Is 3Mbps fast enough for reliable streaming? I live in a rural area and my only feasible High speed internet is 3Mbps DSL. We can watch hulu on the laptop with only the occasional streaming issue. Would that connection be fast enough for reliable streaming?

I don't currently have an HDTV (yes, we live under a rock, too), so I am not overly concerned with HD just yet.
asked by Amazon Customer on December 26, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 answers
A
vote
Hi Robert,
If your speed tests are indicating you're always getting 3Mbps speed, you will be able to do 720p HD at best if this is the only thing using the internet. I'd recommend using something like http://speedtest.net to test you actual bandwidth as what you're paying for is not necessarily what your getting. You will need to test at various times of the day on both weekdays and weekends.
Please refer to my cutting the cable cord guide for further details.
R. Diamond answered on December 28, 2011

A
votes
I have about 3Mbps internet service, most times, and my two Roku players stream just fine in HD. The only problems that I've encountered with Netflix is when the internet traffic is heavy on Netflix during peak periods of the week, and then everything slows down.

If you have a modem and a router, content on the Roku will stream just fine on 3Mbps. My wife and I often go visit our grandchildren in California and their internet Broadband speed varies between 1 to 1.5Mbps, and the Roku player they own still streams content, but with more stops, starts and reloading. Sometimes the picture quality suffers.

The slower your internet speed is the more the Roku player will reset itself.
David Burrell answered on December 26, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›