HDMI Out carries everything? I'm new to AVRs (always just used audio-only receivers) and am curious whether the HDMI OUT on this thing (and similar models) will also carry the component inputs from the receiver to the TV.

So basically, does EVERYTHING go from HDMI out to the TV, or would I need to hook up HDMI as well as component and composoite plugs to the TV?
asked by Darth Bawl on December 5, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
votes
No, it does not. ): Component inputs HAS to be component out, and it is the same for everything else. HDMI out only works for HDMI inputs and so forth.
P. Wong answered on December 17, 2011

A
vote
ARC is not the same thing as Component to HDMI conversion. Most AVRs in this lower price range do not do Component to HDMI conversion. This Yamaha model does not claim to do it.
lacsapper answered on January 17, 2012

A
vote
I saw a few Denon receivers featuring the ability to convert analogue signal types (like component and composite) up to digital, but that feature is the exception. The rule is, if the source uses a type of connection, that same type of connection has to go from the receiver to TV.

FYI, ARC just deals with passing audio back from a TV to the receiver. If, for example, you have your cable TV hooked up directly to the TV, or you're using the TV's built in tuner, and sometimes you want to pipe the audio out to speakers, ARC allows the TV AUDIO to be output to the receiver.
E. Manns answered on December 23, 2012

A
votes
Then this is false advertising, because this particualr unit says it has ARC (Audio Return Channel) which means that the TV can pass sound to the A/V unit, but the rest is as you say the other components will have to connect on their own.
Big D Sweetz answered on January 10, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›