4.0 out of 5 stars works just fine for an amature
This lighting was not too hard to put together. Yes the instructions are alittle confusing but if you can basically figure out how it's supposed to look you can put it together with no problems.

Published on October 21, 2010 by M. Towne

3.0 out of 5 stars Lack of assembly instructions, hard to assemble
Published on September 29, 2010 by W. M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lack of assembly instructions, hard to assemble, September 29, 2010
W. M. (Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ePhoto Video Photography Studio light Lighting 2275 Watt Kit Digital Photography Studio Video Light Chromakey VL9026SB (Electronics)
Just received delivery. Opened cardboard package. A kinda nice carrying bag inside the cardboard delivery box. Everything is in the carrying bag, further wrapped in paper casing, foamy plastic, or small pouches. Once you take everything out, it will be difficult to put parts snugly back in the carrying case, unless you keep all the paper and foamy wraps and take notes on which piece goes to which wrap. And once you put the lights together, you probably won't want to take the lights apart and put back in the carrying case anyway, because you will have to spend much effort to assemble the lights again.

There is only one sheet of unclear instructions on how to assemble the two softboxes. By guessing at what the instructions mean and trial-and-error, I was able to assemble one softbox, with much difficulty. Had to stretch the soft box cover really hard to fit in the four metal poles, to form the softbox shape.

It took me some time to figure out how to assemble the hair light boom, and once put together, it becomes clear that the power cord for the hair light is too short, compared to the fully extended height and range of the light. You need a light-weight extension cord to go with the hair light.

The stands and boom feel unsturdy and in stress under the weight of the softboxes, mostly due to the plastic extension connectors.

Overall, the kit is right at its price, not a bargain. The light appears bright. The stands should be handled with care, and should not be taken apart and put together a few times. The nice carrying bag is probably a waste, but you may use it for other purposes.

4.0 out of 5 stars works just fine for an amature, October 21, 2010
M. Towne (Clearwater, MN) - See all my reviews

I have already taken pictures of a friends kiddos with the lighting and it all worked perfectly. Perfect light all around the kiddos and no shadows and no harsh bright spots.

All in all this is a PERFECT set for someone who does in home sessions and doesn't want to pay the for the professional ligthing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Set up is a HUGE pain, but other than that it's nice, June 2, 2011
My kit came with no instructions. I'm pretty good at putting things together, so I didn't have too much of a problem with this.

If you had planned on setting this up and taking it down from time to time, FORGET IT!! Don't bother. My advice, once it's set up, leave it that way.

Setting up the softboxes is a MAJOR pain in the you know what! You have to bend 4 wires into each corner of the softbox and into the light head. Not an easy task. You'll be cursing the design for sure. My one softbox is not even. It's not exactly in a rectangular shape like it should be. But I got so fed up with trying to get it right that I just gave up and left it crooked.

Here is a link to 2 pictures so you can see what I mean...
[...]
[...]

Getting all of the bulbs out is a bit tricky to IF you plan on keeping the box and styrofoam they come in. If not, then no big deal, just rip the boxes open.

Putting the light heads onto the stand I found to be a bit tricky as well. The top of the stand has a rubber bumper on it. I found the heads sit nicer if you unscrew that rubber piece and take it off. But something tells me they are supposed to be on there.

I had a lot of problems setting up the boom light. Again, the rubber bumper didn't allow me to get the lighting head in the right spot to tighten it down securely. And then the screw that tightens down to the hold the head on the stand, it popped out of head unit. I got tired of trying to fix it and just gave up for the time being.

Also, one of the switches on the light head was busted on mine. I just emailed ephoto about this. So I'll update this review later after they've had time to fix the issue.

Now, on to the good things...

If you plan to set this kit up once and leave it set up, then this is a great kit for you! To get professional softboxes, you are looking at spending a few grand. I would hope the pro versions are easier to set up, but if you are on a budget, spending a few grand for them is out of the question.

