Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ekobrew Refillable K-cup for Keurig Brewers, 1-Count
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 25, 2012
I've used Keurigs for about 7 years (before home models were being made) and reusable filter for 2 years). Here's what you need to know:

USE REUSABLES
These are better than disposables for a few reasons:
1. can get the coffee and/or blend of your choice - not limited to what comes in k-cups
2. costs much less per cup
3. less waste created / environmentally friendly
4. downside is inconvenience, but see HOW TO USE below for lessons learned from a veteran

WHICH ONE TO GET
Ekobrew is the best design. I've used solofill, Keurig's my k-cup, and ekobrew. All work ok but:

1. My Kcup has more parts to clean, leaked more grinds into the coffee too.

2. Solofill is good but not quite as good as ekobrew. Side walls and water distributor on ekobrew is better. And with the flat bottom, the ekobrew is easier to clean. Coffee grinds get annoyingly stuck in the bottom of the solofill, whereas the Ekobrew can be rinsed out in one shot. Solofill is probably fine if you make one cup a day and put it in the dishwasher. But I make a bunch and the inconvenience of the solofill cleaning was enough to make me prefer the disposables over it.

3. Ekobrew got the whole thing right. Side walls allow you to fill 2/3 with coffee and make an ideal brew - water has room to mix with the coffee. The water distributes very well through the perforated funnel on top. And cleaning is easy (see how to clean #5).

HOW TO USE - FOR CONVENIENCE AND GOOD COFFEE
This is actually really important. Until I got it down to a system by trial and error to have it (1) not take much extra time compared to a disposable and (2) tasting good (not weak), I kept going back and forth on using these vs. disposables for the convenience factor. But with these steps I am fully converted to using the reusables.

1. Put your ground coffee in a Tupperware container. I like something that will hold about a bag of coffee and is relatively deep (not wide and short) so it's easy to scoop out of it. This make it very convenient to scoop 2/3 of a container full of coffee, shake the extra back into the container. Keep it air tight in the cabinet with your mugs (or in the refrigerator). Much more convenient than trying to scoop from a bag or than using a spoon to scoop into the cup.

2. Blend your coffee if you like. If you're like me and drink lots of cups a day, using the tupperware method (1 above) allows very easy mixing. I pour half a bag of decaf and caffeinated each into the container and shake well. Use a somewhat stronger blend than you might otherwise get since Keurig brews fast I do find the final flavor is less strong than if you got the same at Starbucks for instance.

3. Scoop 2/3 of the ekobrew with coffee. You want the coffee just above the bottom of the sidewall so water won't seep out without going through the coffee, but not too high that there's no room for the coffee to push thru (it will leak out and around the sides then). Make sure your ekobrew is completely dry, and then you can scoop with it directly and not try to spoon it in). Wipe off the sides back into the tupperware and close.

4. Brew like a normal k-cup.

5. Cleaning. This is really important to keep it from being inconvenient and took a while to work out.
a. Do this right after brewing - do not let the grinds sit in the ekobrew or they will harden and be more difficult to clean out
b. Pick the ekobrew up by the top sides (not hot there) and you can walk it over to the sink over your brewed coffee so it doesn't drip on the counter / floor
c. Open the top and hold it upside down directly over the drain and low (so the grinds don't spread all over the place)
d. Rinse through the bottom with cold water, with the cup upside down. All the grinds should come out in one quick shot and go right down the drain
e. Shake and set to dry.

6. Have more than one of these if you like several cups a day. You have to wait until they are completely dry to reuse or else the scooping method (#3) won't work.

Using these steps above, I've completely replaced the disposables without it being materially less convenient. I get the coffee of my choice and its much less expensive, and there's no waste.

Enjoy!
33 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2011
Seriously, I love my Keurig. I love the convenience and the coffees. But what I don't love is buying $50 dollars worth of coffee every month. I tried the filter that Keurig gave me with my Platinum B70 model and it made my awesome Guatemalan Coffee I used to brew the "old fashion way" into a watered down mess no matter how fine I ground the bean or how much I reduced the cup size.

