Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: eeBoo Fairy Tale Spinner Game
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 16, 2011
I bought this game for my daughter's 5th bday because she's been on a Red Riding Hood kick. My daughters (5 & 6) own a couple of these Eeboo spinner games. They're excellent quality for the money and they encourage imagination. However, I must say we've changed the rules.

Eeboo rules are standard: Spin the spinner, then pick an item from the category you land on. If you already have one of that item, you lose a turn. If you land on "lose a turn", you lose a turn. Then, it's the next player's turn to try to land on an item. When we play by the Eeboo rules, these spinner games are TORTUROUS. Inevitably, we'd sit around for 20 minutes frustrated while someone tried to land on some needed category.

Here's our "House Rules" and we play these games several times a week.

1. Youngest goes first.
2. Youngest spins and lands on a category, such as "Hero." Youngest picks "Hero" FIRST, then player to left picks a "Hero" around the circle until EVERYONE has a Hero.
3. Next player spins and lands on a category, such as "Magical Object." Now, THAT player gets to pick FIRST, then around in the circle until every player has a "Magical Object."
4. IGNORE "Lose a Turn." Just spin again.
5. If you land on a category that's already been chosen, just spin again.
6. When you're down to the very last category (ie everything except "Treasure" has been picked) that player simply picks their "Treasure" first, then everyone else picks a "Treasure." We don't sit around spinning for hours until the person actually lands on "Treasure."
7. Now for what makes this game a hit--you use your pieces to make up a story. According to Eeboo, only the "winner" gets to make up a story about their pieces. Our House Rules say EVERYONE takes a turn making up a story about their pieces. This is the best part of the game, it's fun to hear what my girls come up with.

We use this same version of rules for the Eeboo Dress Up game. Some people might not be into "changing rules", but for use it's made the games a lot more "kid friendly" and fun.
44 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2010
I bought this game sight unseen with great confidence that it would be a winner based on the glowing reviews here and the fact that it had a sticker on it claiming it had won an award for Best Toy. That was a mistake.

SUMMARY:
As a TOY - it's a cute concept and it does have some interesting possible applications for storytelling, but as a GAME? Arrrrgh. No. It is just insanely aggravating. If you play it as it is designed to be played it's possibly the most tedious "GAME" ever made.

PROS:
1. Cute looking pieces that will stimulate kids to come up with some entertaining and inventive stories. I would not say that they are HIGH quality as others have suggested, but rather a medium-quality cardboard. They are not as good a quality as you'll find in say a Ravensburger, Rio Grande, or one of those Reiner Knizia games, but they are miles better than the flimsy cardstock stuff you'll find in most kids games.

CONS:
1. Poorly constructed, useless spinner. The arrow part is made of a transparent flimsy plastic, and straight out of the box, ours was warped downwards and simply did not SPIN, it drags across the cardboard backing and barely moves -- you have to just nudge it around with your finger, you can't spin it at all -- very frustrating for kindergarten aged kids to try to manipulate. Also, since the arrow is made of clear plastic, it's also hard to see at a glance where it points.

2. TRULY TEDIOUS AWFUL GAMEPLAY. There is no actual game here at all. NONE. You spin endlessly until you get the parts you need, and you can't even begin collecting the parts until you have a "place" piece, so it's insanely frustrating for kids in its target age (5 years and up) to actually play.

GAMEPLAY :
The youngest player spins and play proceeds clockwise.

You must spin a "place" piece first before you can begin to collect the other components of a story. If you get anything other than a "place" piece you cannot keep it and must just pass your turn to the next player.

Once you have a "place" piece, you take turns spinning trying to collect the remaining 6 story elements, Hero, Rival, Transportation, Treasure, Magical Helper and Magical Object.

If you land on "Lose a Turn" you lose a turn. If you spin a duplicate piece, you pass your turn to the next player.

The first player to get all 7 story elements wins and gets to tell the story.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH IT:
Our maiden voyage with this "game" we spent eight minutes (fourteen rounds) just passing the spinner around and around taking turns, with everyone getting progressively crabbier and no one getting a "place" piece, before I made an executive decision to ignore that rule and decided that EVERYONE would just pick a "place"piece starting with the youngest player, so we could get things started.

Why did that happen? Well it's poorly designed.

There are 8 possible outcomes on the spinner, so the odds of spinning a "place" piece are only 1 in 8. However until you have a place piece, 7 out of 8 spins will result in you ending your turn with nothing. So before you get a "place" piece the spinner is essentially comprised of 7 lose a turn spots and one "place" piece spot.

As such, it is highly likely that you will spend a good period of time just passing the spinner around and around and around endlessly until someone finally gets a "Place" and the game begins.

ALSO - This means that it's entirely possible for at least one player to NOT get a "Place" piece at all before the game ends.

Wow.

Does that seem fun? Would that be fun for your 5 and up kids? I think not. It's an awful design.

So once we gave up on that rule and each chose our "place" pieces, we then spent another fifteen minutes spinning around and around to try to collect all the parts. NOT FUN IN ANY WAY. It was the most tedious thing we've EVER played. Worse than Cootie.

Finally to salvage the evening and end the game, I just said "Okay who has the most pieces?" And we had the person with the most pieces (5) tell us a story. Then we let everyone else tell a story with the pieces they had accumulated.

