Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Color: Built-in Dual USB|Change

on January 11, 2012
I've previously used available (Fuji, etc.) combo plug adapters - most require removing a cover allowing plug-ins, and replacing with a USB-cover, initially a single USB outlet and more recently with two - and some require carrying awkward, bulky adapters for different plug schemes you must attach to the adapter body. This package is lighter and more compact than any of the others out there, and does not require any fiddling or cover removal. You can plug it into a socket in the US, Australia, the UK, Europe etc. and immediately you have a plug adapter (even for US three prong grounded plugs) AND two handy USB 5 volt, 1 amp each, outlets for your cell phone, Kindle, iPad, etc.

(NOTE: this adapter is not for appliances that require a grounded outlet - it does accept grounded appliance plugs, but it is not grounded when you plug it in.)

If you travel as I do, with one carry-on and one "personal item", and one or two smart phones (a multiband dual SIM chip phone for travel), a camera, a reader or tablet, etc. and are looking for a portable, one-piece light and very handy multi-plug adapter with USB outlets, this is definitely the one! (You will also find it here on Amazon under the "Lifetrons" brand name - it appears to be the same item - as well as on British Airways duty free shopping.)

Oct 2013: I continue to take this on my travels and it continues to work as new. It appears to be solidly built, and I love having a "pass through" plug for local power plus two USB ports that can all be used simultaneously.

June 2014: Finally bought the bullet - some small item inside broke and the prongs are now not extending. I got about four years of use, not bad for approximately fifty cents a month.
22 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2013
Everyone has a device that uses USB for power, and likely everyone has multiple. This adapter's USB connectors were a godsend on my trip and allowed me to charge my phone and my friends' phones all at once with room to charge camera batteries as well. The downside is that the cube is a little heavy, and had the tendency to fall out of the socket where the fit wasn't perfect. Even then, I'm glad I brought this along.

I used it on a six-month trip without any issues, we visited:
Thailand
Burma
India
Nepal
on October 16, 2011
Worked well on a recent trip to Germany/Austria. I would not recommend carrying this bulky/heavy adapter unless you need USB power. The 2 USB ports were very handy for charging phone/GPS; and my laptop charger had no problems using the unaltered (230V) voltage on the 5-15 receptacle. Four separate adapter prongs slide out separately to handle pretty much any standard input type around the world. The EU prongs are long enough to reach inside the recessed safety receptacles now in most German hotels, but adapter does not contact the receptacle ground so be aware. The design is awkwardly-cantilevered; so you'll need to be careful not to bump the adapter once it's in -- otherwise, it can pop rather easily out of the socket.
on July 11, 2012
The weight of this product is excellent, and the fact that it has 2 USB ports was very useful. This item does NOT convert 220VAC to the US 110V, it allows you to plug into a foreign outlet though.

Most laptops, shavers, etc will take between 100-240VAC, so all you would need is this, plug most phones will charge from a USB source, so just plug your USB adapter into this and your charging. It does have a very annoying, and very bright BLUE light. It weighs next to nothing, especially when compared to a step down converter.

I still bought a converter for my laptop since it hums if plugged directly into 220VAC, but only ended up using it 2 times to charge my laptop, the other times I just used this.
on March 25, 2012
I got this adaptor as i wanted to use it in India for many of the gadgets i was using that i bought from the US, but the pins are too small for the indian plug points. Not a useful buy for India travel.
22 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2012
Just bought this for a trip to Europe. Worked in Rome, Paris and London and we were staying in flats not hotels. Came in handy while waiting to leave the US as all the outlets were in use when we arrived at our gate. I plugged this adapter in, and there were now 3 plugs (the 120, and the 2 USB) instead of only 1 to share.
on July 22, 2014
Notice first of all that there are two variants of this product being sold: The original Tripshell and the Tripshell 2. I tried both: my girlfriend got the original, and I got the Tripshell 2.

Both have their defects.

Most obviously, the Tripshell 2 actually removes a feature found in the Tripshell 1, which is the ability to simultaneously use your USB ports and the socket at the same time. So if you want to charge your cell phone while you're watching a DVD, you're simply out of luck. Strange upgrade.

The Tripshell 2, basically, is a universal adapter plus a USB charger that plugs into American two-prong sockets.

The Tripshell 2 is also heavier and more easily falls out of loose sockets, a problem I experienced first-hand in New Zealand. I'd have to use something else to *prop up* the Tripshell 2. The Tripshell 1, in contrast, did not have a tendency to slip out of the wall sockets I used.

So why get a Tripshell 2 instead of a 1? As far as I can tell, its only advantage is that the 8amp fuse is replaceable and a spare is included inside the gadget. Other than that, the Tripshell 2 is actually a massive downgrade! Curious, given the fact that you shouldn't really need a fuse on an adapter (which has no circuitry).
on July 7, 2014
I gave this product 1 star.. While it does work well, the thing is pretty bulky, the light is extremely bright at night. While I was in Greece, I went to plug in my surge protector and it blew out the fuse in the product, tripped my surge protector, and tripped the circuit breaker in the room. It started working briefly after that but then died. I've maybe used it for a 4 days like that before it decided to sh*t the bed, metaphorically speaking. I will probably return this item as it doesn't work the way it should.
on December 23, 2012
So, it does what it says on the tin: multi-country adaptor for Europe, UK, US, Australia (and similar countries). Note that it doesn't cover india / south africa and anywhere else with the old-school, round 3-pin plugs. The best feature is the USB charger. Twin outlets, capable of charging even the ever-awkward newer Blackberrys and even the high-current requirements of the iPad2. Not tried on the new iPad. Seems to be OK with up to 2 1A devices simultaneously, although it did get a little warm when using both charge ports simultaneously.

The only downside is the insanely bright blue LED that indicates when it's plugged in. It's not just bright - it's practically a night light. And there's no way of disabling it. Admittedly, nothing that a bit of electrical tape won't fix, but does it really have to be that bright???
on November 30, 2013
Worked flawlessly in Germany.

Charged iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Pro all at once.

Also has a blue LED that can kind of be a night light to help with negotiating around a room you are not familiar.

I will probably keep using it in the US just for the dual USB power connections.
review image