Customer Discussions > Sleeping Dogs - Playstation 3 forum

On the fence about this game.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2012 5:15:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 5:17:53 AM PST
badguy says:
Ive looked through many reviews but none of them answered any of my questions about this game.

Like how big is the city compared to GTA 4 and SR3, is it bigger, smaller?

much more restrictive on where you can go or cant go like is there alot of invisble boundaries that'll stop you dead in your tracks.

about how long will it take to 100% the game if youre just running around doing nothing in particular most of the time? (I never believe official reviews when it comes to completion time since I usually finish games much faster than they do) so getting some playtimes would help a lot.

Can you swim?

how many enviromental take downs are there is it a lot or just like 5 or 6 that are slightly altered and not much different from other ones?

I played the demo so i already have a good idea of how the hand to hand and gun play on foot is going to be. But whats the gunplay like while driving is it clunky or annoying?

Are there many rail shooting sections or any at all? (an example would be, youre in a passenger side of the car and youre shooting enemies that are chasing you or something like that) I dont like those very much.

I think this is it, is the game littered with QTE's ? and if so how often do they appear?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 5:43:14 PM PST
Max says:
1. It's a little smaller than those games, because Hong Kong is very compact in real life, but much more vibrant and alive - there are street vendors and whole flea markets, as well as side missions aplenty.

2. No invisible boundaries like in gta - go where you want!

3. To do all the side missions and collectibles - i'd say 30ish hours.

4. Yes, you can swim and drive boats.

5. there are like 10 (not sure exactly), but they are all very distinct and awesome, you can even kill someone by slapping them repeatedly with a fish....

6. The gun-play while driving is good - you go into slow motion and blow up other cars basically. It's by no means clunky or annoying.

7. I think there are 2 or 3, no not too many.

8. As far as I remember, there are almost no qte's. When they do appear, they are necessary to the plot, and i'm not sure if you would even consider them qte's.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 1:22:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 5:56:46 PM PST
Art Lobster says:
>Like how big is the city compared to GTA 4 and SR3, is it bigger, smaller?
It's smaller than GTA4, basically it's broken up into 4 towns. Picture the size of Bohan in GTA4 and multiply it by 4, give or take. It's a little bigger than that since you have freeways and a couple of small areas in between towns, but generally it's pretty compact.

>much more restrictive on where you can go or cant go like is there alot of invisble boundaries that'll stop you dead in your tracks.
I didn't come across any invisible walls. The whole map is open from the start. The only thing is there are mountains in the middle of the map, and they're too steep to climb, but that's the only area as far as I know that's off limits. You'll be kept to city streets and alleys for the most part, no wide open country areas.

>about how long will it take to 100% the game if youre just running around doing nothing in particular most of the time?
I got 100% in 27 hours. But I was really rushing because I was so into it. Add a few more hours if you want to take your time and explore more.

>Can you swim?
Yes, but you can't go underwater. No diving. Just strictly surface swimming.

>how many enviromental take downs are there is it a lot or just like 5 or 6 that are slightly altered and not much different from other ones?
I didn't count, but maybe 12-15? You'll see a lot of common ones like dumpsters and phone booths, and some are limited to specific areas like smashing a guy through a fish tank that you only see a couple times.

>I played the demo so i already have a good idea of how the hand to hand and gun play on foot is going to be. But whats the gunplay like while driving is it clunky or annoying?
When driving you aim and it will go into slow motion when you shoot at another person or car. It makes targeting a specific part of the person or vehicle a lot easier that way. It didn't seem clunky to me.

>Are there many rail shooting sections or any at all? (an example would be, youre in a passenger side of the car and youre shooting enemies that are chasing you or something like that) I dont like those very much.
There are a few, I think maybe 3 or 4 max. They're pretty easy (game slows down when you shoot out a car's tires so you can take your time to also shoot the driver for more points), and the game has frequent checkpoints, so they're not frustrating.

>I think this is it, is the game littered with QTE's ? and if so how often do they appear?
Only QTEs are when a fat guy grabs you, you have to press a button to shake him off, or to roll out from under him as he stomps you. They're pretty minor and not invasive. It feels just like a part of combat, so I don't even know if you would even call those QTEs. Nothing pops up mid-cutscene or anything like that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sleeping Dogs - Playstation 3
Sleeping Dogs - Playstation 3 by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (340)