I can't seem to figure out how to take action shots. I've tried everything and they a always turn out blurry! Any suggestions??
asked by Karla L. Dumas on January 17, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
Blurry subjects in action shots (subject motion is recorded) is the result of insufficient shutter speed. Your camera's programming is more concerned with snapshot exposure settings. You will need to override that set of compromises. I know you didn't wanna hear that. But stick with me on this. You CAN do it... Looking down at the selector dial right next to the on/off button, rotate the selector to "Tv". That's gonna give you "Time Value" automation, more correctly named "Shutter Speed Priority". You will select a shutter speed sufficiently short in duration so the kids arms and legs are stopped by the camera. Shutter speeds of about 1/1,000 of a second is sufficiently short to almost completely stop the rotor blades of helicopters. Depending on your subject's relative speed of motion, you may only need speeds like 1/500 or 1/250 of a second (shutter open for twice as long, or four times as long as 1/1,000). Try a few of these settings and check your results, and then decide. Next, point the camera at something lit up as your football game (my guess) will be, but before the action starts. Push the shutter button down HALF WAY. That's the "preview", with exposure info presented. The image on screen will darken somewhat, and the camera's choice of lens opening (aperature) will be displayed along the bottom of the screen. The largest lens opening is "f 3.4" and all the rest of them have larger numbers. With f-stops, bigger opening = smaller numbers, smaller opening = bigger numbers. The actual lens opening used will determine your "depth of field" or the range of distances on either side (closer to and farther away from the camera) of your subject which will be in sharp focus. You will most likely want a little extra range of distances in focus, so you'll need the smaller lens openings (bigger numerical values) available. Or, if you'd like to use "selective focus" you may wish to use a larger opening (smaller numbers). You gotta decide that for yourself, Ma'am. In either case, you control the shutter speed in Tv by rotating the ring around the "Function Set" control the the BACK OF THE CAMERA. And you control the exposure of the shot (and the depth of field) kinda indirectly by choosing different ISO values. That's what used to be called your film speed. Once you get it in Tv, turned on, and have tested the scene's illumination level, and therefore, have seen the camera's choice of aperatures, you respond by selecting your ISO value. Faster film speeds take less light to get a decent exposure, but they also produce "grainy" pictures. Digital cameras can get pretty grainy results, too, I'm afraid. But something's gotta give, here. I mean, if you can't add more light on the scene (like I can in a studio setting) you'll have to make a compromise somewhere in your decision.

So... to review. Tv mode, power ON, shutter button down halfway, read the lens opening, make a quick decision about ISO setting based on what you find. Push the ISO (top of the Function Set control) and then rotate the ring around outside of that same control to change the value. The choice at the bottom might be more convenient for you: AUTO. Me? I'd rather have complete control over everything. It just slows me down to first figure out what the computer will likely think of, and then come up with a workable plan to defeat the computer to get the result I want. But you might be more comfy with Tv mode and use the camera's computer to fine-tune the exposure after you've set the ground rules.

And, please, write back if I didn't 'splain it right. I'll try to help anyway I can. I LOVE taking good photos..! o(*_*)o
Joe Jakusz answered on January 18, 2013
Comments (4) | 30 of 30 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The sx500 is not really designed for action shots. I beleive the continuos shooting speed is only .8 fps which is extremely slow. That less than a second! In order to freeze action, I would place the camera mode to shutter priority (Tv), adjust/increase the shutter speed using the dial and give it a try. As long as you got plenty of day light, you should be able to adjust the shutter speed in Tv mode to freeze shots. But as for continuously shooting, with .8 fps its going to be tough. Also increasing the ISO's will help too but this camera doesn't handle ISO noise very well.
D. Black answered on January 17, 2013
Comment | 11 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The Camara is very slow, so the way I get action shots is to preplan. If I know where the action is going to be I focus on a spot and wait for the object to come into view...then I can catch a shot....the shutter speed needs to be set at a fast speed. This camera is not the best for action shots...I do not use it for that.
Country Girl answered on February 24, 2013
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi Karla, I have not had time to play with it that much. Try using the continuous shooting speed (Tv) and see if it helps.
Amazon Customer answered on January 18, 2013
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I sent my back because it did not take continuous action shots.
Deanna F. Pierpont answered on January 17, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Increase the shutter speed would be my best advice
NerdyBookReader answered on January 17, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Karla I have not tried the action shots yet. I was hoping to be able to do this as well, since it was stated that it will take action shots! My friend told me to do the same thing that D. Black suggested. Give it a try and let us know what happens! Happy Shooting!
Lynette Barclay answered on January 17, 2013
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I will answer as soon as possible. I am still waiting for my filters and adapters and LCD covers before I take my camera anywhere to take any photos. I just want to be safe. I scratched the lens and LCD on my last camera when I fell down, so I am trying to be extra careful. I will keep this email so I can remember to answer your question. Have you tried manual though? Going to the highest ISO would probably help with that.
Lisha Marie answered on January 17, 2013
Comment | 1 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product