fBIKE Direct 6 Speed Folding Bike (Graphite gray)
Color: 2. Graphite grayChange
Price:$249.00+$29.95shipping

on March 13, 2014
I've only had it for 3 days but have put around 30 miles on it. May update later.
Ubpacking and setup was easy and no transit damage. Took about a half hour but that includes checking to be sure everything is tight. Deuralier and brakes were fine out of the box, but you do need to tighten the screw that holds the brake calipers to the handlebars (the instructions tell you to do this). Had to tighten the clamps on the seat post and handlebar stem and air the tires up.

The Fbike Direct web site includes far more information than the instructions that came with the bike, and the web site includes a link to excellent bike maintenance instructions. I contacted Fbike through their web site with a few questions prior to placing an order. Jeff responed within a half hour and was very helpful. They also have a video on the web site for folding and unfolding the bike if you don't feel sure about this. (Folding and unfolding is quick and easy)

Riding it exceeds my expectations. I had read somewhere that 20 inch wheels caused a bike to pedal harder than one with larger wheels. It pedals far easier than I expected and has a reasonably comfortable ride (even the seat is reasonably comfortable). It is absolutely silent except for the tires on the pavement, and I am confident it will continue (I hate a bike with rattles or squeaks).

I considered a Dahon but am happy I went with the Fbike. DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED.

Update:

After six weeks I am even more pleased with this bike. Aside from 4 pounds less weight I don't see how Dahon could be any better and the Dahon 7-speed is more than twice the price. Another biker frequents the bike path in our area. He rides a Denon single speed that costs $150 more than the Fbike. On a couple of moderate hills he stands on the pedals and weaves around and huffs and puffs to the top. If there is a strong headwind he gets off and pushes his bike to the top. I shift to 3rd gear and stay seated to the top. Sure it works my legs, but that's one of the reasons I bike regularly. By the way, the other rider is about 35 years my junior. I'm 74.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 22, 2013
I think this may be the first positive review I've ever bothered to write about anything, but I'm so happy with the bike, and these guys engender such hometown loyalty (I live in Boston), I wanted to support them. I bought the green fbike to commute through Boston to work (cutting my 30 minute walk in half). I have nowhere to park a bike at work, but can fold it and put it under the stairs, which works perfectly. It's fun to ride, looks cool, and feels solid and safe. Best of all, the guys who run the company are very accessible. I had an issue with a little part (not the manufacturer's fault), and when I wrote them they zipped out a replacement part, and took the time to chat with me generally over email about the bike, their company, etc. As with all small-wheel bikes, you're only going to be able to go a certain speed on the highest gear, but that high gear is perfect at least for how I use it. Plus, my 6-year old thinks it's super cool, so there's that.
on May 30, 2013
I have been riding my fBike for around 2 months now and I have 2 other much more expensive folders that do not even come close in riding comfort and reliability. I love the fact that I can raise the handle bars to 47 inches, my comfortable riding height. The bike can do asphalt/concrete and I even do some dirt bike trails with it too. The gear changing system is a breeze and works so well too and there is adequate room between the handle bars and seat for a handle bar bag for food/water, lock cable etc. The ride is sooo smooth and it handles like a regular 26 inch bike in many ways. Sometimes I get stopped so much with questions about my fBike that I have a hard time getting in the long rides I need but I do make so many new friends too.

I am ordering another one this weekend in green so I will have one in each car, I ride EVERY DAY! I am recovering from Multiple Myeloma Bone Cancer and my doctors really feel like the combination of chemo and riding my bike is helping me to recover much faster. PLEASE buy this bike, it is and will be the best $249 you will ever spend on a folding bike! :) And the customer support at fBike is awesome, on the phone and or email. They really do care about their product and your satisfaction with it.
review image review image
on October 4, 2013
1 week review -
This was the first bike I hopped on in over 20 years so I have nothing to compare my experience against. I have no plans for using it in city traffic or long bike rides, it's just for tooling around the park.

