Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 73 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:38:22 AM PST
Jmacq says:
Well guess I have more time to finish my re-reading of the series than I thought I did. Will consider the hardback, but it's just so freaking convenient having them all on my Kindle Fire as opposed to taking up shelf space.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 1:33:05 PM PST
S. Breen says:
The only e-books that I have on my kindle that I didn't get via the free section or other free ebook sites are the WoT books. I bought all of the original releases of the WoT books in hard cover (or soft, the first 3), but having them also on my Kindle is convenient. I don't have to lug hard cover books to doctor appointments and more. I feel that this series is well worth spending my hard earned money to purchase. Otherwise, if I can't get the book free it comes from yard sales, second hand stores, and libraries. I've worn out at least 2 copies of each of the WoT books, so the e-books are saving me money in the long run.

Is the cost "too high"? For me, no. It's a choice to purchase a book or not (except if needed for school or job) and as such is a luxury. It's a choice whether you purchase it at the price offered or not. If you don't like the cost, don't purchase it. If enough people don't, then demand goes down, and the price does as well. It's the nature of capitalism. Supply and demand.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:40:26 PM PST
B. Kamath says:
You are confused.

What he is saying is that if it ISN'T AVAILABLE to buy, people literally can not pay for it.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 8:51:19 PM PST
B. Kamath says:
Here is a summary version of why I (and many others) think it is a financial mistake to have a 3 month window between physical and e-books.

Many of the biggest fans (myself included) are pre-ordering the hardcopy of this book on release day. Out of those that are pre-ordering the book, a large number would have also bought the ebook version at the same time for all their e-readers. The thing is, by the time the ebook comes out for sale, there will be an easily obtainable ebook format of the book floating around MIRC or torrents.

Now, having already paid for the authors work and realizing that there is practically no marginal cost for them to produce an ebook version for me, AND the fact that the version I download will be completely DRM free / easily viewable on any of my devices, I will probably end up downloading the book before April and Brandon/Harriet/tor will receive no more of my money for this product.

There have been more studies done on this with the movie industry that seem to show that windowing, if anything, loses money for content creators.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 8:37:51 AM PST
Anastasia says:
B.Kamath: 100% agreed. I would buy the ebook on the release date, even if it cost $20, but not the hardcover, but several months later, I could get the pirated version anyway.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 10:54:41 AM PST
Masha says:
Any delay in ebook release is 100% due to insistance of Harriet McDougal (RJ's widow and heir). I remember Brandon saying that he loves ebooks and is convinced its the future but Harriet never trusted digital format and originally just wanted Hardcopy then he (and Tor publishers) convinced her and for Towers of Midnight ebook was released "just" 12mths after hardcopy (which Brandon said was major concession from her). Now her explains her reasoning is that bestseller lists at NYTimes which apparently count only hardcopies not digital sales in rating bestseller lists sales. (at least they so around the Towers of Midnight release). I was actually pleasantly surprised with only 4 months delay in ebook release, it probably taken a lot from Brandon and Tor publishers to get her to agree to that!

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 5:38:35 AM PST
It is a shame to see costumers being treated this way.

I don't live in the U.S. and so, in order to be able to read this book, I would have to order the physical copy with a much higher cost, and wait weeks to receive it, all because of the greed of Tor publishing, a company that for the longest time waved an hypocritical banner against DRMs and amazon itself. Now we see their true intent in wanting "independence". They just wanted the right to treat their customers as they see fit, showing no respect for us.

And it saddens me to see people just writing "doesn't matter to me, I'll just buy the hardcover".

People not only don't care about the abuses of the publishers, but also tend to call "entitled" ( a word that has recently became a curse world in the U.S.) consumers that want to legally purchase their books.

Sanderson is a great guy, whom I had a chance to meet very quickly, and a great writer, but I'm forced to say I won't be buying any of his books anymore, as long as they come from Tor.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 7:53:09 AM PST
adrianne says:
"ebooks would naturally be less expensive, no paper, ink, warehousing, shipping costs, etc involved."

Tor still has to pay the following costs: author royalties, salaries of Tor staff members who are involved in moving AMoL through the production process, vendor costs (typesetting/revises to the manuscript files, & conversion of files into elec/online formats).

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 3:24:11 PM PST
"lacybb" says:
They are losing the sale of the ebook in my case. I will buy the hardback anyway because I want to complete my set. I would normally also buy the ebook to actually read. So much more convenient than lugging that huge book around. But you can BET that when the hardback arrives I will read it right away and then will have no need for the ebook. I know I am not the only person that does this.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 3:43:38 AM PST
I would normally just buy the e-book, and am generally willing to pay the same price as whatever edition that's out. I'll now be waiting ~ a week and buying someone else's used copy of the hardback just to spite them. Good job publisher!

