external vs desktop
asked by Derek on July 7, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
vote
Your three-word question is by itself ambiguous. If your question is a reaction to the fact that the description of this device uses both words Desktop and External in its name - my understanding of this is that this is an external drive (enclosing the drive in a plastic and metal package) that relies on AC power (using a AC->DC power supply) and thus is suitable for a desktop system. The drive within the enclosure can be removed and mounted as an internal drive in a desktop system - all fifteen of the drives I've opened have a ST4000DM000 drive inside. This drive includes a USB3.0-to-SATA3 adapter that is easily removable, exposing the SATA3 data and power interface.
C. Hansen answered on July 8, 2013

A
votes
with the speed of usb3 and thunderbolt, external is fast enough for me. While my mac pro has 4 drive bays(maxed out)and it so much cleaner than having these external drives all over the place, technically speaking Im very pleased with external drives. This seagate is a great product.
TBOT answered on July 7, 2013

A
votes
My answer is that it's a toolbox. I only went for external because both of the drive bays on my desktop are already being used, one being a 120gb drive and the other a 500gb drive with both being close to full. The other factor was price, which for the drive plus the external enclosure is actually cheaper in some instances than a bare drive of similar capacity by itself. Otherwise, the fact that it's USB 3.0, I'm not seeing a problem with the speed of my data transfer. I'd say if you don't already have the space for a spare drive in your desktop and if the price point isn't also already reasonable for a bare drive, then go with the external option (and I guess at least this model).
DJ MinWah answered on July 8, 2013

A
votes
it just never worked
alberto de zubiria answered on July 11, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›