It was delivered in a nice sized box with the important parts protected. Had it out and up in 10 minutes. Tires had to be inflated but no surprise there. Made sure everything was tight and took it on a test ride. OK, my "made sure everything was tight" consisted of the jiggle test, you definitely want to have a screwdriver and wrench handy and make sure everything is tight. Make sure that the seat and handlebar height adjusts are tight after you adjust for your style of riding.

Quality-wise the body looks and feels solid. it folds/unfolds easily. The frames folding latch can be difficult to unlatch, I had to wedge a screwdriver under it the first couple of times to get it open, it's OK now. The phallic symbol they call a seat is just horrible. Do yourself a favor and have a replacement on hand. I ordered the Sunlite Cloud-9 Bicycle Suspension Cruiser Saddle and it is a great tush protector. Front and back fenders are kind of crappy, I plan to change those in the near future. The brakes brake, the pedals pedal and the gears shift. The max weight is listed as 225 lbs., I'm 250 and haven't noticed any problems.

4 week update: Bike is still going strong. I'm upping the stars to 4 1/4.

Except for the seat, I consider it money well spent.
review image
on April 8, 2014
Got this bike direct from the company's site, but felt I should give them a good review here. Bike came in great shape. Filled the tires, adjusted one break very slightly and rode it 10 miles to work and home. Only other adjustment I made was to tighten the seat as it started to wiggle on my ride home. This would be enough for a decent review, but I'm mostly writing about their customer service.

Something to be careful about. Remember to undo the safety catch on the folding mechanism before trying to open it. This was totally my blunder. I just gorilla'd the thing open and broke a small plastic catch designed to keep the lock from vibrating open while riding. Total nothing part until you don't have one. Then it's everything.

I emailed fbike and said "I'm an a**hat and I broke this piece, any chance for a replacement? "

The reply, which came the following day, said they'd be happy to replace the part, just confirm my shipping address. It also said it is their official policy that none of their customers are a**hats.

That was Sunday, the new part arrived today (tuesday, same week) in a package addressed to "a**hat."

Oh and no charge for the part or shipping.

Excellent bike for the price.

Excellent customer service with a sense of humor to boot.

Highly recommend.
on July 27, 2014
This is a fabulous bike, comparable to $500 Dahon ones and at half the price! I bought it at fbikedirect.com but I am leaving a review here so people can see what a good bike this is. It was delivered fully assembled and all I had to do was install the rear rack and put some air in the tires. Like most folding bikes, it required a little more control that the regular ones but I learned the ropes after a new practice runs. Seat is a little uncomfortable but I can live with it. It is a little heavy to handle (I am 5'2" 130lbs) but I like how it folds up neatly to fit into my small (read 'shoebox') NYC apartment. Highly recommended overall.
on March 23, 2014
I got the FBike to prevent wear and tear on my car while shuttling myself to various locations at work on a military installation. I was immediately struck by the quality of workmanship and how well the bike rides right out of the box. It shifts so smoothly and rides so effortlessly that after just few minutes you feel like you are on a much larger bike. The only reason I didn't give the bike 5 stars is that is NOT light. I drive a small convertible, and lifting the folded bike to put it into the back seat takes moderate effort, and I am not a small man (6' 1" and 195 lbs). Having said that, it folds into a tidy package and goes well with the Columba 20" Folding Bike Bag I purchased. It takes a little effort to work it into the bag, but it fits nicely enough. I did change out the seat since I have never liked the thin, streamlined seats that come on most bikes nowadays. I got the Sunlight Cloud-9 Cruiser Saddle and it fits very well and makes it MUCH more comfortable to ride. Before I ordered the FBike, I was concerned about the riding position and being able to raise the handlebars high enough to ensure an upright riding position, but the bars raise high enough to make the riding position very comfortable for someone of my stature. Overall, if you are looking for a solid little bike to get you around, you can't beat the FBike for the quality and value it offers, but make sure you are ready for the heft of this little package.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 23, 2014
This bike is awesome!
I did my research, like most of you probably are.
I was considering a Dahon Speed Uno or a Retrospec SS.

