5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've seen for the adult beginner on piano
Published on October 10, 2010 by K. Harby

1.0 out of 5 stars Well, uh, it didn't work
I never really got a chance to properly evaluate this software because every time I clicked the audio icon (to hear the setup tones), I got a Javascript error. I tried twice to contact the manufacturer, but I never heard back from them. So . . . back to Amazon.com went the product! By the way, I was trying to use it on a Windows 7 computer with all the latest Microsoft...
Published 4 months ago by Wordwrkr

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've seen for the adult beginner on piano, October 10, 2010
This review is from: eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3 (Software)
I'm a musician but not a piano player, and I've had 4 piano lessons with 3 different people. It turned out to be very hard for these piano teachers, who learned as little kids and mostly teach kids, to understand the needs of a musician adult who is learning piano as an additional instrument. They don't have the appropriate method books, they don't know how to assess what I don't know, they don't know how to make appropriate assignments. I learned very little in those lessons.

This method is just fantastic for me because I can skip over all the things I already know, and I can take the same lesson over and over and over again if I'm having trouble with it, never trying the patience of the computer (unlike the humans!) I've been using it maybe two weeks? and I'm amazed at all the things I've learned, and all the songs I can play. The teacher's videos add just the right touch, the singing on the songs is lovely. There's an accompaniment track for the songs so you can get up to tempo and have fun playing with them. Guitar chords are provided (!) which means I can add the chords I know on selected simple songs to make the lesson more challenging. It's a heavily song-based curriculum, lots of Baroque music, but I'm also working on Piano Man by Billy Joel.

My feeling is once I finish this disk, I will be ready for piano lessons with a human. And I will be playing piano pretty darn well by then, too. I just can't recommend this highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn To Play Piano, June 11, 2010
This review is from: eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3 (Software)
I think this is a great product. It walks you through the basics through more advanced techniques and songs. It also does a great job of teaching you to read music.

It includes short videos of a person playing piano so you can see proper posture and such. Each song comes with (optional) accompaniment, which can make it funner to play (especially with the simple songs). You can also slow the songs down while learning them. The software grades your playing with a percentage score, and gives you details on your errors (if you want them).

This is a great program if you really want to learn to play on your own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to begin practice, September 3, 2010
This review is from: eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3 (Software)
This software is great to begin to practice, I have studied piano before, you always need a teacher and a schedule and practice, but nowadays without the necessary time, this tool offers a simple practice you can enjoy with around 300 lessons, being the first 70 very easy ones ( one handed slow pieces ).

Every time a lesson or song begins you can hear the teacher giving an insight about the song, which I particularly enjoy, it's not only practice but also about music periods, authors, styles, and the soft gives out that information to the student, to enrich the music experience.

Also you can see hear the teacher playing the piano and singing the song, and as the songs have the lyrics on them, you can practice singing along as well.

I look forward to continue practing and once I dominate the beginners songs , I will definetely go for the intermediate advance piano software offered by emedia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great supplement to self learning (must have digital piano) and works with Mac, September 19, 2010
This review is from: eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3 (Software)
I am a newbie and have been learning to play the piano for the past 3 months on my own, using the alfred's all in one adult course book and no teacher thus far. So far so good, and i decided that i needed to see if my tempo and count were correct, I decided to add this program to my learning tools. I have to say, this is a great program to see how much you have progressed on your own. I found the exercises helped to reinforce the beat, the sight reading of the left hand and music theory. Actually, I really recommend you learn from the text book and then come to this program, as you will get a lot more out of it than just using this program on its own:it does go a little fast.

The program offers music theory, sight reading, ear training tests, lots of little tests to see how much you have learnt thus far, video to explain the positioning of the hand, audio explanations; the finger tracker, which is the best part of the program as it tells at the end, the percentage accuracy of your playing. And if you get frustrated at not getting above 95%, for the perfectionist, you can hit a key that plays it back to you on how it should be played! Note that if you hit a wrong note that also counts against you as well as not hitting it or holding it for the right amount of time! You can go back to a previous lesson again and again, which helps to reinforce the point. There are so many little helpers on each lesson, like video or audio pointers.

There are over 300 lessons, so I am looking forward to plowing through them along with the Alfred's course, which compliments this program beautifully. You will need to have a MIDI cable to connect the computer/laptop to your digital piano, which Amazon also sells at a very good price. So worth the money in lieu of a teacher. I will update every couple of months to comment on this program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can Be Used With An Acoustic Piano!, October 4, 2010
This review is from: eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3 (Software)
I have this software also. The previous reviewer is mistaken.

