Can you check email on 3G Kindle??? Considering my first e-reader - and wondering if you can check email if you buy the new touch Kindle with 3G?
Thank you! Donna
asked by D. Hannon on September 28, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 answers
A
Kindle Customer Service clarified this issue. You can use the experemental browser on the Kindle Touch only over Wi-Fi. 3G browsing will be disabled. Therefore you will be able to check your email only when connected to a Wi-Fi network.

The Kindle Keyboard 3G will retain the ability to use the experimental browser over the 3G connection, at least for the time being. If 3G access to your email is an issue, then the Kindle Keyboard would be your only choice.
J. Blount answered on October 5, 2011
Comment | 12 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
yup--but only if your email's web interface is compatible with the kindle's experimental web browser.
J. Choi answered on September 28, 2011
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just bought and tried out the Kindle Touch. They HAVE fixed it so we can't check email, unless a WIFI connection is available. This makes me very unhappy, because I travel outside the country quite often, and would like an easy way to look at email without finding an internet cafe.
TerriL answered on December 1, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
http://www.kuforum.co.uk/kindleusersforum/thread-616.html

yup.
J. Choi answered on September 28, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
There is still some question about this so I don't think you should consider this the final word.

On CURRENT Kindle 3G models (K2, DX, K3), you can use the web browser with 3G and check your email. There is some very tricky wording in the TOUCH info that says you can download BOOKS over 3G, but web browsing is done over wi-fi. So I think the answer may be no. Amazon is no longer going to pay the bill for this kind of web access under 3G.

If that is a key issue for you, call CS. 1-866-321-8851 in the US.
Fool for Books answered on September 30, 2011

A
I have sent many an e-mail through my Kindle KEYBOARD 3G via Gmail's basic HTML interface. It does not seem to be able to even load Yahoo! e-mail, mobile or otherwise. At least for me once. I can also text via the mobile website version of Google Voice. I can also access m.facebook.com to Like anything, post comments and status updates, write notes, check into places, send private messages, and do almost anything that doesn't require the Clipboard or uploading.

It technically CAN access the full website versions of all of the above pages, but Google Voice texts don't show and they're all so heavy with actively changing content that about 2/3rds of the time, midway of the eon that it takes to load them, they freeze the Kindle, requiring a hard reboot each time.

I do many other things such as surf www.dealnews.com/m - m.lifehacker.com - m.bbc.co.uk - I read the Bible online at mobile.biblegateway.com, I mobile-bank (I have sent out checks to billers and transferred funds from bank acct. to bank acct. on it), I blog; I even translate when abroad, punching English sentences into foreign ones at translate.google.com/m (very helpful).

There is apparently a 50MB monthly limit for 3G use, which after I inquired, resets on the 1st of the month.

By the way, to the Gmail user on the first page who said the screen is too small; memorize the key sequence Menu-Down-Enter (to Zoom In). Landscape mode (the Aa key east of the space bar) might also help. I like to compose messages in Landscape mode at 200%; it almost perfectly covers the whole text box.

Give me a fake account's username and password to any e-mail provider and I can check for you if the mobile website (please provide a link to that too) works on the Kindle Keyboard 3G, which is really not an eReader but an omni-functionality device. Too bad GPS/map websites are impractically clunky with it!
Josh C answered on July 19, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The ability to get email over 3G is very important to me especially when for one whole week we were without WiFi access while waiting for a part to fix our WiFi router. Our phone service is also over the Internet, so when WiFi is down for us, I need that 3G access to keep in contact with family. Other times have been when the power is out for a day or two. It would have been nice for Amazon to keep the complete 3G for the newest Kindles, but I do understand the cost to them.
This time around I went ahead and purchased the Kindle Keyboard 3G/WiFi with Special Offers. What a lovely all around reader, perfect for out and about.
luvshihtzu answered on February 12, 2012

A
Do you know if hotmail is compatible? Thank you! Donna
D. Hannon answered on September 28, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thank you so very, very much!
D. Hannon answered on September 29, 2011

A
Thank you! I will call Customer Service, as it is a key issue whether to purchase the 3G or not.
Thank you for your reply. Donna
D. Hannon answered on September 30, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product