I decided i probably need the 6 speeds and was i ever right. There is no. Place on earth completely flat, you will have to pedal some hills.
This bike is complete with nearly everything, mud guards, bell, rear rack and comes completely assembled....just mount the rack and pedal away...
very well constructed, hinges are heavy duty, does not rattle and always feels safe.
The 31 lb weight is not any noticeable difference to the 24 lb bikes out there...Fbike even sends a velcro strap with handle for you to be able to grip the bike from the frame and rear rack when folded.

Just keep it clean , and enjoy.
I do recommend ordering some metal folding bike pedals, but that would be for any of the folders.

i ordered it 2pm and it arrived less than 24hrs.
on November 8, 2013
I recently purchased an fBike and I have to say that I'm extremely impressed with both the quality of the product and the customer care that I received. Since Amazon would not deliver to an APO, I contacted the vendor directly. The customer service was excellent. Within two weeks from my purchase, I had my bike delivered to Bagram, Afghanistan where I am currently deployed. It arrived in perfect condition (which I was worried about considering how rough the military postal system handles packages), and it was ready to ride after removing the packing materials, airing up the tires, and clicking everything into place. I have had to adjust the derailleur just a tad, but otherwise it is a very good, smooth, and sturdy ride. I ride on a variety of surfaces and in adverse weather conditions here and have already run it through the wringer over the past week since I received it. So far, so good. The folding joints are solid, the seat and handle bar adjustments are easy, and it is designed to be able to accomodate just about any sized rider. The only negatives that I have encountered are that it is a bit heavy, you really have to crank down on the seat latch to get the seat to not slide down while riding (I'm about 5'7" and 160 lbs), and the fenders are only good in slightly damp conditions (had to rinse my uniform out in the latrine a couple of days ago after a commute in the rain and mud). I do keep in mind that this bike was not meant for off-road mud riding though, so really the negatives may not really come into play if just using it for commuting around the city on paved surfaces. For the price though, I am completely satisfied with the quality and the customer service that I received. Did I mention that it is a good-looking bike too? I got the mojito green paint scheme and it looks great. The styling is cool too. I have gotten a lot of compliments and inquiries as to where I got it from co-workers and other folks around the base. I absolutely love this product and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good-quality, inexpensive, and attractive folding bicycle.
on July 31, 2014
Pros: convenience, solid manufacturing, price, looks
Cons: bit heavy to carry when folded. Rear cargo rack is tricky to use depending how you will use it.

This is my first folding bike, although I have commuted on other bicycles for 10+ years. I have used this particular folding bike for commuting for last 3 weeks. I ride to/from the subway stations in the busy cities (SF and Berkeley, reverse-traffic commute) and fold the bike to carry inside the trains.

Minimal assembly required upon receiving included installation of the rear cargo rack.

Riding this bike feels solid (no squeaky parts) except I would have preferred these foldable plastic pedals to be rock-solid firm. After 3-wks of getting used to it, I started not minding the pedals too much. I just learned to pedal gently at lower gear when starting after a complete stop. Once started, I pedal as fast as I want.

I prefer firmer saddle, but the stock saddle feels OK to me. It is a matter of time that the synthetic saddle cover will give way, and I will just replace the saddle.

Gears shift very smoothly. The gear ratio does limit how fast I ride; yet, it's comparable to the other mountain bike that I have because this folding bike is much lighter.

I can fold or unfold the bike in less than a minute (I'd say, ~30 sec). The latch that locks the main frame requires some substantial finger strength. Perhaps WD40 can help, but so far, this 40-yo 5'11'' 175-lbs male rider was able to manage folding/unfolding without the lubricant.

When carrying while folded the bike feels heavy. I can't complain because this bike is 1/2 the price of other folding bikes that weighs less by only ~10% or more. Most time I carry while unfolded, and it feels like carrying a very light bike. I often fold right at the subway platform ~30-sec before the train arrives. It's that easy to fold once you get used to it.

I tried to mount a messenger bag on the rear rack, and the back of my lower legs kept hitting the bag while riding. Mounting panniers will also result in this. I plan to remove the stock rear rack and install "Ibera Bicycle Seatpost-mount​ed Commuter Carrier IB-RA1". Increasing the height of the rear rack position allowed by this may eliminate the hitting of the back of my legs against the rear-mounted cargo.

The bike is Papaya Orange and is a head-turner.