It says right on the box that it CAN be used with an acoustic piano. You need to use a microphone so the program can 'listen' to the piano.

This WILL work with an acoustic piano, as well as a digital piano or a keyboard with a USB/MIDI cable.

The software is really good! Like the previous reviewer, I use it with the Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, February 18, 2012
This review is from: eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3 (Software)
I don't know how to play the piano or even how to read music so I thought I would try this product out and see if it works. I just got the software and tried it the other day. It starts off by teaching you how to read music which I think it is doing very well so far. I definitely am learning how to read sheet music. It also teaches you hand placement and has videos to show you how to play a certain piece. Apparently if you have an acoustic piano and a laptop with a microphone the software will judge your playing skills. I just plugged in the Midi keyboard a got with Rock Band 3 and it works great. The software tells me which notes I am playing correctly and which ones I'm not. So far the software seems great but I still have 298 lessons to go before I finish them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tools and great feedback from playing, September 20, 2011
This review is from: eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3 (Software)
First, I am assuming this is version three, which I purchased from another site. The version number should always be shown in the product description on the listing.

I am in my forties and played the piano for 3-4 years during from about 9-12. I am classically trained (lessons). I knew this may be a little below my level, but I still needed a refresher of all the basics. Further, I wanted assistance in sight reading training, as much as I could get without a teacher. I just purchased a digital piano so I figured I want to try out the interactive sight reading that this software has. The feedback mechanism for sight reading is superb.

Pluses:
- Feedback Mechanism for sight reading (via midi).
- Tools, such as having the song played to you and show a keyboard on the screen with notes playing. Best is you can understand the tempo and how it should sound.
- Menu options-> Ability to jump to lessons or songs.
- Over 100 songs-> The wide variety of songs at various levels is very good.

In one weekend, I completed 92 lessons. I believe there's around 300. I hope to complete the entire package within a month or two. So far, the songs are simple, fit for a beginner. Terminology of sheet music is discussed, such as clefs and all the objects that show on clefs. It's just the right amount of terminology not to be overwhelming.

I would say that this product is great for beginners and people who want to refresh after years of not playing. Feedback is superb, a phenomenal feature which I hope is incorporated in more products. I will be looking for software which allows me to continue training my sight reading skills with such feedback mechanism. This package doesn't allow us to upload songs of my choosing so I can proceed with more complex sight reading. If there isn't such a thing and this company were to create such a product based on their feedback system, I think it would make a lot of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done piano teaching program, July 19, 2010
This review is from: eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3 (Software)
I'm getting more into comuter music and through some keyboard chops were in-order to bang out music with a sequencer. This is a great program for learning the fundementals. I hooked it up with my M Audio keyboard controller and it gives me feedback on my playing. Setting it up with the keyboard was no harder than any other USB device. The method itself is very good and includes popular song to play along with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Software, March 15, 2012
T. Goul "masterkaga" (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3 (Software)
I haven't touched a keyboard/piano in 40 years and decided to pick up the Yamaha YTP-420 bundle which included the trial of this software. After working through the trial (it contains the first four chapters) I immedialy purchased the full version. I am beyond pleased with this software. I quickly got back up to speed on reading music, and am plugging my way through the lessons. The instant feedback is really useful. The times I've experienced latency on the MIDI channel were resolved by restarting my PC. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but space to improve, August 28, 2010
This review is from: eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3 (Software)
I bought this one to replace the 'Teach my Piano' which is no longer supported by its manufacture and cannot run on Windows Vista. I find this one is easy to follow. It can hook up with keyboard through MIDI adapter and monitor the progress.
A lot of notes is just show on screen and not read out by instructor. Lesson lay out is different from 'Teach me Piano'. This one training on both hand in the beginning and 'Teach me Piano' training on right hand first.
I found 'Teach me Piano' is easy to follow and give more clear and accurate feedback on performance, but need CD disk in computer all the time.

This one can install on computer and do not need CD disk anymore.

I do not think this software can replace a real teacher in the sense of posture and fingering skills, but it is a good compensate. As an adult learner, I will probably just follow this one to see how further I can go.

eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3
eMedia Piano and Keyboard Method v.3 by eMedia (Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger / 10.5 Leopard / 10.6 Snow Leopard, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$59.95 $54.99