Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2009 1:29:56 PM PST
Hiya says:
I live in a small apartment and we don't have a dining area. So, we eat with snack trays while sitting on the couch...and of course the TV's on. I find that if the TV's on, I don't realize how much I'm eating and 9 times out of 10 am still hungry when I'm done. I wonder if it has something to do with your brain focusing on the TV and not on what's going in your stomach? What do you guys think?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2009 4:19:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2009 4:21:56 PM PST
Hunk Golden says:
I do. Any distraction (tv, music, etc...) distracts me (no pun) from the task at hand (eating). You end up eating more than you need to eat and slowly (or maybe not-so-slowly) gain body fat. Restaurants play music for this exact reason, to distract you...make you hurry. You'll end up buying more and eating more, helping their bottom line.

I was overweight (one of the many times in my life) back in the summer of '01. I spent the summer with cousins in Seattle who were thin, active, & attractive. The main two tips I picked up (& was pushed into, since I was living with her family and spending the day with her) from one of my cousins were to eat more slowly and to work out daily (and push yourself when you work out). I lost 35 pounds in 5 weeks. Granted, they also ate healthier (whole/clean meal) food, but there was plenty of indulgence. She just kept reminding me to slow down when I ate, and pushed me harder than I wanted to push when I worked out. The body fat melted off. I kept the habits when I came home. I ordered a baked potato instead of fries, a water instead of a soda. I kept losing.

It wasn't long, however, before I picked up my bad habits again. That's the thing about people who have to work to be thin (lets face it, some "naturally thin" people oxidize/metabolize food more slowly & efficiently, and couldn't gain weight if they tried), YOU HAVE TO KEEP AT IT. It's almost like being an alcoholic, except alcoholics don't HAVE to drink....everyone HAS to eat. If you change your habits and lose weight, you have to remember that those bad habits (for me, it's things like drinking soda, drinking too much Starbucks, not eating clean/whole food, not exercising) are always there, just waiting to take over your life again. The only way to beat it is to stay on top of it, keep reading the book, listening to the cd, whatever. It's sooo easy to, if you let up for a bit, pick up those bad habits again.

It's difficult in America to follow the "eating slowly/consciously" rule, but YOU HAVE TO DO IT. It's like exercise, YOU HAVE TO DO IT. These type of programs (Paul McKenna's, Marisa Peer's "You Can Be Thin," Judith Beck's "The Beck Diet Solution") all work very well, but you have to do the work. You have to be conscious. It helps to make good choices (although McKenna instructs you to eat whatever you want to eat). Most importantly, you have to stick with it. Just keep it up, one day at a time. If you mess up once or twice, no biggie. But you can't completely fall off the wagon for days at a time. If you do, you'll be back doing what you used to do in short order.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009 2:43:36 PM PST
Hiya says:
Totally agree! It's so incredibly easy to have a stressful day or be in a hurry and just gulp down whatever's convenient. For instance, I have 5 mins until I leave for class and I just woofed down half a can of cashews. Not good. BUT - I'll remember next meal. Not going to give up. Life's too short, you know?

Posted on Feb 17, 2009 10:08:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2009 1:17:36 PM PST
jerseygirl says:
Well there seems to be alot of skeptics out there about this diet. My opinion is that he wants you to eat what you want, but on the cd he states to eat specifically whole natural meals. I believe this is so you won't feel compelled to binge if you are told not to eat certain foods. Lets face it, we are all adults and know what to eat. Just stop eating when full of anything..it is so simple it is embarrassing we have to be reminded. But if you are really aware of what you are doing at meal times, you will catch yourself eating too fast, not thinking about eating, dreaming, watching tv, etc. It's so true. Just started the plan...will post again with results. I really needed to read this book because somehow I knew too I had to get back to the basics. What does it like to feel pleasantly full and hungry. I needed to appreciate the fact that there is always enough food that I don't need to overeat, no matter what happens. It's about getting back to primal needs and being attuned to them. Good luck. Really practice and I do think anyone will see results.

Posted on Mar 2, 2009 11:29:05 PM PST
Tonibets says:
Re: the topic. Paul McKenna did an experiment on his t.v. show where he had some people eat a typical American breakfast of eggs, hash browns, bacon/sausage type thing and most people polished off whatever was on their plates. He invited them back the next morning for the same breakfast but this time, he had them blindfolded and no one was able to finish because they felt full halfway through their breakfast. So apparently focusing just on eating does make a difference.

Posted on Mar 3, 2009 12:40:12 PM PST
Bearwife says:
Interesting question for me. My husband and I fell into the habit of eating everything in front of the TV. I consciously broke that habit when I read this book -- and have actually enticed my husband to come eat with me at our dining room table a couple of times. This past weekend I felt tired, flopped into my TV chair, and ate in front of the TV again . . . and overate! Both Sat. and Sunday night! It was healthy stuff, but way too much of it. That was a real ah hah experience for me -- it makes a huge difference to how much I eat as to whether I do it mindfully. Which means, no TV, no books, no computer when eating. This does not take much time from my day, makes me really, really appreciate my food, and keeps intake to sensible levels.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2010 5:57:06 PM PDT
calc chick says:
I'm the same. TV watching and eating completely goes together - if i'm watching a show i like i'll go get food, if i'm about to eat, i'll put the tv or hulu on so i have something to watch. My boyfriend is the same too, everytime he eats, the tv goes on.

My boyfirend and i wnet to the movies and we got teh bucket of popcorn that looks like you should be feeding horses out of it. I commented that we'd never get thru it and would have to take some home with us. However, we were so focusing on the movie, that in less than 1/2 hour, it was all gone! We were both stunned!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2009
Latest post:  May 2, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
I CAN MAKE YOU THIN (BOOK AND CD)
I CAN MAKE YOU THIN (BOOK AND CD) by Paul McKenna (Paperback - 2005)
4.1 out of 5 stars (506)