5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding folding bike for the money!
Unfortunately, neither Amazon nor fBIKEdirect are able to ship these bikes to Canada (as of 2013/08/17), but after reading these reviews I ordered a couple to a border mail depot in the US and picked them up today... and I'm glad I did!

Published 12 months ago by Gord Lamb

3.0 out of 5 stars Good commuter folding bike for the price
Published 1 month ago by Nate R

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding folding bike for the money!, August 17, 2013
Gord Lamb (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews

The bikes came fully assembled, and are of very high build quality. I've set up many bikes in the past, and when shipped they normally arrive needing major adjustments across all components. Both of my fBIKEs needed nothing more than a little trim on the rear derailleur and tightening of the brake handles (as documented). They clearly spend some time getting things right at the factory.

They look great, ride well, and are quite comfortable. The brakes are a little spongy, but grip tightly. New pads might be a worthwhile upgrade. Shifters, kickstand, and folding mechanism work perfectly.

Frankly, I would be pleased with them if I'd spent $500 on each, and at half that, they are just a spectacular deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fbike a winner, March 13, 2014
Carl (Vernon Hills, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I've only had it for 3 days but have put around 30 miles on it. May update later.
Ubpacking and setup was easy and no transit damage. Took about a half hour but that includes checking to be sure everything is tight. Deuralier and brakes were fine out of the box, but you do need to tighten the screw that holds the brake calipers to the handlebars (the instructions tell you to do this). Had to tighten the clamps on the seat post and handlebar stem and air the tires up.

The Fbike Direct web site includes far more information than the instructions that came with the bike, and the web site includes a link to excellent bike maintenance instructions. I contacted Fbike through their web site with a few questions prior to placing an order. Jeff responed within a half hour and was very helpful. They also have a video on the web site for folding and unfolding the bike if you don't feel sure about this. (Folding and unfolding is quick and easy)

Riding it exceeds my expectations. I had read somewhere that 20 inch wheels caused a bike to pedal harder than one with larger wheels. It pedals far easier than I expected and has a reasonably comfortable ride (even the seat is reasonably comfortable). It is absolutely silent except for the tires on the pavement, and I am confident it will continue (I hate a bike with rattles or squeaks).

I considered a Dahon but am happy I went with the Fbike. DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED.

Update:

After six weeks I am even more pleased with this bike. Aside from 4 pounds less weight I don't see how Dahon could be any better and the Dahon 7-speed is more than twice the price. Another biker frequents the bike path in our area. He rides a Denon single speed that costs $150 more than the Fbike. On a couple of moderate hills he stands on the pedals and weaves around and huffs and puffs to the top. If there is a strong headwind he gets off and pushes his bike to the top. I shift to 3rd gear and stay seated to the top. Sure it works my legs, but that's one of the reasons I bike regularly. By the way, the other rider is about 35 years my junior. I'm 74.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect. Just what I needed., October 22, 2013
I think this may be the first positive review I've ever bothered to write about anything, but I'm so happy with the bike, and these guys engender such hometown loyalty (I live in Boston), I wanted to support them. I bought the green fbike to commute through Boston to work (cutting my 30 minute walk in half). I have nowhere to park a bike at work, but can fold it and put it under the stairs, which works perfectly. It's fun to ride, looks cool, and feels solid and safe. Best of all, the guys who run the company are very accessible. I had an issue with a little part (not the manufacturer's fault), and when I wrote them they zipped out a replacement part, and took the time to chat with me generally over email about the bike, their company, etc. As with all small-wheel bikes, you're only going to be able to go a certain speed on the highest gear, but that high gear is perfect at least for how I use it. Plus, my 6-year old thinks it's super cool, so there's that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and Great Service, June 24, 2013
I recently purchased an FBike from it's original owner, who didn't use it much.
I was very pleased with the quality, design and overal performance.
After about a month of use, one of the fold away padals broke off it's stem.
I contacted the company, gave them my info and they sent me a set of replacement pedals at no cost.
I was very pleased by their response and concern. That's the way to stand by your product!
Thanks again, FBike, and keep up the good work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality fold up bike for the price., March 20, 2013
I bought the fbike in Graphite and have been very impressed with it to date.

