4.0 out of 5 stars Decently bright, stable temperature
I bought this bulb because I needed some bulbs to use in photography with fixed light sources. I bought this one because its temperature is 5500K and supposedly stable at that.

Published on August 16, 2012 by Zach S.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Useless!
Published 23 months ago by M. Kalagias

4.0 out of 5 stars Decently bright, stable temperature, August 16, 2012
Zach S. (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ePhoto Photography Video Perfect Daylight CFL Fluorescent Light Bulb 5500K Daylight balanced 45W (Camera)

I found through my own testing that the temperature and brightness remain stable after you give it about 5 minutes to warm up (I took a series of shots at 1/200S in burst mode and checked the temperature of the light in each frame to test). After about 5 minutes the brightness is stable and the temperature is as well... With most CFLs the temperture and brightness will fluctuate at about 60hz (household current frequency).

This bulb purports to be as bright as a 200W incandescent would be, but I don't really agree with that claim. It's marginally brighter (according to my camera's light meter) than a 100W bulb, but not by much. It's about 25% brighter than the 22W GE bulbs that claim to be 100W equivalent.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BULB - GREAT PRICE, January 15, 2011
This bulb was purchased to replace a bulb in a photo lighting set which was broken. At $9 with free shipping, it's a great value. Well packaged. But the bulb works as good as the original which would have cost me over double. So, I would not hesitate to buy again and recommend to anyone else looking for a 45W photography bulb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and white after it warms up, February 21, 2011
The light is very natural and sufficiently (but not extremely) bright. I really like how it is silent. There is no hum or whine. I would definitely buy this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these!, February 4, 2012
I sell on EB, BZ and here and often need to take clear, accurate pictures. These were recommended to me to get better lighting and truer colors. I love these! Nice, bright pure lighting, clear, accurate colors, and low heat, too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Let there be light..., November 8, 2011
Bjudo "BB" (Pennsylvannia) - See all my reviews
A large bulb that screws directly into a standard socket or a light pole mount. The bulb is certainly bright and comes to full brightness within a few seconds. You could potentially match several of these bulbs inside an umbrella or softbox for even additional illuminiation. When screwing these bulbs in or out, it is best to use the base. The bulb itself can become quite warm and any twisting motion on the bulb itself is likely to cause the bulb to splinter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Useless!, March 3, 2013
I purchased this for product photography but it is just far too weak to be of much use and the color is a bit too blue, there no way this bulb is 5500k, it's much cooler, but that can be fixed with correct white balance or in post I only mention it for the sake of bringing all issues to the table. If you are trying to diffuse the light with an umbrella forget it, it has an effective range of about 12", just enough to provide some back light in a portrait with the umbrella just out of shot, if you need/want to take photos of inanimate objects on a flat surface either you have to have it so close it's in the way of the camera or so far it's not effective enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Lighting, January 6, 2012
My original bulb was dropped during a shoot break down. I could not find this bulb any where. When I found it on Amazon I ordered it right away. I received the bulb about a week later and started using it right away. It work better than the original bulb that came with my light kit. I will definitely be ordering more of them as needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great light source to start with:, November 25, 2011
James Enos (Pleasanton, CA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this ligth bulb recently to go with the Adorama AC Socket with Light Stand Adapter & Umbrella Holderand it works fine. The bulb is a bit large but I knew that going in. I already purchased a trigger/reciever system CowboyStudio NPT-04, 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver for an off camera flash but I wanted to also try a "constant light source" as an alternative and this bulb was the choice. With my umbrella, this light bulb has the necessary wattage to produce the light necessary for my needs without "over-producing" brightness. The AC light stand adaptor I purchased separately is actually of better quality than I originally thought. For the money, a great value for everything here. For those reviews who said these were of poor quality, I say, "Take care of your stuff!" I am perhaps overly careful with my camera and photo equipment, but that is how you should be! I highly recommend the bulb and the AC socket light stand adaptor to any photographer wishing to experiment wih portable lighting equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty inexpensive and works good, February 19, 2013
Let me start off my saying I am an amateur photographer with a basic home portrait studio. Before these bulbs, I had the square perfect $26 bulbs until they started dimming. Along with this, I bought the Cowboy studio version of this bulb. Needless to say, both, especially this one worked great. It worked just as well as my old $26 bulb when it was new, and even brighter than my cheaper cowboystudio bulb. The look and feel of it in your hands in itself feels high quality and I would recommend it to anyone trying to look for BOTH good quality and a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superior, July 12, 2014
For indoor work this will help you get superior photos or video. I use mine in a cheap clamp on fixture that was $6 at Target attached to a cheap boom microphone stand. This under $40 setup works quite well for many indoor situations.

I've had no problems and can recommend this product.