Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Old fashioned Wooden Wine Box 19.5"x13.5"x5.5" Inside
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 30, 2013
This box looks very nice in the picture, and one of the photos shows it holding many bottles of wine, so it's easy to be misled that this is a sturdy box. That's what I wanted. I need a slight riser for my daughter's folk harp to allow her to stand up and play. This seemed like the perfect thing, just the right size and, like I said, it looks very sturdy (especially with those misleading pictures). We planned to paint/stain it to match the harp. I was really excited about getting it.

What you don't see in the photo is that the bottom of the box is not solid wood like the sides. It is made of wooden strips that are stapled on. One of the strips is quite weak. I can not find any claims of weight limits here on Amazon, but the harp is 20 pounds and I don't feel safe placing it on the box.

I simply can't use this for my intended purpose at all. For the price I'll probably keep it and use it for something else, or maybe reinforce it somehow. But I am still very disappointed and feel misled. Like I said, I thought that if it could hold all of those bottles of wine it must be sturdy. Not true.
on November 26, 2012
I bought six of these boxes for under-crib storage since I couldn't find any other attractive under-bed storage options that weren't too high to slide underneath a crib. Since I wanted lids for my boxes and Amazon doesn't offer that option I placed a special order directly with the seller.

These are hand-crafted and put together with staples - no adhesives. They have a faint pine smell when new but that fades fairly quickly. The wood is semi-finished, so not completely rough and splintery but also not entirely smooth. If you want a totally smooth box you would have to sand it yourself or perhaps contact the seller with a special request. The boxes are hand-made and there is slight variation in exact size between them; I found that the lids were box-specific and in some cases have to be put on in a particular direction.

One other note: these are hand-crafted, presumably by a small/family business. My giant box of boxes arrived with a couple of critter stowaways (a spider and an ear wig). I'd recommend that you look into your boxes before hauling them out of their packaging.

For those planning to use these boxes for a similar application:

The wood's slight roughness makes it a little tricky to attach liners without using volatile (i.e. a health hazard under a baby's bed) glue. To be able to store linens and clothes in my boxes I ended up lining them using heavy-weight Canvas Liners; I used Glue Dots to attach the liner to the sides of the boxes. For lining the lid I used heavy weight Art Paper, also attached using glue dots. Finally, I put strips of Felt Tape along the long edges and each joint on the bottoms of the boxes to enable them to slide smoothly over hardwood floors. Three of these boxes fit neatly underneath a standard sized crib or toddler bed.
on June 11, 2012
This box was the perfect size for my media center, to keep movies, remote controls, etc. tidy...I gave it a red ink wash to match my decor, stenciled some numbers in white ink in the front, put some sliders in the bottom and covered the insides with some drawer lining. It was a great addition to my living room. Note that the hand holes had a bit of chipped wood, which can actually hurt your hands when carrying the box, but for this project that was not an issue.
on June 23, 2013
I purchased this wine box to use for a recent bridal shower.I needed a rustic-type base for holding two beverage dispensers.
It worked well. I used it on the backyard bar to elevate the beverage spouts while dispensing water and ice tea. It worked well for what I needed. However. the bottom isn't that sturdy but it certainly worked for intended purpose. Two large water dispensers can be quite heavy and the box sustained the wait. I hope this helps!
on October 14, 2014
These boxes are well made and there are so many options for them. I've ordered 3 different types so far and I love them all. If I could make them for their cost, I would but it's not possible because I do not have a saw to cut the wood or have the staple gun to assemble them. For me, these are a great buy and I will most likely order more for all the projects I have thought of so far! Shipping was great, I received them much earlier than the website estimates.
on February 23, 2012
Loved this box. Using it for baby photos for my photography business. It's big and sturdy without being too bulky.
on July 4, 2012
We have a small group of couples that gather each year for a summer vacation week. It is tradition that each one take their turn in hosting the event, which includes a theme and appropriate accoutrements. My choice this year was a selection of the five finest whiskeys of the world. But we were flying to our destination and I needed a way to transport the bottles and be able to graciously display them when we arrived. Packed generously with straw (think Easter basket) these crates made an excellent impression upon our guests. I would be nice if they had included tops for the crates, but for the low price I simply bought two and used boards from the second to enclose the top of the first.
on June 4, 2014
Great quality, nice And heavy, durable, smooth, much better than I expected. Would get it again if I need it
on May 28, 2015
Just finished staining it and it looks beautiful. Can't wait to get the clear finish on it. Although it is nice just the way it is.with no staining or clear coat.
on July 6, 2014
I used this wine box to organize the items on top of my beer fridge. I love that it keeps everything together and the handles make it easy to pull the box down off the fridge to reach the items inside.

See 1 answered question