Although a huge pain to set up, for the savings over a professional unit, I'm willing to deal with it for now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Studio Light Soft Box Package, October 29, 2010
The package arrived very quickly with all the parts and lights intact.Assembly was a very frustrating experience because no instructions are included.One is tempted to give up or return the product. Persistence paid off and finally was able to assemble the soft boxes with out breaking any parts.The final result was acceptable.The lights and the soft-box's are a real good value for money.The construction of the stands is not very sturdy, although they are fine for studio use I would advise against using them outside. If used carefully the whole set can last for a while.The hair light boom stand kit does not balance well, cant be used at full extension safely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, Inexpensive, Worth the money, May 9, 2011
The package got here faster than i expected. I opened it and there was no assembly instruction, but if you watch the tutorial on the Ephoto Website your fine. The Assembly was a breeze im not sure what the others were saying about it being hard to put it together. After turning it on and seeing how bright the kit was I thought this was to good to be true and started looking for imperfections. The larger ligt fixture is made by Tri-Color(that fixture is also used on cowboy studio equipment), but the switches to turn the lights on and off one by, the placstic housing around it started to crack and now they are falling off. and i only had it for one week. It could be because i switch them on and off a lot and it started to crack. I' pretty sure cowboy studio would have done the same thing cause its the same product just a different brand. The next thing is that the power cords on the larger unit is detachable and when you plug it in and out you could pull out the actual socket in the light fixture, i think the glue is weak or its just plastic not metal. The last thing i saw that was wrong was that boom kit its arm does not sit firm on the standpole as elbow. (does not come with a brance for the sandbags, you have to by your own) You stick the elbow down on the stand legs but it doesnt go down all the way and when you tighten it down and bends. If i do it to hard it looks like im gonna break it. I might build something that holds it down strong to fi the problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT for traveling, September 4, 2012
Strange Productions LLC (WILTON MANORS, FLORIDA, US) - See all my reviews
I bought this set up when I first started out as it seemed to be a good cheap deal.

The soft boxes are held in place by individual thin metal rods. If you are going to travel 1x and can deal with the pain of having to line them up or never travel then the lights are an OK deal.

I dread having to travel with this setup and I am now at a point where I need to travel so I am on here looking for a new setup and noticed these and decided to write a review.

I never used the overhead light as it always seemed to want to tip, but I do use the two box sets. They weight seems to continually weight them down after first moving them and you have to adjust them a few times for them to stay in place after adjusting the height.

They served me well in the beginning but not really for what I needed. I bought this because it came with the travel bag so I was expecting to be able to travel.

If you are just starting out and can NOT afford a better set then get them, the electrical part has stood since June 6 2011 as well as the bulbs. My only issues are the the supports, the over head, and the lack of breaking down easily.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, bad customer service, not a very good product, April 14, 2014
I tried 2 different sets to make sure I didn't get a lemon. The first set multiple bulbs were broken upon arriving, the lightbox was ripped open, and all the bolts on the stand were off and sitting in the package. I tried contacting the seller via their website and they told me it was Amazon who fulfilled it so they wouldn't stand behind their product.... OK, so if your retail partner doesn't honor your product I'm SOL? I returned it and being optimistic I decided to try a replacement instead of a refund, well I got that and set it all up. In the second set the joints were broken, lightbulbs busted, and light boxes were ripped AGAIN! I returned to Amazon and I went to a hardware store and built my own for less money. I got better bulbs, stronger stands, and I built 3 light sets similar to this one for less than what I payed for this. No brainer, don't buy this product unless you want poor quality, bad customer service on the seller's side, and a headache getting everything refunded. P.S. Amazon was great and understanding through the whole thing, glad they were on my side.

4.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this kit only for studios or places where you'll ..., August 20, 2014
I use this setup for shooting video. I wanted the three light combination, but quickly found that it is primarily for use in a studio setting. Most of my shooting is on location. Two of the lights require screwing in 5 light bulbs and carefully transporting all the bulbs, requiring a lot of setup and strike time for location shooting. I recommend this kit only for studios or places where you'll be set up for a while. That said, I do like the kit. It offers a lot of flexibility in that in each of the "front" lights you can fire all 5 bulbs or just 1, 2, 3, or four. each bulb has it's own on/off switch so you can adjust the lights easily -- as opposed to moving lights in and out to get the effect you want.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flourescent lighting continuous Kit, October 10, 2010
Does the job and the products look professional. I will need to get real lights rather than flourescent in the future. Time being these work fine but the build quality is sort of cheap and hard to put together at first. If you don't screw the bulbs in all the way they tend to flicker. These flourescent lights turn your photos on the yellow side. I've tried color balancing but it will always be yellowish. You will need to correct in Photoshop. Customer service seems to be very helpful to problem solve issues and you get these in a nice package right away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable and durable, March 11, 2012
I purchased these lights a few months ago and I am over all very happy with my purchase. I have beaten these lights around but they have taken the beating well. I love the control I have over the light as well as the easy put together of the stands. It was however super hard when I first got them putting them together as they do not come with instructions. But once I got the soft boxes together it all became a breeze. There are two light filters on each soft box which gives an even greater control if the light. For an affordable set of soft boxes, I think this rPhoto set gets the job done, and fairly good to.