Second day caveat: I thought I could get around the ad-laden MS Works by installing my old Works8. BIG MISTAKE. To make a long story short, it morphed into the preloaded version and got both screwed up. So I uninstalled version8...but that also uninstalled the pre-loaded version. I tried to revert the drive, going back to a previous version...all the obvious stuff. Nothing worked. I had burnt system recovery discs first thing. So, I tried to re-install/recover the OS to factory settings (I'm not a techie, but have done this on every PC since Win 3.1). It fried something...half way thru the restore, the dvd drive was not recognized. The retailer, Best Buy, exchanged it for another one. They would have given me $$ back, but since it seems like a good machine, I decided to give it another chance. I'm a little wary of ever having to use the recovery/restore functions again, but hopefully the machine I returned was a lemon.

With the exception the afore mentioned Works 8 and MS Publisher 98 (that I still occasionally use...I'll just run it from my XP laptop) my old software(dating back to 95 & ME era)are up and running, although I had to use the 'compatability function' for one program. This was a pleasant surprise as was the fact that I haven't had to pay for any new peripherals. The only thing I decided to buy is a USB Fax Modem for $17.00 (inc delivery)from an Amazon vendor for the occasional fax.

Windows 7 is smooth as can be...no crashes or black/blue screen issues so far. It took a little getting used to, but now all I miss (for sentimental reasons) is the hourlglass which has been replaced by a swirl. It boots up so fast, I barely have time to pour a cup of coffee.

Like other reviewers, I would say that this is an unbeatable value for those of us who use a desktop for web browsing and document work. I can see that this may not be a machine for gamers and sophisticated graphics. I'm not planning to do any tinkering and just stay with basic installed operations...there is reason to believe that eMachines tech support is effectively ueless.

But so far, this is a wonderful value.
on April 13, 2010
i recently bought this computer, after having a very old emachines computer from 2004, and its a really great computer. it is 10 TIMES FASTER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE!!!!! i saw that it only had an intel celeron and thought that it wouldnt go great with fsx, but this is by far the best computer. i can finally play in ultra high graphics. I HIGHLY recommend this computer. it is even better than some HP computers