Customer Discussions > World of Warcraft - (Obsolete) forum

Is everyone who plays World of Warcraft get addicted to it

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 15, 2007 4:07:37 AM PDT
bartman5560 says:
I am thinking of playing this game but my mom thinks it will become my life and i was wondering if everyone who plays the game gets addicted to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2007 1:16:50 PM PDT
Apu says:
Well Bartman, You're thinking about it all wrong. Your mom thinks that if you start playing, you will become addicted. You don't know if that is true. It's all about your state of mind. I have online friends who are 300 pounds and live in a basement. I have a job, don't weigh within 100 pounds of my friend, and am totally unaddicted. The key is to put hourly timers on it, or addiction is a possibility. Hope this helps convince your mom.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2007 2:55:57 AM PDT
bartman5560 says:
It has thanks Apu

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2007 8:55:57 AM PDT
mbb says:
Bart, Please do not get started with this game. My son is 19 and addicted to this game. He is a very bright young man who flunked out of a prestigious college in engineering because all he did was play this game. He has been home for one year and done nothing but play the game. My advice is that your mother is right. If you don't believe me check out this web-site of people whose husbands and /or wives are addicted. http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/WOW_widow/
I wish you the best of luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2007 11:25:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2007 6:28:36 AM PDT
carnage says:
you have the power to do anything you want... addiction is a scapegoat for the weak minded...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2007 10:47:56 PM PDT
JJ says:
You will be addicted if you let yourself. I do not play much and just play it when I have nothing else to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 7:09:52 PM PDT
J. Kaiser says:
I played this game for a year and I had 2 nights a week i could play really late and i could play in moderation the others after a year and hitting lvl 70 and in a great guild i decided i didn't like the 70 end game and decided to go party more often and it wasn't that hard to quit the game. I was a stright A student through the days i played and it really made me a better typer and better with computers. If i would redo i would do the same thing, if you have the proper willpower you can't get addicted to anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2007 9:07:52 AM PDT
Ken says:
Sir or Ma'am,
As a middle-aged father who plays with his two teenagers 3-4 night per week (and we have a very balanced, full life) my advice would be this. Go to your local Justice of the Peace (or whatever it is in your state) and evict your son. Stop enabling his irresponsible lifestyle. A little time in a low end job, scratching to make ends meet will be a healthy eye opener for him.
maybe we should start a takepersonalresponsibility.com
Best of luck to You.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2007 6:40:12 PM PDT
pete3great says:
I'm with you on that, Ken. These "addicition is a disease" and "anything you enjoy you can become addicted to" attitudes need to go. Addiction is a choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2007 3:08:51 PM PDT
Rest assured everyone if you manage your time and keep track of your responsibilites you will not be possessed by this game. I am 16 years old, I am a black belt in tae kwon do which I actively participate in, I am very involved in school: I am taking two Advanced Placement classes, I am involved in a number of different clubs, I am taking spanish, chemistry, and precalculus just to name a few of my classes, and I have a very active social life.

Last year I received a 4.0 GPA while maintaining a 3.5 GPA earlier in the year and I plan on learning how to dance sometime. As you can see I have a life outside WoW which I play when all my work is done. You can too if you manage your time like I do. Don't listen to people who say this game will suck your life away.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 7:28:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2007 7:30:22 AM PST
bartman,

if you have an addictive personality, then it's not going to matter what you do. Personally, I've played WoW and I LOVE video games. I did not like WoW.

The question i have for you is: do you do something else such as play an instrument or do sports? if so, then so long as your school life doesn't suffer, you're keeping yourself active, then play away! Games are meant to be fun. School first, fun later.

fyi. studies have shown that video game players are in better shape, do more things, have better hand-eye coordination then the general population. I play video games, I run 3 miles every other day, and I teach full time. If you maintain good grades and do something besides play video games, then I think your mom might be more willing to let you do video games to your hearts content. Again, school first, play later.

