How fine a grind do you find that works best? How fine a grind do you find that works best? (Didn't MEAN to rhyme... :) )
asked by K. Lind on May 23, 2006
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 59 answers
A
I just bought a Keurig B40 and the My K-Cup this week. I've had iffy success with the K-cups making a good strong cup of coffee unless I put it on the small cup setting, which at $.40/small cup is alot of money.

Anyhow, I've had great success with the My K-Cup! I have my own burr coffee grinder, with which I make a fairly fine grind of the beans - between cone drip and espresso. The grind is almost powdery, but not quite. Then I fill the filter basket to the top of the mesh lining and tap it on the counter a few times to make sure there are no air pockets. I then fill it up a bit more so the coffee is to the top of the mesh, but not quite touching the plastic rim of the basket. After that, I put the basket in the filter holder, screw on the top (ignoring the few grinds peeking at me from the top hole) and make a large (9.25oz) cup of coffee. It's perfect!
JC answered on March 9, 2008
Comment | 40 of 41 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I use a relatively normal grind (perhaps a bit smaller than the usual grind of store-bought). I find the secret is to tamp down the coffee prior to use. Compacting it in means the water won't run through as fast. I've had good success with this method.
Longsworth answered on January 27, 2007
Comment | 39 of 40 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I work at starbucks and so I get a free pound of joe a week... obviously buying the k cups would be silly.
Anyway I found that when I grind my beans to the starbucks "metal filter" setting it works the best... this would be slightly finer than a french press grind. A good visual would be a texture a bit finer than kosher Salt.

Using 2 tablespoons (or a little more in my case,) the resulting cup of coffee is bold, free of grounds, and has a lovely almost espresso-like crema at the top and minimal sludge at the bottom. I hate drip cofee because it's far to bitter and most of the volatile oils from the coffee are lost in the process. Another good way to keep the flavor of the coffee is by putting your condiments at the bottom of the cup so the flavor gets locked in as soon as possible. Remember... the longer you let coffee sit, the more of those precious volatile oils are lost. adding the milk or sugar while it's brewing will slow down that process. Enjoy!
Ashleigh Lippman answered on September 5, 2008
Comments (4) | 49 of 53 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Just use a grind that is about half way between espresso grind and drip grind, and fill the cup up to about 1/4 of an inch below the top, this will give the best coffee.
Phil Miltenberger answered on January 5, 2007
Comment | 36 of 38 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've had my Keurig and My K-Cup for a few years now and usually used the pre-bought k-cups. Recently, I've bought a french press and a conical burr grinder and have gotten use to a REALLY good, strong, quality cup of coffee.

Last night I decided to try the My K-Cup again and had great results. I took an already used k-cup and opened the top to take a look at how fine the grinds are. I then tried using a medium-fine grind setting and ended up with a similar consistency. So far I have made two cups, they have turned out much stronger than the regular k-cups and even have a bit of sludge at the bottom! I'm very impressed and will no longer be buying pre made k-cups.

I think it's important to use whole beans and grind moments before brewing with a quality grinder.

FYI, I'm using the Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder.

Hope this helps....
B. Peltz answered on February 9, 2009
Comment | 14 of 16 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am not a coffee expert but LOVE my coffee. I did a 4 cup experiment. :)

1)There was an above post from a Starbucks employee that used coffee ground with the Starbucks metal filter setting (which I found out is for a flat filter aka more course). I experimented with this grind and a "cone filter" grind (which is finer)
2) I also looked at the above poster's link on "how to make stronger coffee" and made my "own little cup" for my filter. Here is the link again...http://www.amazon.com/review/R19X6F9WT8XNNR/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
3) I used Starbucks Breakfast Blend which is mild. Probably use a Bolder coffee in the future.

So I made 4 cups:
Metal/Flat Filter "course" grind with no homemade cup = very weak coffee
Metal/Flat Filter "course" grind with homemade cup = stronger but still too weak for me
Cone Filter "fine" grind with no homemade cup = stronger and tolerable but still not quite right
Cone Filter "fine" grind with homemade cup = perfect!

With the homemade cup, I'm not sure if it is hard on the machine...brewing is slower (which was the point) but I don't want to destroy my machine so I punched a second hole through the cup. Packing the coffee down seems to help for stronger coffee as well.

My conclusion? I am going to use a darker roast, probably no homemade cup (just because I'd hate to wreck my machine) and pack the coffee into the filter more. :)
L. Cameron answered on March 9, 2010
Comment | 13 of 15 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I was also getting weak coffee from the My K-cup so I devised a little trick. Take a used k-cup and cut the top off around the collar and remove the filter. Now slide the cup over the My K-cup filter and use like normal. It forces the coffee to travel through the puncture hole on the bottom just like a regular K-cup which slows down the brewing process and produces much better coffee. I found it works like a champ. Hope this helps with the weak coffee problem.
K. Graves answered on March 7, 2012
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Looks like awhile since someone posted to this, but I'll try to renew it. Using regular K-Cups we get perfectly strong coffee, but using the My K Cup the coffee is much weaker. As someone mentioned in the product review, I think it's because the water moves so quickly through the My K Cup.

We've tried both larger grounds, and medium from the grocery store and Starbucks, and neither improved the weakness. Hoping to try more soon, but wondered if anyone else had suggestions?
Michael Rosenthall answered on November 27, 2006
Comments (4) | 16 of 21 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
We've had our Breville for over a year now and have used the My K-Cup since day one. We've loved making coffee each to our specific tastes. Recently though, our filter has been clogging up so that little water gets through. We've been soaking the filter in vinegar and scrubbing it to clear the tiny holes but it looks like we need to buy a new one, which is a shame because otherwise the filter is in perfect condition. We mention this because it seems the small grind we used contributed to this problem. Re-reading the instructions we noticed the spec for the grind is around medium, avoiding espresso grind (which, of course, is what we used). Just fyi.
Gar answered on March 23, 2009
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've had my Keurig and My K-Cup for a few years now and usually used the pre-bought k-cups. Recently, I've bought a french press and a conical burr grinder and have gotten use to a REALLY good, strong, quality cup of coffee.

Last night I decided to try the My K-Cup again and had great results. I took an already used k-cup and opened the top to take a look at how fine the grinds are. I then tried using a medium-fine grind setting and ended up with a similar consistency. So far I have made two cups, they have turned out much stronger than the regular k-cups and even have a bit of sludge at the bottom! I'm very impressed and will no longer be buying pre made k-cups.

I think it's important to use whole beans and grind moments before brewing with a quality grinder.

FYI, I'm using the Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder.

Hope this helps....

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I was accidentally in my wifes account.
WholeBean answered on February 9, 2009
Comment | 7 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next ›

See all questions about this product