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 8:42:27 AM PST
Terrible business decision. If they won't sell me an ebook I will just wait a week and "find" an ebook of it. Now, I love both the late Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson so I will buy the ebook once it comes out, but I have zero interest in lugging hard cover books when I have a kindle.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:06:07 AM PST
Jason Krohn says:
I'll be waiting on the Kindle version of this one. I've waited this long to finish the story, I can wait another three months to read it in my preferred format.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 2:18:46 PM PST
I have purchased and had signed, original 1st editions of each book up until Jordan passed. Now that I am older, I have moved to electronic formats for convenience. From Day 1, I have set a limit of $15 for any ebook I purchase. That is not changing, no matter how much I love the series.
This is a choice, and if more people made the choice to budget regardless of desire, perhaps publishers would finally price ebooks accordingly.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:13:25 PM PST
A. Loerch says:
I actually have a totally different reason for wanting the e-book. For me, it's all about the fact that I'm legally blind. I cannot read books with normal sized print, but with the advent of the ipad and other e-readers, I can essentially make a books text as large as I need it to be.

So why, you might wonder, is the audiobook not good enough for me? Well, besides that it's not the same to listen as it is to read... I bought the audiobook of the prologue and the 2 people narrating the book are HORRIBLE. They sound like they should be reading 50 shades of grey, not a fantasy novel. I have a feeling that the audiobook will seriously ruin my enjoyment of the ending of this wonderful series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 1:19:20 PM PST
Wow.
I must admit I never thought about that.
You should post this online on Tor's webpage, this is a GREAT comment on the wrongness of what they are doing!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 3:04:02 PM PST
I don't own an Kindle or any such device. I am a hardcover only reader. Having said that I think that delaying it that long for those who want it is stupid. Catch up to the times TOR.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:32:14 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 7, 2013 6:43:01 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 1:15:16 AM PST
Andre says:
So, finally the end of the series, So long and eagerly awaited is being soured just a little bit for me. I have no choice than to wait for the ebook. I do not live in the US and the HC is not available locally. So shipping costs make the book way to expensive.
The ebook (Kindle) has revolutionised my reading habits. Publishers need to wake up, there is a huge untapped market for ebooks. I have thousands of books now. I would need a extra room in the house to physically keep them all! but in kindle format it works. As to pirating it, everybody needs to make their own decision on this but I feel if someone writes a book I enjoy reading he deserves to get paid for it. If we all pirate the stuff there will one day be nobody left to write it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:36:27 AM PST
Slim Jensin says:
I think you have summed it up very nicely.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:44:01 AM PST
Slim Jensin says:
True, however when they lose the lawsuit, and I'm pretty sure they will as several of the company's named in the lawsuit have already given up(at least that's what I was told),those overcharges will be paid back. Now that was told to me by a lawyer friend.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:19:31 AM PST
sunswod says:
ever try getting new releases at the library, scooter?

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 7:30:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 7:31:30 AM PST
O. Schmidt says:
While I think the e-books are a bit overpriced when compared to the physical copies, I am more than happy to contribute $8-10 for the hours of reading pleasure that these books provide. And the convenience of having the entire series -- much less an entire library -- on a device much smaller than even one of the books is surely worth the extra dollar or two per book.

I am rather upset about the delayed e-book release, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:31:46 PM PST
KatJD says:
You've got that right!

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 5:50:17 AM PST
J. Ungerer says:
Yeah, I've been looking forward to January for so long and didn't realize until yesterday that the e-book has a different release date. I would have gladly purchased the ebook. In fact I almost stayed up until midnight on Monday to see if I could purchase it as soon as it became Tuesday. I'm spoiled by ebooks now and really haven't read a paper copy in a while BUT I am not waiting 4 months to read this book! I requested a copy from my local library. I'm 88th on the waiting list but the local library system has 50 copies floating around in circulation. I'll have to wait a few weeks to read it but my turn will come fast. Years down the road when I want to read the series again I'll buy the last book on my kindle then. It'll be my last book I need to buy to have them all electronically. I wonder how many others would have bought the book but will now just read it for free from the library? I wouldn't think this is a wise financial decision.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 9:00:06 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 9, 2013 9:15:33 AM PST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  59
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Apr 2, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Memory of Light  (Wheel of Time, Book 14)
A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, Book 14) by Robert Jordan (Hardcover - January 8, 2013)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (3,609)