SUGGESTIONS:
So, if you, like me, bought this thing based on those glowing reviews and find yourself saddled with this sucker in your game collection, what can you do with it?

My recommendation is to just use it as a straight storytelling tool with your kid -- it's cute for that. You could do the same thing with pictures you drew with your child together though and save your money, but like I said, the pieces are cute.

So how we "play" this now is this...We just ignore the rules and the spinner. We have kids pick a "Place", then a hero or rival, then a second hero or rival, and then one each of the remaining elements. We have made up some supplemental elements too and pasted them onto cardboard to add to the "storytelling". Then we each take turns telling our stories. That's a heckuva a lot of fun, and really it's just great for that.

In fact Eeboo, we'd actually buy expansion packs of cardboard punch out story elements to use with these if you sold them just to add new levels to this...I would strongly suggest that you redesign this to be used as a straight storytellers tool and scrap the rules you designed, because they clearly weren't playtested.

No one should bother to play it as a game the way Eeboo has designed it. It's not a game -- it's an exercise in maddening, wearisome monotony. But it does work as a storytelling tool, and that's the only reason this thing is getting two stars from me. We do have fun playing with the pieces separate from the game.

As a toy/educational tool? 4 stars.
As a game? 0 stars.
Thus 2 stars.

It's great if you pull the elements out of it and just ignore their rules.
66 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2010
So many GREAT things about this game.. First- As soon as a child can talk they can play this game. Second- As a parent, you are NOT bored to tears when you play. All ages can play and you aren't simply going around and around a board. Third- the artwork is nice and the pieces are durable. Fourth- (the most important to me) my youngest is in speech therapy and shies away from speaking. In this game if you WIN you "get to" tell a story. So it is REALLY encouraging her to speak instead of being afraid to talk.
I LOVE THIS GAME!!! It was the best present we got this Christmas.
on August 21, 2010
First, seeing kids toys that help promote a sustainable future (you know, for your kids!) is very welcome. On top of that, it is a great game that is simple enough for toddlers but allows kids of any age to play since almost everyone enjoys using their imagination. Listening to the stories your kids come up with is priceless, so the game is quite a bargain at that. Eco-friendly, highly entertaining, and less expensive than so much of the junk out there - who could ask for more?
on December 14, 2009
My 5 year old daughter received this game as a gift and it's been one of the best toys this holiday season. It's simple, goes quickly, and the thick cardboard punch-outs are high-quality. Spin the spinner to find out what character or item you will select for your storyboard. The first one to collect one of each item (Hero, Rival, Treasure, Transportation, etc) wins the game and tells a story based on their board. We love this game!
on January 7, 2014
This game is fantastic! My 5 year old begs to play it multiple times everyday. The 2 1/2 year old loves it as well. The only change we make to the game is dropping the requirement to get a place first. We spin until there is a winner with all the pieces. Then we spin a few more times until everyone else has thier pieces. If the game goes on to long we just pick the rest of the pieces with the youngest picking first. Then everyone has to tell a story. That is the favorite part of the game. My 5 year old is getting pretty good at making up more detailed stories. And even the 2 1/2 year old tells her own stories. They are hysterical! If you have little ones who needs to exercise thier imagination, this is a must have. The pieces seem pretty sturdy and it is very easy to play.
on March 18, 2016
I just LOVE this game. I use these with my speech therapy students and my five year old daughter loves it as well. It's a great game that can be used in ways beyond the intended purpose. In speech therapy, we sometimes skip the game aspect and line up the scenes to make a sequential story, work on concepts such as "before" and "after," using conjunctions, pronouns, etc. The materials are great quality and the characters and props are so engaging for children of various ages (so far I've used with ages 4-7). Highly recommend!
on April 25, 2014
Our five year old daughter loves this game, whether playing w/ the family, or alone as doll pieces. I love that it's open ended, and creates no frustration - change the rules! - it's all good. The playing pieces are made of sturdy, durable cardboard, that wipe clean, and are so adorable & appealing. It may be a little girly, but there are some "boy" elements such as the "king", "Jack" and the "ogre". Environmentally, excellent, just wish it had not come wrapped in plastic. I would reccommend it to friends, and I plan to buy a couple extras to give as gifts.
VINE VOICEon August 6, 2012
I purchased this game as a gift for my five year old cousin. I played it with her several times, and I loved how it allowed her to use her imagination. Again, another game where there is not a "winner" per se, but it still enjoyable to play. I improvised a bit by having us make up elaborate stories once we assembled all of the elements. The game itself is made of cardboard, and I fear that after a number of uses, it might not hold up so well. Like many others, I will complain that the spinner is awful. It doesn't work very well, and as a game devise, it isn't great because it can take tons of spins to land on the element that you need to complete your story.
on June 23, 2012
I had looked at this game a couple of times and hesitated because I thought my girls wouldn't enjoy it. Boy was I wrong. They love this game. You have to spin and collect the picture boards, and once you have completed your collection for the story you may tell your story. It is a game that allows children to use their imagination and also helps them in speech and language arts.
I altered the rules a bit and when we play we all have to tell a story and that way there is no competition in who collects the boards first. The cards are made of carton, and even though the carton is strong, you have to be careful that it doesnt break or get wet. Would definitely recommend !!!