I was skeptical about buying another kcup filter when I saw this offered on Amazon, but the video add on the ekobrew website had me sold. I bought the ekobrew Cup before it was available for sale with high hopes, and it has totally lived up to my expectations! My freshly ground coffee tastes better than any Kcup I have ever had! I forgot how good some of the beans I bought were. No Joke. If you are like me and have a few roasts of beans you just love and don't feel like breaking the bank trying every kcup under the sun to find blends that please you then get it. You won't be sorry.

The only negative part is you have to rinse it out but that is no big deal. Just pop the top and tap it on the sink and the grinds come out then rinse. No scrubbing or anything. I may buy another to have one handy to fill while the other is brewing since I make about 3 Kcups worth of coffee in the morning to fill for two travel mugs for the wife and I. THANK YOU ekobrew!
1616 comments| 971 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2011
At first, we did not get along. It spit and spewed in our B60 and made me mad that I had paid full price for two of these new K-cup replacements. Good coarse grind, check. No grounds around lid before closing, check. Not too full, check. Seated properly in Keurig, check.
My best guess was that the lid was not sealing properly because there was a little wiggle room when closed, so I contacted the company by email and asked if a replacement seal would help. I was delighted when they offered to send replacement Ekobrews. The next morning, we tried something different. We removed, cleaned and replaced the rubber piece that surrounds the needle that inserts into K-cups in the top of the machine. That helped, a lot. The next cup we decided to try turning the Ekobrew around so that the hinge was at the front of the machine. Perfection! I cannot explain why, but it worked. I did let them know right away that replacements were not necessary, but they were already in the mail!
We now have an alternative to K-cups that makes a great tasting cup of coffee, can handle enough to brew a nice strong travel mug full and is easy to fill and clean. We will continue buy K-cups when the price is right, but when it isn't we can still have great, single cup coffee without breaking the bank.
Just as a note, we tried the Solofill, which is a good product, but it just did not hold quite enough coffee for a happy mug.
11 comment| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2011
Having owned a Keurig B145 for less than a week, I was immediately excited at the prospect of getting refillable cups to put my own coffee in. Not to knock the Keurig coffees, but I'm partial to the Mill Mountain coffee available here in Virginia. I received my ekobrew cups today and have made two cups of coffee with them. I probably don't have the classiest tastes in coffee but here are some notes:

- the first cup I made I filled to the "fill line" imprinted on the inside of the cup. Doing this made a rich cup of coffee but a smaller serving than the 8 ounces it was set to. Some leakage had occurred after I opened the clamshell. It also seemed like the pump ran longer, however it didn't seem to be "struggling" like other reviewer have said, just longer running.

- the lid on the ekobrew cup seems flimsy and bowed which I suspect is partially to blame for some of the slight leakage I'm noticing. The leaks are not a big deal as it doesn't come out of the unit, but it certainly isn't as clean as the K Cups when you go to remove.

- the second cup I made using one heaping teaspoon of coffee. This filled the cup slightly over halfway. Of course this lead to a weaker cup of coffee than the first, but the Keurig seems to operate more like I'm used to AND I get more of an accurate serving size. The coffee from this run wasn't watery, just not as rich as the first.

- Many people complain of residue at the bottom of the cup which I've noticed as well. This is a non-issue in my opinion as every cup of coffee I've ever purchased from a shop has had large grounds at the bottom. The residue this leaves is much finer- like microscopic particles.

- Cleanup is obviously more than the K Cup "pull-and-pitch", but it isn't as bad as other reviewers seem to describe it. When you pull the ekobrew out of your Keurig, hold a dishrag underneath and walk it to the trashcan. Knock the grind against the inside of the can, then rinse under the faucet. It takes me about 5 seconds of rinsing to remove all the grinds. Voila, you're done.. certainly not the onerous task described by others.

Overall this is a fine product which will give you the flexibility you want with your Keurig machine. It may be messier than a standard K Cup, but IMPO that's the trade-off for saving money and having your own coffee in your mug. Enjoy!
review image review image review image
66 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2011
Just received a couple of eKobrew cups today. Since it is already late afternoon, I elected to make a cup of decaf. I'm not a fan of decaf, of any brand or grind, but I have to say that for the first time since I've owned a Keurig B70 (Costco)...I actually enjoyed my entire cup.

