on August 11, 2010
I ordered the laptop using my Prime account on Monday and it arrived two days later, as promised. The laptop comes in a simple, cardboard eMachines box with basic instructions: Put in Battery, Plug in, Turn on.

Upon opening the monitor, I notice shelling is made of a thin, flat black plastic. A little on the cheap side, but this laptop is not meant to go off-road. Acceptable. The monitor is wide and very crisp. I was very disappointed in the video card. Granted, it is an integrated 4500M, but the resolution display cannot go any higher than 1366x768. I like my icons and screen to appear smaller, so I can essentially fit more onto my screen. The keys are well spaced and firm to the touch, so there is no accidental key-pressing. There is also an integrated accounting key-pad on the right, something my previous Compaq M2100 did not have, a plus for accounting/econ majors. The power cord seems pretty sturdy. Unlike my previous Compaq which was victim of a weak neck, the power cord is a 90 degree plug and reinforced with thicker amounts of synthetic plastic/rubber. Finally, the laptop weighs in at 5.65 pounds.

This laptop will be used for basic everyday use: Internet Browsing, Mail, Social networking, remote networking into work, MS Office and Videos/Music. I do not plan on using any photo or movie editing programs. I was able to browse the internet a bit. I checked my mail and social networks. The laptop seems efficient, but when I attempted to run two tabbed windows (Car Forum and Ytube) at once, one of the windows (YTube) crashed! Luckily, it was quickly recovered Windows. Not a big deal for people with patience, but I always run multiple tabs so this might be a problem in the future.

The laptop comes with Windows 7 64-bit, a plus. It also comes with a 60 day trial of Microsoft office and Norton antivirus.

Overall, I really like the laptop. It lacks power in the dated Celeron processor but makes up for in a strong wireless 802.11b/g/n card, a nice sleek monitor and 160GB available hard drive for storing movies, music and pictures.

For $279 (Amazon Lightning Deal), I am very satisfied with my purchase!

*EDIT*
I was able to fool around with the new laptop some more last night. In total, I used the laptop for about 1.5 hours, MAX. The first 60 minutes comprised of basic internet browsing: Fbook, Amazon.com, and YouTube. Since I did not have available Wi-Fi, I tethered my HTC Snap. Sadly, because I was in the hills of Hollywood, I got very poor reception so my internet was sluggish. I skipped the YTube and stayed on Meebo for some chat.

My next laptop session was later that night at my apartment. I picked up the apartment's Wi-Fi quickly and web pages loaded normally, but nothing phenomenal. The wireless card works well, as expected.

As an avid music junkie, I noticed the Mono-speaker is VERY under powered. I opened Pandora while I was cooking in the kitchen. The noise from the overhead oven vent clashed with the weaker speaker from the laptop. The speakers in my old Compaq M2100 were much stronger. Granted, they were stereo. However, if you have a pair of headphones, watching movies on a plane, car ride or late at night easily solves this problem.

After I shut down, my battery life read 57%. Not bad for about 1.5 hours of web browsing and music streaming while using a mixture of Tether/Wi-Fi. Let me also add, whenever I am not plugged into AC power, I set my screen brightness to the lowest to conserve the laptop's power.

Again, I STILL believe this is a GREAT laptop for the price.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 12, 2010
This looks like an Acer Aspire AS5734Z-4512 NoteBook except it comes with a single core processor (Acer owns Gateway and eMachines).
I am expecting accessories to be well supported and compatible between both brands.
At $279, this laptop is an excellent deal. Ordered on Wednesday, delivered before noon on Thursday.
The laptop is lightweight (lighter than my 13" Apple MacBook) and responsive (DVDs play seamlessly).
It just takes a couple of minutes to configure it. I was able to connect my WPA2 Wireless N network with no issue.
The power adapter accepts up to 240V and the power cord is detachable - this should be usable in Europe.
A webcam would have been a nice addition.

Pros:
Large and bright screen
Full keyboard with keypad
Windows 7 license
Minimal bloatware
Intel processor and video chipset
Reasonably fast and responsive
Up and running in two minutes
Reads DVDs out of the box
Battery comes half charged

Cons:
Single core processor
No webcam
Low powered speaker
Keypad skews keyboard to the right
on August 12, 2010
For the past two weeks or so, I had been on the prowl for the cheapest laptop or net book I could find, as I needed something portable to use with a module on my motorcycle. Constantly lugging the desktop outside simply wouldn't do.