"Apu" said it right..there are some gamers that are overweight and do nothing but play games. And I agree with him again, it's all your state of mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 7:58:40 AM PST
Janet says:
I play WoW and I put a lot of time in on it as well. I find it more productive than watching television. One who sits and watches television that has been carefully designed to market all kinds of things, or interact with other people and THINK? If I have something else to do rather than play the game, it gets done first. Some people have trouble with time management and "addiction." Those problems will surface with or without a game. Don't enable these people. Sometimes I think people fear the unknown. Ignorance is not a reason to criticize people who do play games as a source of entertainment. I can't see paying $150 for concert tickets, plus the evenings meal, t-shirt, program, parking. A lot of us are raising kids, have families, and you know what? This is our only form of entertainment because it requires no babysitter and little money. I know a lot of husband / wife / family players. It's easy to blame the game, but it's actually the person who is responsible.

Gaming is as much or more responsible and productive as sitting in front of a TV all night.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2007 9:08:19 AM PST
GEN Malaise says:
Some people have addictive personalities and should avoid whatever causes them to fall. Could be booze, TV, whatever.

Most people are fine with beer, but some need to avoid it totally because they become alchies too easily. Same with WoW, it depends on your personality.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 1:49:53 PM PST
Yes. If you do not become addicted, you're not doing it right.

Three years, two accounts. I get the shakes every day at work around 10 am and they don't stop until I get home and get to the keyboard...

There's a lot to do, and it's an immersive game. I'm not sure I'd call it addictive though. I enjoy playing and I do that instead of watching TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2007 7:12:49 PM PST
Elflin says:
Bartman, tell your mom that if SHE sets the account up, she can put parental controls on it that can be set to limit the times that you can play. Though you have to know the password to sign on, there is a secondary password that the account holder can put on the account to access the parental controls.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2007 9:29:44 AM PST
Deedee says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2008 3:27:06 PM PDT
bterrier says:
To the parent whose 19 year old sits at home and plays WoW all day, can you say, "enabler"? How about you go flip the circuit breaker to your son's room? He can't play without that juice you're paying for; problem solved.

To the person who said addiction is a choice, you are wrong. Science is now discovering that addiction has a physical basis in the brain's mesolimbic pathway and a genetic predisposition. Don't let judgmental moralism blind you to facts.

To the OP, how old are you? If under 15 don't play it at all. If over, have your mom put parental controls on it, and make a written contract with her to pull the plug on it if your grades start to slip. Yes, some people let this game take over all their time and other areas of their lives suffer. But others are able to limit game time to a reasonable amount.

My suggestion is you substitute WoW for television. It is much better and healthier for you than passive TV watching. It can even teach you a lot about economics and teamwork. But don't substitute it for physical activities and sports. Keep up with those at all costs or you'll go down a bad road of ill health.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2008 6:33:05 PM PDT
Game Fan says:
I'm a physician and I used to play this game intensely for about a year when it first came out. I quit cold turkey after a while realizing the effect it had on me. I've done quite a bit of work in addiction medicine, and I can say that the game has many "built in" features that maximize addictive potential. Not everyone gets addicted who plays, but there is certainly a core group of people who are more susceptible than others, and for those people this game will be disastrous. Can I pre-screen a person and tell them that they will be an addict? Probably not. But if you value any use of your constructive time for the betterment of yourself, your family, and your community, I would avoid this game at all costs.

I would also say that its poor parenting to buy this game for a child. When I was a child, organizations like Boy Scouts enriched my life, and allowed me to give back to my community and country. Children have so much potential, to waste it on a game like this is child abuse. If my language is too harsh, I apologize, but after seeing death every day in my line of work, you realize how precious life is and how precious our time on this planet is.

Okay, I'm off my soap box, thanks for reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 9:03:09 AM PDT
carnage says:
game fan... i suppose your name implies you like to play games... but here you criticize them... wow is not any more or less addictive than any other game can be... a ps3 and a blockbuster card could potentially be just as addictive... so, why bag on this game...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 9:08:03 AM PDT
Janet says:
I think any game in the wrong hands is a bad idea. I've seen kids who were really impressive on this game and brought out the best in them. I've seen other kids whose parents never seemed to watch them. If you want a babysitter, this isn't it. If your kid is genuinely interested in this type of thing, it's definitely a lot of fun. It takes a lot of hard work and thought to play. It's not a simple first person shooter. It's quite intricate. Can someone get addicted? Yeah, some people have that potential. Then again, that person will have that addictive tendency with anything s/he is exposed to. Rather than remove the potential, teach the child a coping mechanism so s/he is less apt to fall into that habit. Don't blame the game. We have fun and I regularly help kids out on our server - we have lots of fun! I think kids are more fun to game with sometimes because they aren't nearly so intense with it. 8-D

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 9:21:59 AM PDT
AmandaM202 says:
It all depends on the individual. It doesn't have the nickname "Warcrack" for no reason...

