Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ePhoto Photography Video Studio Portrait SoftBox HoneyComb Grid Continuous Triple Lighting Kit 3pcs 6x9 ChromaKey Screen Black, White and Green Muslin Support Stand Kit HGD269BWG
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 8, 2013
Before deciding on this specific brand/model; I searched reviews and features for literally tens of different brands and models.
As we all know, those so called "brands" are nothing more than an American facade. Background is all OEM components manufactured by various Chinese suppliers. Not surprisingly, you'd find same components used in those several "brands" you see here. Still, Chinese manufacturing is a mystery for us outsiders. In that; a certain component looks visually exactly the same. But it could be coming from many different suppliers and/or plastic/metal material would have different quality (as requested by the purchaser). So it's not fair to bash Chinese quality off-the-bat. Because many time it's the purchaser dictates his demand for absolute lowest price. And there is always a supplier who would supply or manufacture according to such lowest price mandate.
So, if you search and buy the cheapest product then complain that it's not meeting highest industry standards; you need to take a look at yourself first. Because that's the starting link in that chain.

Back to this product: Honestly, I was ready for much worst quality (after reading all those terrible reviews for other "brands").
But I'm quite surprised with what I received (versus money I spent). To start with; nothing came broken. Zippered case is very decent quality. Everything was packed very nicely. Even the bulbs; all those 12 bulbs work and produce equally homogeneous good quality daylight. I bought a similarly rated bulb from my local hardware store and the light performance was much worse compared to what I received in this kit.
All the stands and softboxes fit together nicely. Nothing got broken in the process. Installation "manual" consists of a single page. But anyone who has basic DIY aptitude; will have no problem on putting together everything in very short time.
Note: you need to check tightness of screws on lamp sockets (before putting together your softboxes). Few of those were slightly loose.
Honeycomb grid is a nice touch that you don't find in other similarly priced brands.
The obvious truth is : this product is made for a home studio. If you need a set to be dismantled frequently; you are in totally wrong place. If you need industrial/professional performance; unfortunately you have to pay the price. No way around it.
Think about this; a 45W good quality daylight CFL bulb (Alzo or Eiko) costs minimum $11-13 each. So you'd pay about $150 only for 12 bulbs. Here you pay $180 for all this hardware together with the bulbs and guess what; it's honestly a very decent product.
No, I'm not an employee of this company. Just a fair consumer who prefers truth to be told as it is.
If you are looking for a decent lighting kit for an excellent value, look no further; you just found it.
on May 20, 2013
I was not confused about what I paid for this package. I knew I was not getting a $1000 lighting package. What I was hoping to get was a good package, ok quaility and at a good price. What I did get and the quaility of what I got suprise me!

The quaility of the lighting for my Canon 5D MIII is outstanding. For the price, quaility and customer service I proudly give this product a 5 star rating. I had a problem with the zipper on the carrying case. I called them, they answered and immediately sent out a replacement. Five star in my book and I will order other product from this seller.
on December 2, 2013
I've been a professional photographer for five years, book over 100 weddings a year, and have a 2000 square foot studio. I bought this kit for my son to experiment with so that I didn't have to worry about him breaking my 600 dollar softboxes.
Let me start by explaining the multiple negatives.
The stands are useless. They're less than an inch thick, and can't hold more than two pounds without bowing.
The boom is useless, as it can not be raised more than 36 inches from the floor without toppling over, even with weights.
The sand bag ripped as soon as I filled it, and poured sand all over my feet.
The softboxes are cheap and mass produced.
The sockets have holes for the softbox brackets to mount to, but are all cut to different lengths, and have broken the cheap plastic housing of the lamps.
The Muslims are the equivalent of 300 thread count bed sheets, and can be seen right through.
The bulbs are standard household cfl bulbs.
The plugs are stiff and rigid and have ZERO play.
The bag has broken zippers, and single stitched handles. They expect my son to be able to carry this without it breaking his feet when the stitches fail after three uses.
The good:
The backdrop support seems to be the only quality piece to this whole kit.
I'd advise to stay VERY far away from this kit. Spend the money and piece together a kit. Sadly, because of the torn sand bag, amazon has denied by return.
This kit would be suitably priced at 99.00 dollars. It simply is the ebay special in softbox lighting.
77 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2014
I purchased this light kit for lighting both product photography, and to light videos I record for a YouTube Channel on fountain pen reviews. The honeycomb grid is a really nice feature, although I rarely use it anymore. The aluminum stands are light, but feel relatively solid. All of my bulbs arrived intact.