I was after a solid good quality fold up bike for commuting but was unwilling to pay up for Brompton or Dahon. The cheaper bikes at Walmart still weren't that inexpensive and didn't get good reviews and therefore didn't look like good value for money.

I came across fbike at an outdoor fair in Boston and after much research ordered online one of their bikes for $250. for that price I think you're getting a good quality bike that you'll struggle to find elsewhere. They're also a local US firm so that gave me further incentive to buy their bike. Since purchasing the bike, I've found the customer service to be excellent and far above my expectations; very personable, helped with questions pre and post ordering, co-founder sends the emails, was timely, proactive and helpful.

PROS:
-Good quality parts (solid folding locks, shimano gears)
-Good price therefore good value for money
-Easy enough to put together out of the box
-Local US bike firm
-decent weight for the size.

CONS:
-Maximum marker very faint on the seat and handlebar posts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent at any price, but unbelievably high quality for the money, May 21, 2014
I bought this a year ago and keep it in my trunk when the weather is good. Whenever I have time between appointments I hop onto whatever rail trail or country road is available.

Some of the strongest good points:

1. The gearset, tires and brakes are high-quality, and the sequential shifter works really well. At this price point you usually do not get hardware of this caliber

2. Though unsprung, and with high pressure tires and small wheels it rides very comfortably

3. The Achilles Wheel of all folding bikes - the hinge - has remained tight and the ride good.

4. The ratios are good for hills and not-such-in shape-people (like yours truly). A higher high gear might be desired by the more svelte.

5. The brake levers are highly adjustable for radial position, which is great as it reduces fatigue

6. The range of adjustment on the handlebar post is also quite good

A few minor improvements for the next version:

1. The locking levers should have their own hold-down clips for when the bike is folded. The have to be strapped in place or they flop around waiting to be damaged by something in the car or a baggage handler

2. When at its most compact the bike rests on the seat post rather than the stand -bracket (which is not that stable), eroding the bottom of the seat-post

3. The kickstand geometry is such that it only works well on perfectly flat surfaces, and even there it's not really stable.

4. If the handlebar was hinged differently the bike could fold even narrower, and you wouldn't have the metal-to-metal contact you have between the frame and handlebar when folded

All in all, If you can't afford a Brompton (at least $1200) , this is next best, no need to spend more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Bike for the Price, June 10, 2013
I purchased this bike to be able to take it on the subway during rush hour since full size bikes are not allowed. The bicycle is very fast to set up and equally fast to fold. Even without practice. Keep in mind that this is a value priced bicyle: it weighs more than the bicycles costing 3x as much. The six speeds have been adequate for me. I am commuting about two miles one way to my office from the subway station and the bicyle is fine for this purpose. Other than the occassional bolt tightening and air in the tires I have experienced no problems. For the purpose for which I bought this bicycle, it has been well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid commuter bike. Excellent customer service, April 8, 2014
This review is from: fBIKE Direct 6 Speed Folding Bike (Misc.)
Got this bike direct from the company's site, but felt I should give them a good review here. Bike came in great shape. Filled the tires, adjusted one break very slightly and rode it 10 miles to work and home. Only other adjustment I made was to tighten the seat as it started to wiggle on my ride home. This would be enough for a decent review, but I'm mostly writing about their customer service.

Something to be careful about. Remember to undo the safety catch on the folding mechanism before trying to open it. This was totally my blunder. I just gorilla'd the thing open and broke a small plastic catch designed to keep the lock from vibrating open while riding. Total nothing part until you don't have one. Then it's everything.

I emailed fbike and said "I'm an a**hat and I broke this piece, any chance for a replacement? "

The reply, which came the following day, said they'd be happy to replace the part, just confirm my shipping address. It also said it is their official policy that none of their customers are a**hats.