I happened across this machine during a lightening deal (which seems to sporadically going in and out of effect for the past two to three days). For the price, this is an extremely capable machine, understandably with no extras to keep the price as low as it is.

Pros:
Minimal software is included, but free options (Open Office, GIMP, VLC, iTunes) all run very decently.
DVD playback is adequate, although there is some hiccuping as the drive "spools" up initially, but is fine after a few seconds.
The wireless card works better then I would have expected, and has about the same range as my MacBook Pro.
I couldn't easily locate it before purchase, but the screen resolution is 1366 x 768.
Minimal pre-installed bloatware.
Plays Solitaire fine, I wouldn't trust it for anything more intensive than that though.
I was spoiled my Apples' trackpad included with their newest MacBook Pro, but the trackpad on here works quite nicely. While not being multi-touch capable, the included drivers / utilities allow you to set up sections to use as scrolling (for webpages), simulate momentum scrolling, and have hot-sections for gestures / commands.

Cons:
The lid does feel a little flimsy, but under normal use doesn't seem like it should be problematic.
Very cheap, mono-speaker. If you're going to watch movies or play music, make sure you have some headphones.

If all you need as a bare-bones laptop, this machine is perfect. Just about the same price as (if not cheaper than) a good number of netbooks, which gives you an optical drive, at the trade-off of battery life. A little shy of an hour and a half of web browsing forums with brightness at minimum took the battery from full charge to about 45%. I haven't tweaked the power saving options, could probably salvage a little more juice out of it.
on August 13, 2010
You get what you pay for but once in a while a great value floats to the surface and this eMachine proves it. Sure the audio is pretty bad and as noted by other reviewers the little jewel hardly features leading edge performance but if you can hook one for less than $300 its a steal for rudimentary applications...email, surfing the net, amazon-shopping. Excellent wireless performance and good battery life. I still hate MicroSoft but Windows-7 doesn't suck too bad so the whole purchase has been positive. Strongly recommended.
on August 26, 2010
I just received this computer 4 days ago, and most of what I've read in the prior reviews is fairly accurate. This computer is a real bargain. At the risk of overlap, I'll cover the basics:

It's got a nice big glossy 16:9 screen. The glare can be annoying, but it looks shiny and bright.

The keyboard is wide, and there is a number pad on the right. The layout is going to take some getting used to... by habit I keep missing the arrow keys and hit the numpad's enter key by mistake. Otherwise, the keys are large and easy to find.

There are only two USB ports. Well... Two is good.

It has a DVD burner. I really like this a lot. I've been a netbook user for some time, and carrying around a separate device for reading and writing to CD/DVD really defeated the whole portability aspect of the netbook.

It's got 2GB of RAM. Of course this is shared with the video, but there's still plenty left over to handle your personal activities.

The hard drive is small; effectively 149.05GB. It is divided into 3 partitions: 12GB, 102MB, and 137GB. The 12GB is used to restore the system, the 102MB is some kind of system reserved space, and the 137GB is your OS and user space.

As noted by others, the speaker (singular) is rather poor. But hooking up to external speakers or headphones negates this limitation. Besides... Even the best built-in laptop speakers are never that great.

No built in webcam or microphone. Personally I look at this as a privacy benefit. Malicious software can not be used to spy on you. You can always hook into the built in microphone jack and connect a USB webcam if you must.

You can connect it to an external VGA monitor or projector. Higher resolutions are available on them if you do so.

There is a LAN connection on it. Does anyone still use those? Well, it's there if you need it.

The WiFi works just fine. It's finding hotspots all over the place, so no complaints there.

Battery life is a solid 4 hours, and it seems to charge fairly quickly. This will probably degrade over time, but it meets expectations.

Booting and shutdown is fast! Of course if you start to load bloatware, your mileage may vary.

It's Windows 7 Home Premium. I was using XP before. My experience with Vista on others computers was miserable, but this seems to work quite well, and I can get to the "guts" of it intuitively using my knowledge of XP.

The card slot is on the front. I put in a 16GB SDHC card with GNU/Linux and it booted up like magic! Alternate boot devices is achieved by pressing F12 when you power on.

The case itself feels a little flexible. You might consider it flimsy, but I like to think that if it bends, it doesn't break.