I've been using these for six months now, and have only had a couple of minor little problems with them:

* I don't assemble and disassemble these lights regularly. I put them together once, and leave them assembled pretty much all the time. I'm not sure how much I'd trust them to be "portable." But they're pretty solid once they're assembled, and I move them around all the time for lighting different scenes.

* One of the switches on one of the lighting units stopped functioning. You would flip the switch and nothing would happen. Fortunately, it broke while the light was in the "on" position, so I was able to turn the light on and off simply by unplugging it. But, about three months later, it just started working again and has been working just fine ever since.

* I wish these were a bit brighter. When using them in a scene which is backlit by sunlight coming in a window, they can be easily overpowered. (I'm only using the accompanying bulbs...I've haven't swapped them out for brighter bulbs yet.) They work quite well in a dark room, but if you're trying to fill in a backlit scene, these may not do it for you.

* While I love that this kit came with a backdrop holder and three different backdrop cloths, the cloths aren't large enough to be useful for anything other than a medium closeup, with the subject a little too close to the cloth to be able to light it properly. If you shoot horizontal video (which I hope everyone does, since vertical video is evil), you can't even get a decent mid-shot without seeing the edge of the backdrop.

So, overall, these lights are a pretty good value for the price. A few more lumens and some slightly wider backdrops, and I probably would have given this a full five stars.
on June 28, 2015
This lighting set is great for a home studio. The backdrop is somewhat smaller than I would like (width wise) but I just turn it when even I need the extra length. I've used all three backdrops, greenscreened some cool backgrounds for web videos and done great photography work with all of them. The lights come neatly packaged and with a great bag to keep all of the parts neatly stored. I recommend buying sand bags separately so you don't have any problems in case of wind or just unfortunate mishaps.
on November 5, 2015
This is the best light kit possible for the price.

Pros - Mostly everything you will need: Stands, bulbs, sockets, muslin, a case. It's all there, it all works.

Cons - It is cheap garbage. Don't buy this kit expecting professional grade heavy-duty lighting. The case is a POS. It lasted me about 3 months before starting to fall apart, I've fixed it several times and it just finds a new spot to rip. The lighting is a little green. Not quite perfect daylight.

All over - GREAT kit to buy if you just want affrordable lighting to start with. I can't tell you how many things I've filmed an photographed using these lights. As long as you understand that this is not a $3500 lighting kit, you will love these lights.
on December 25, 2013
Fairly easy to setup once you do the first one (don't rely on the slim printed instructions). I would recommend watching one of the many assembly videos on youtube for this product or similar before starting. They have some good tips. The important part to remember is that the larger flap goes towards the bottom! :P

Great light, currently using only two of the three. Once our small home studio is complete we'll probably setup the third.

Highly recommend to those who are shooting still photos of items or doing small video production. However, I do NOT recommend these if you're mobile and want to travel. The stands probably will not stand up to any kind of road abuse. However, if you replace the stands with higher quality and don't take the light boxes apart you should have a good in town travel kit.
VINE VOICEon June 23, 2013
More than you might expect from a beginner kit.

I was impressed that this kit included 5 (!) full-size tripod stands, including two to hold the three-color-choice cloth backdrop, two to hold light stands, and one to hold a stand and boom arm that holds yet another light. The 3 lights included work well, as do the (cool-colored) compact fluorescent bulbs. The tripods are stable and the stands are tall.

The light boxes are tricky to assemble, and the instructions included are not nearly adequate. Took me a lot of guesswork!

I like that 3 different fabric fronts are included for each light: black grid, white translucent (note: reduces total output a bit) and open-sided center-white-translucent.

The carrying case is of poor quality and already damaged when it arrived, due to a mix of weak materials and a very thin shipping box.
on November 13, 2015
A very good deal for the money and I still use it to this day! Bought about 1.5 years ago it's still standing up to the test of time and have yet to need to buy additional bulbs. The only issue I've had so far is one of the diffusers started to come apart so I called in to ePhoto and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. Very nice company and nice products as long as you take care of them.
on April 9, 2015
After a single careful use with no directions I found a tutorial on Youtube on how to assemble so I didn't risk harming my equipment. One of the light switches broke immediately after one use of 25 minutes, it will no longer turn the left side off and is stuck on the "on" mode.
The fabric for the background have started having their threads being pulled after a single use and the softbox fabric that covers the softbox has almost completely pulled out its thread which holds the velcro on the material.

1/5