It really depends on your playstyle, your gaming mentality (IE, are you a "hard-core" gamer, or a "casual" gamer) as well as what other things you have going on in your life. I think alot of the people who spend hours and hours and hours playing doing so because that IS their interest and what they want to do with their free time. And really, as long as you aren't neglecting other necessary things... there isn't anything wrong with that.

I'm 26, my fiance is 30, and we both play. I play several hours a week, but not to the exclusion of anything and everything else (I have other hobbies and interests that occupy my free time as well), and I have no problems walking away from the game. He plays much more extensively, but still does other things as well. But... he would be what most people would consider a "hard-core" gamer (his 'hobbies' mainly focus on gaming), and I would be a "casual" gamer.

If you're still in school, I'd recommend playtime as a 'reward' so to speak... you get to play after you do your homework, etc. etc. It can over-run your life... but only if you let it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 9:24:10 AM PDT
Janet says:
Wow, sorry I didn't read this post before I replied. Your post is really extreme "Game Fan." Quitting a game "cold turkey" is something I never experienced. I play when I can, and when I can't oh well. I guess you can do a 12 step program for your addiction but the recidivism rate is high no matter what you're addicted to. That isn't the game, that's the person. "error exists between keyboard and chair."

I watch almost no television. Ever. I think that television can be a genuine waste of time. Playing a game for a few hours a night or watching TV all night... what's the difference? I once had a professor challenge the class to not watch TV for a week. Try it, you'll be surprised at the addiction factor.

We have pedophiles in boy scouts, should we avoid boy scouts then? You can't block kids from potential danger. Better to teach them to cope with these things so they don't have issues later in life.

Your post is just bizarre. I think a few days away from the office might be in order. Child abuse, what the heck.... ROFL

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 12:42:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2008 12:44:27 PM PDT
Game Fan says:
I disagree with you, WOW is certainly more addictive than other forms of passive entertainment (TV/movies), and certainly more addictive than other video games. And this is for a number of reasons 1) lenthy exteded play (includes transits between zones, lengthy quests, lengthy end game raid areas), 2) completey online play often dependent on other players (small or large raid groups) in which saving/pausing is not an option as is in single player games, 3) time-dependent in game events, 4) reward system in game (reputation, honor, items, armor) are directly correlated with length and duration of play.

All of the above leads to maximizing the addictive potential of the game. I use the word potential b/c I do not know the intention of the game designers, and that not everyone gets addicted.

But if you need more proof regarding those who are addicted, and how its affected their families and personal life, see the following: http://www.wowdetox.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 1:17:26 PM PDT
Game Fan says:
Janet, from your sensitivity I would assume you are a mother with a child who plays WOW. I find your post irresponsible and ignorant.

It is the responsiblity of parents to guide their child towards activities that benefit them, and to steer them away from activities that harm them. With childhood obesity and early onset type II diabetes on the rise, parents should be very aware of entertainment that forces children to be more sedentary, at the cost of their health, their education, and their socialization. The point being that although not all people get addicted to WOW, since a significant number do (see www.wowdetox.com), why would one expose a child to this? There is no benefit a child can get playing warcraft that he/she cannot get doing more benign activities. Your argument is absolutely wrong in that "one cannot block children from potential danger." I only need to bring up a few things to disprove that idea: child vaccinations, megans law, child car seats, school guards, parental controls on TVs.

The entire purpose of my original post was that although one cannot deny the entertainment that this game provides millions of people in the world (6 million at last count), one also cannot deny the harm to some people's lives that game addiction brings about. And this WOW game addiction, is at a level that is unprecedented compared to other games in recent and past video game history. Anyone buying this game for themselves, or as a gift, needs to be aware of this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 3:18:19 PM PDT
Janet says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  32
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Jul 15, 2007
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
World of Warcraft - (Obsolete)
World of Warcraft - (Obsolete) by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac, Mac OS X, Windows, Windows XP)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (886)