That was Sunday, the new part arrived today (tuesday, same week) in a package addressed to "a**hat."

Oh and no charge for the part or shipping.

Excellent bike for the price.

Excellent customer service with a sense of humor to boot.

Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars fBike in Bagram, November 8, 2013
I recently purchased an fBike and I have to say that I'm extremely impressed with both the quality of the product and the customer care that I received. Since Amazon would not deliver to an APO, I contacted the vendor directly. The customer service was excellent. Within two weeks from my purchase, I had my bike delivered to Bagram, Afghanistan where I am currently deployed. It arrived in perfect condition (which I was worried about considering how rough the military postal system handles packages), and it was ready to ride after removing the packing materials, airing up the tires, and clicking everything into place. I have had to adjust the derailleur just a tad, but otherwise it is a very good, smooth, and sturdy ride. I ride on a variety of surfaces and in adverse weather conditions here and have already run it through the wringer over the past week since I received it. So far, so good. The folding joints are solid, the seat and handle bar adjustments are easy, and it is designed to be able to accomodate just about any sized rider. The only negatives that I have encountered are that it is a bit heavy, you really have to crank down on the seat latch to get the seat to not slide down while riding (I'm about 5'7" and 160 lbs), and the fenders are only good in slightly damp conditions (had to rinse my uniform out in the latrine a couple of days ago after a commute in the rain and mud). I do keep in mind that this bike was not meant for off-road mud riding though, so really the negatives may not really come into play if just using it for commuting around the city on paved surfaces. For the price though, I am completely satisfied with the quality and the customer service that I received. Did I mention that it is a good-looking bike too? I got the mojito green paint scheme and it looks great. The styling is cool too. I have gotten a lot of compliments and inquiries as to where I got it from co-workers and other folks around the base. I absolutely love this product and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good-quality, inexpensive, and attractive folding bicycle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good commuter folding bike for the price, July 10, 2014
Nate R (San Jose, California) - See all my reviews
This is a value-priced folding bike for commuters who don't mind a bit of heft in their folder & need a bike with gears. You will find fancier folding bikes that will be: lighter, fold into a smaller/more compact shape, and/or some combination of those things. However, the point of a folding bike is to be a commuting option that is more portable than a full sized bike. For that, this bike definitely has a bunch of value.

The Margarita green color is also an eye-catcher. Almost like a green fire truck color. Being seen is being safe when you're commuting. Other people have given plenty of compliments on the color choice since almost everyone else's bike is black, white, or sometimes red.

Why the lower rating for me? Day 1 of commuting, the chain fell off, and I cut my index finger badly trying to get the chain back on the gears. Didn't like my bike being disabled on the way back to the train, even if I made it to my train with a couple minutes to spare.

Day 3, handle bars went all wonky. There's this screw that holds a plastic collar where the bar holding the handle bars slides down into the bottom half of the handle bar pipes. The plastic collar has a groove that keeps the handle bars aligned with the front tire. Somehow, the screw popped out, and the collar was no longer anchored to the bottom half of the handle bar tube, and began rotating freely. I didn't wipe out, but having the steering go out could have been dangerous. I fixed this with duct tape afterwards, but having one small screw hold that plastic collar in place doesn't seem like a great design choice.

I do like some of the components. The Shimano shifters seem to work well. I like the frame (although one of my female co-workers said it probably would be too heavy for her to reasonably carry up the stairs from BART). The seat is good. The folding mechanisms make sense, even if there are (more expensive) bikes that fold much smaller. However, it wouldn't be truthful to say that the experience has not been without problems.

Would I recommend the bike? Probably not to a total bike novice, and not to someone who is afraid of commuting on a bike. To the bike commuter who wants a pretty decent folding bike to replace or supplement a full-sized commute bike? You could do much worse. Just make sure you put the thing through its paces & get to know its quirks.

Rate and Discover Movies