No doubt about it, being able to increase the measure of coffee...and the better distribution of the water, made all the difference. Though I've enjoyed the Solofill experience for the most part, there was just no way I could get around it's physical limitations. I worked very hard to perfect a process that ran good beans, a good grind, and filtered water through the Solofill. However, the generally so-so to good cups of coffee never rose to greatness. Now, with the eKobrew, I think I have finally found an ideal Keurig K-Cup alternative.
on August 9, 2011
Just got the Ekobrew today and tried it out. I have been a Solofill fan since they came out but the Ekobrew design seems to beat the Solofill. First off, the flat bottom makes it easy to fill. I usually run two cycles for a larger cup of coffee. With the Ekobrew the lid stays shut and doesn't leak water at the top. I was surprised how easily the grounds came out and just a quick rinse and it was ready to go again. Seems to be the best choice around for avoiding the high cost of K cups.
0Comment| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2011
WOW - we got our keurig as a gift and with the gift was a big box of the k-cups with all the eh, average tasting coffees...but once those ran out we would never be the people to spend that much money on coffee every month. so we have been using the solofil for about 8 months. we hated it and because of it, hated the keurig. the coffee we buy (the strongest roast from starbucks) was always watery and the solofil would leak all the time and it was such a pain to clean. but we put up with it. ENTER the ekobrew! omg this thing is amazing. i don't know what makes it so much different and i don't care -i just care that we get an amazing cup of coffee from our machine now! SUCH a difference. we used to use the solofil twice for one cup of coffee - we would make two of the smallest cups to make it as strong as possible. not anymore!! highly recommend! buying 2 more!
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2011
This one is well thought out - perfect in every way! I threw my old "My K-cup" out in the trash. Did you know that some of the new Keurig brewers, such as the B-40, were redesigned a little? Yes, and the new brewers don't allow the My K-Cups from Keurig to fit properly. I called Keurig on this - and their customer service team says "some of the brewers were redesigned with slight changes that don't allow the My K-Cups to fit. You have to move a small gasket down each time you switch between your K-Cups and your My K-Cup. We don't have a new My K-Cup that works - so you need to just use this "work around" for the time being." Now with my Eco-Brew - problems solved! That's because it's the exact same size as the K-Cups! No more changing the adapter in and out. It works better too! Coffee is stronger! No more "hole down the middle" with weak coffee and wasted grounds that were never used. Whoever designed this was a genius..... and too bad for Keurig they didn't think of it!
55 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2011
With the price of coffee continually rising, I've been on a search for a replacement to the expensive K cups for some time. Their recent price increase is outrageous IMHO (I mean, how much coffee is really in there to justify the recent 15% or so increase?). I've tried the My K-cup from Keurig. It did ok, coffee was a little weak, and it was a bit of a hassle to swap out the holder and then cleaning out the grounds as well.

I moved onto the EZ-cup pod holster, using tea filter bags. This eliminated much of the mess, but the coffee quantity is a little low resulting in a weaker cup (but similar to the My K-cup). Plus, I had to buy the bags and we're trying to save money here.

Next came the solofill, but again, the coffee quantity is a little lower than I like. Cleaning out the solofill isn't hard, but it takes longer than it should, due to the nooks/crannies in there. Still better than the My K-cup as you don't have to pop out the holder.

Ok, on to the the ekobrew. They obviously put a lot of thought into the design of this thing. The cutouts are exactly where they need to be and the water flows out more evenly thru the grounds. Because of this design, there is a little more room in there for the grounds resulting in a better brew. I've only used this a few times, but cleanup is easier than the My K-cup and solofill. I would guess it's because the design is flatter on the bottom and the sides seem straighter. Not quite as convenient as the EZ-cup, but it's a better cup and cheaper.

I'll be looking into getting another one of these!
on August 8, 2011
My disclaimer- I'm a coffee geek. There's a few precursors to this Keurig brew basket, including what Keurig sells at Costco with the machine. The advantages to all of them is getting the coffee you want, getting it at less than 1/2 the price and saving the planet with less waste. Most people just want the convenience of buying and throwing away the K-Cup, so all of these options are for a limited audience. Where the EkoBrew shines is cup quality- more coffee in the cup. This comes from really nice saturation of the coffee because of the cone shaped water dispersion. It's easy to hold and get out of the machine. The puck comes out clean without digging out crevices as an earlier. This is the first one I've seen with a rubber O-ring that seals the cup shut. Ingenious. Kudos to these guys.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse