5.0 out of 5 stars Super-compact USB-powered battery charger
Despite what the name may suggest, this eneloop USB Charger (2 AA) can be used to recharge any brand of NiMH cells - not just eneloop. It can also recharge 1-2 AAA cells - not just AA. It is a 'smart' charger that monitors the status of each cell independently, so there is no danger of over-charging the cell.

Unlike a stand-alone charger which needs to be...
Published on July 22, 2010 by NLee the Engineer

2.0 out of 5 stars WALL CHARGER IS MUCH BETTER
CONS:
-I used this product and found that it is a major drain on my laptop. The battery would deplete very quality or the battery would barely recharge while this was also plugged in at the same time. And my laptop is pretty new. This probably won't be an issue for desktop PCs.
Published on July 20, 2011 by Neil S. Majd

5.0 out of 5 stars Super-compact USB-powered battery charger, July 22, 2010
This review is from: eneloop USB Charger (2 AA)

Unlike a stand-alone charger which needs to be connected to an AC outlet, this charger (MDU01S) draws its power from the USB port of your laptop or PC. That's why it can be made so tiny, and you never have to search for yet another AC outlet. The down-side is that: since the power available from an USB port is limited, its charging current is relatively low. If you put just one AA cell in it, the charging current is 850mA. That means it takes about 2.5 hours to fully recharge one 2000mAh eneloop cell. But if you put two cells in it, the current drops to 450mA each. So now it takes nearly 5 hours to fully recharge 2 eneloop AA cells.

One physical limitation of this charger is that: in order to recharge AAA cells, you have to flip the positive (+) terminal down. That makes it impossible to recharge one AA and one AAA at the same time.

Another concern is that: once your laptop goes into low-power standby or 'sleep' mode, its USB ports may be turned off, which means the charger will also stop working.

If, like me, you always travel with your laptop computer, then the MDU01S makes a very nice travel charger. Otherwise, you may want to consider the Sanyo eneloop MDR02 as a stand-alone travel charger.

[Update on April 30, 2013]
Sanyo (or rather Panasonic) has discontinued the excellent MDU01S, so the price of dwindling inventory has skyrocketed. Fortunately, I found another charger with exactly the same electrical spec:
GP Recyko 2 Hour USB Charger with 2 AA NiMh Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries
As of right now, it is the only Smart USB charger I can recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for solar charging off the grid., July 8, 2012
XMAN777 (Bensalem, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: eneloop USB Charger (2 AA)
I think the true purpose of this charger is to allow a low voltage charging input to trickle charge your batteries. I use this in tandem with a foldable solar charger while backpacking to keep my batteries fresh 2 at a time while hiking during daylight hours. Using the charger this way ensures that each night I will have a fresh set of batteries for my lights or to charge my cell phone if need be. This is one piece of the puzzle, but perhaps the most useful piece if you or someone you know enjoys hiking/biking/camping outdoors for extended periods of time.
Otherwise, like another reviewer has stated, the usb charger is slower than the wall charger, but for good reason, the wall provides 110VAC to the inverter which charges the batteries at a faster rate. Since this is a USB charger, it uses a 5VDC input to charge the batteries. The two are not even in the same league. Also, as for the drain on your laptop battery, well, you are charging 2 1900 MA hour batteries with one laptop battery, which does not make any sense anyways, so as for those comments, they really should be ignored.
If this charger is used for its intended purpose, it will grant the user with optimal performance.
This charger is to fill the gaps. Of course when you are home, use the wall charger.
If you are in a car, this works great with a usb cig lighter adapter. You can charge your batteries on the way to the next photography gig. We have done it plenty of times to keep our flashes going. All told, I own 6 of these and use them all to fill the gaps as before mentioned.
There is a lot of versatility to be had by being able to charge on the run anytime, anywhere.
This charger will charge any brand of rechargeable batteries although there is a burst warning on the back of the charger stating that other batteries may burst if used with this charger. I have not experienced that, but when in doubt, heed the warning labels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertized, but slow, September 14, 2012
This review is from: eneloop USB Charger (2 AA)
I use this to charge all my AA and AAA batteries. It is slow when charging through the computer; I have much better luck when I plug it into the wall via an adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome idea, December 7, 2011
This review is from: eneloop USB Charger (2 AA)
I use this from my phone USB, powered hub or car USB charger. Love the flexibility and wish it was for 4 batteries and a bit smarter.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little charger, November 6, 2011
swright192 (Sunnyvale, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: eneloop USB Charger (2 AA)
This charger is small enough to keep in my computer case. I use it to keep a fresh set of batteries charged for my mouse. It works great (even though it takes awhile to charge a set). I highly recommend this charger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and lite, April 16, 2011
This review is from: eneloop USB Charger (2 AA)
Good options to charge on the go. Used with a computer, car USB adapter or Brunton restore. Eneloop batteries work well with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars WALL CHARGER IS MUCH BETTER, July 20, 2011
CONS:
-Whats more, it does not charge as well as the Eneloop wall charger (e.g. after x hours, your batteries will be less charged than if you had plugged them in for the same amount of time).

PROS:
-Charges AAA as well as AA batteries (some USB chargers only charge AA)
-High-quality design and material
-The major positive I can think of is when you are traveling outside the United States and can't use a wall-charger (although you would probably need some kind of adapter for your laptop anyway).

SUMMARY: For general use, the wall-charger is much better: it charges faster, and has four battery slots instead of two.

eneloop USB Charger (2 AA)
Out of stock