Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Pokemon Platinum forum

Why do every Pokemon game that's on a handheld has crappy graphics?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 4, 2009 4:04:30 PM PDT
A.Wells says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 8, 2009 3:52:58 PM PDT
Jon says:
have you done a side by side comparison? Obviously you haven't, or you'd see how ridiculous that sounds. The newer games graphics really are a lot better than the old ones.

Posted on Apr 11, 2009 2:00:39 PM PDT
C. Amburn says:
You'd be hard pressed to find some truly great-looking DS games... They all have PS1-level asthetics(or worse) but it seems unrealistic to expect more from a little 120-dollar handheld.

Now the /real/ shame is how bad the 3-d pokemon games look... They could really try a little harder on things like Colloseum and Battle Revolution.

Posted on Apr 16, 2009 2:59:58 PM PDT
"Why do every Pokemon game that's on a handheld has crappy graphics?"
Why are your English so bad?

Posted on Apr 24, 2009 6:58:14 AM PDT
Horohoro says:
i kinda get what you mean because they could have used graphics like they did in the gamecube pokemon games (and yes the ds could support those typ of graphics, i've seen it do graphics like those ones befor). but the're not as bad as the old griphics used on the older pokemon games.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2009 9:52:42 AM PDT
Hahahah, what. D/P/P uses 3D backgrounds for the outside environments, and the sprites that are used for the characters, Pokemon, and buildings are far superior to those in R/B/Y. Seriously, R/B wasn't even in color, and Yellow barely passed in that regard.

Posted on Jul 9, 2009 5:36:06 PM PDT
Chuck T says:
I think the point is being missed. Its been what 10 years easy since the first p-mon games? Similar time frame for zelda games. Zelda Links Awakening vs Zelda Phantom Hourglass. Progress was definitely made there. For the most part though not much has changed in the pokemon games. The "3d" environments might as well be 2d. It doesn't even use the capabilities of the ds very well.

Posted on Jul 22, 2009 6:21:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2009 6:22:01 AM PDT
C. Groves says:
Did you ever think of the sheer amount of data that a Pokemon game has?

To squeeze all of that on to an "old school" cartridge must be hard enough.

Posted on Aug 15, 2009 5:41:51 PM PDT
Pokemon games don't have any more data than any other RPG, and there really isn't any excuse for the recycled assets of the recent Pokemon games. Kids will keep buying these games and they'll keep making tons and tons of money. The largest sized N64 cart is half the size of the smallest sized NDS cart. Nintendo isn't going to spend extra resources making each iteration any more than a half step forwards, when they're going to make millions from each game anyways.

Posted on Oct 18, 2009 7:22:56 AM PDT
Red says:
What is wrong with you people? Graphics are not the focus of these games.
Fun is first and foremost thing on Game Freak/Nintendo's mind - not graphics. Sony and Microsoft have poisoned peoples' minds. You're saying we should have 3D graphics because we could. Have you stopped to consider if you SHOULD?
I'm disappointed in you, Amazon users.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2009 6:26:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2009 10:05:18 AM PDT
William T. Monks,

That's because we're Pokemon fanatics, dude. We don't need advice from someone who worships the PSP. It's amazing you would waste your time coming here knowing you hate Pokemon. Next time please don't do it again. And you're worrying about stuff you should not worry about. So next time keep this stuff to yourself and not care about it at all. And just so you know money is not the only thing they care about. Nintendo also cares about the Pokemon fanbase. You need to stop saying money is the only thing they care about. Because more of the reasons for the "recycled assets" is for those Pokemon superfans or for those who have missed out on the generation. So there IS a reason for those recycled assets. Next time don't post advice if you're a Pokemon hater. It's hard for Nintendo to come up with something new nowadays. They still make money because of Pokemon fanatics.

Dark Games Duelist,

I could not agree with you more, I mean seriously why are graphics such a big deal to these people? Graphics don't make a better game.
So let's stop making a big deal out of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2010 12:17:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2010 12:21:18 AM PDT
Stranger 5 says:
Comment Necromancer here, but still I can't ignore the idiocracy of your comment. You are clearly the eptiome of the saying "Because Light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak (in this case, typing it out over the internet)."

Just because you're a die hard Pokemon fanactic doesn't mean everyone else is. Some of us enjoy the game due to the fact that's it has J-rpg elements. I'm not a pokemon fanatic. I've only played three Pokemon games total: Pokemon SoulSilver, Pokemon Red Edition, and this one. So you're claim about being a fanatic doesn't hold up to anything.

The original commenter was not offering advice to anything. Just merely stating his/her view which everyone else seems to do on Amazon comments (see like your self and there is nothing I see that makes you stand out or better than the others).

Honestly how many people worry about games? Let's be serious. All the commenter was saying was Pokemon could use a face lift considering the DS's/DSIs potential. And clearly they have showed numerous times that it can do better than stationary sprites that only move up and down. Appearly they have learned their lesson with the new upcoming Black and White Editions.

What the heck does the PSP Have to do with anything? Sounds like a personal bias opinion to me since it has nothing to do with Pokemon, the original commenter, or anyone elses for that matter.

At You,

Why is it always a big deal if someone suggests a face lift for the grahpics? The game play is not being changed and nor is it going to switch from 2D to 3D so why bother with all of your nonsense?

Posted on Apr 23, 2010 10:07:33 AM PDT
Alec Smith says:
In my opinion, Nintendo games have always been more about fun than about how awesome the graphics are. I'm an old school gamer who started on the NES and sometimes I think we've become too obsessed with awesome graphics. Is it fun for you? If it is then great - buy it and play it. If it isn't fun for you then don't buy it.

Posted on May 14, 2010 8:58:45 AM PDT
Paige Nance says:
If graphics are just as or more important than fun why does virtual console exist??

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2010 6:46:35 AM PDT
Mr. Meme says:
I think because Nintendo hasn't made a system with smaller pixels, and a game like that could take more years to make.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 7:53:25 AM PDT
Because, generally speaking, the downfall of gameplay is when developers decide to supercharge their graphics. Lets face it... Plenty of sucessful and enjoyable genres have fallen because they needed better graphics. Look at the difference in Final Fantasy. 7 was the peak. 8 was a slight decline and 9 was debatable. Move to the PS2, market graphics, and the end result? FFX (aka complete trash). I'm just saying, I'll take a strong story, replayability, and general enjoyment over graphics any day.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2011 1:31:55 PM PDT
FFX was not 'complete trash'.

Ten is much better than 11, 12 or 13 and even better than 9.

8 was my first FF game so I have a nostalgia bias, but I can pretty much say X was a better game despite this.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 1:01:44 PM PDT
tbcpat says:
*AHEM*

my son owns a DS and an N64, you could fit several hundred NDS cards into a space the size of an N64 game! you could fit a DS into a space barely larger than the N64 pak!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 8:28:11 AM PDT
Kieran C says:
A DS cartridge is bigger in the sense it can hold a lot more data than an N64 cart, not bigger in the physical sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013 10:51:23 PM PST
physical size isnt everything, you could fit hundreds of thousands of ds cartridges in the apollo spaceship doesnt mean data wise that rocket is bigger then a ds cartridge cause its not
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pokemon Platinum forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Apr 4, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Pokemon Platinum
Pokemon Platinum by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
4.4 out of 5 stars (321)