The processor is a 64 bit single core processor. At just over 2GHz it's fast and friendly.

So far, I like this computer. I recommend having 4 blank DVDs when you first turn it on to make your backup disks, and you'll be set. Enjoy your new emachine!
on August 18, 2010
First of all, I thank the reviewers who gave excellent review. My purchase is based on low price and your reviews. I opened multiple programs and several browser screens and response is quite good. I watched video from youtube and other internet sources; no problem there. The screen is of good quality. You need not set your eyes perpendicular to the screen. I installed NETBEANS IDE. It's running without a problem. Keyboard is good, except that I need to get used to the DEL key position. The touchpad is on the left of center, again would take a few days to get adjusted. Audio is OK. A Five star ***** from me.
on August 21, 2010
Believe it or not this machine impresses me big time. I'll give you a pro and cons list instead of just my commentary.

pros- THE PRICE! the screen size (15.6 in. WOW), keyboard is pretty nice with numkeys- excellent layout! doesnt come with windows 7 starter but with home! processor 2.2 ghz... newer ddr3 memory 2gb (all an average user needs) wireless that supports even the band N. includes optical drive. much much more.

cons- speakers :( chassis seems like its semi-cheaply made compared to some- power cord sometimes can comeout on you if your not careful with it. trackpad/mouse thingi looks cheap. wouldve been cool to have webcam

but now let me explain the cons away. Speakers- are you kidding me u shouldnt be using a laptop for it speakers bring along some noise canceling headphones (I use my ipod earbuds, and I'm ordering some better ones!) chassis- you shouldnt be ruff with ur laptop anyways (get a good laptop backpack/case/sleeve or something) - Power cord- get over it yah' baby you shouldnt be putting tension or stepping on it anyhow! trackpad- its suprisingly functional go in to its options and speed it up a bit and its perfect for me. webcam- im sure you can buy a portable webcam if you just need that function I really dont use webcams so no problemo for me.

other then that. you will make every1 jealous!!! hehehe when they get their lame netbook you can laugh as u got twice as powerful machine for less. okay, so I think I've made up ur mind by now? if I haven't then who cares; i thought i should atleast make a couple people aware of this awesome deal muhahaha.

god bless. and forgive for grammar, spelling, and the likes :) afterall this is the internet - Nathan out!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 12, 2010
I just received this laptop today thanks to the fantastic deal Amazon had going on. So far so good as far as quality and for speed it is about what I expected. This is not a gaming PC or even close to it. Consider this your web/email/netflix laptop and you will be happy.

The wifi seems very solid and the connection I am getting is top notch. Windows 7 premium is a fantastic bonus. Full keyboard is also a nice plus for someone who likes to use the side numbers like myself. Screen is also very sharp and I am surprised at the overall size, was expecting more of a netbook size for this price but it certainly is a notebook.

For what I am going to use it for this is a fantastic little computer that seems well built. For 280 bucks you really can not go wrong. At full price, 400 would still be a good price for this laptop but expect to upgrade the ram. You can upgrade to 4 gigs ram which will run you around 80-90 bucks. This could really boost performance.
on August 18, 2010
I bought it in the lightening round for my niece to use for school. It is a basic computer which is what you get for the price. I unpacked it and set-up was pretty simple. Almost out of the box it found the wireless signal, and the display screen was crisp and bright. It loaded pages without much difficulty, not lightening fast but reasonable. I stayed online with it for several hours with no problem, so for her computer, connecting to the internet was a snap. I'm not a fan of windows but windows 7 seems decent. I also bought her a satchel carrying case and the laptop is light enough for her to carry with little difficulty and she is pretty tiny. It should be great for stuff like web surfing,email and data storage for her term papers. She has used it for several weeks now and very satisfied. Overall it is a great laptop for the price. If you are looking for an entry level computer, you can't beat it!
on August 17, 2010
I bought this on a lightning deal for $279. Speaker and screen issues. Tons of reported issues with the Realtek rtl8191se wireless adapter. Google it. It will not stay connected to the internet. Went thru about 20 fixes which included new drivers and a factory restore. eMachines said send it back at my cost. Amazon was super though. Ordered for $100 less than anywhere else. Got it in 2 days. Well packaged. Amazon gets an A+. I cannot say the same for eMachines.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

See 1 answered question