Customer Discussions > The Hunger Games (Book 1) forum

Help me! I've finished the trilogy and need something to read!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2013 10:15:06 PM PDT
Jezebel says:
I was initially repulsed by the idea of The Hunger Games, and for reasons I won't enumerate, I ended up friggin' hooked and read every book in the series (except Mockingjay, which I guarantee you will be finished very soon). Can anyone recommend something comparable?

I am an adult -- um, far from a teenager -- but I tend to like books written for teens because I think they tend to be truer emotionally. So I want something suspenseful, a page turner as they say, but something that is also emotionally moving because of the relationships formed. I was particularly touched by Katniss's love for her sister; by Peeta's kindness in giving Katniss the burnt bread years ago; by Katniss's and Gale's bond. I identified with Katniss's rebelliousness against the Capitol. I am a sucker for softness shown by any character who is supposed to be "the bad guy".

Is there anything out there that you think I might like? I rarely read -- TV is my thing -- and reading made me realize just how much I hate TV. So.... Gosh, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on Jun 8, 2013 5:31:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2013 5:32:42 AM PDT
Welcome to the club of adults who devoured this book and the trilogy. I am obsessed about this book too (age 58), my brother is 68 and our mother 88, all 3 of us, big fans. Not to forget my daughters, in their 20s, my niece (8th grader), all of us, hg fans. I've personally only come across 1 non-fan who could not get into the book(s), she's a Twilight fan and I know she kept comparing the two. Which I believe ruined it for her enjoyment. Anyway, I'm always a sucker for an underdog and good vs evil storylines. To people who are interested in the books or movie, but haven't read or watched it yet, I try to sum up why I love this book/movie - this is my new Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lost all rolled into awesome story. As soon as I say this to future fans, they seem to get it. In fact, I think the subplots and hints along the way as to what the true message of what the hunger games is all about, is lost on it's target audience, they need someone to point out specific scenes and why this or that quote was placed there. Then they seem to "get it" but not right away. Oh how I love The Hunger Games! I read the first book 2 years ago and all 3 in 8 days, have read them countless times since. Watched the movie nearly 20 times by now. Yes I have it that bad, lol.

Okay, you asked for book recommendations, I have two:

Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth, third and final book to this trilogy titled Allegiant will be released October 22, 2013. They are making a film for the first book right now. Is it as good as The Hunger Games? Many reviewers on Divergent's page here say that but I still prefer The Hunger Games. If anything, you can tell Roth was a devoted The Hunger Games' fan, it's not a copy of Collins' creation, far from it, but there are enough similarities for comparisons, which I didn't mind.

The other rec, is YA but with a Sci-fi storyline, The 5th Wave, by Rick Yancey. Great read, couldn't put it down. Loved the characters. Several POV's, so if you know that going in, you won't be confused like I was at first.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2013 4:49:51 PM PDT
kittt says:
I think you would like the series I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore. It's also a YA series so it reads quickly, but it also has a good, developed story to it. They did make a movie of the first book which I was disappointed in, but the books are always better! I'm also not a YA, but I have a 12 year old that enjoyed both this and The Hunger Games series and then I read both series myself and was impressed!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2013 6:18:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2013 6:23:59 PM PDT
Kittt - thanks I'll look into that book series.

I re-read my above response and cannot recommend the Divergent series in all good conscience now. There are 3 books in this trilogy, author is Veronica Roth (young, up and coming author): Divergent, Insurgent and Allegiant. She just released Allegiant days ago and absolutely ruined the story/trilogy for evermore. So many of her fans are livid she took a stark and different direction with her final book. There's a huge spoiler with it too but the info is all over the internet now, she kills off the main character. Just imagine Harry Potter w/o Harry. Or The Hunger Games w/o Katniss.

So sorry to say, but skip Divergent. It's not worth your time, IMHO.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2013 9:50:50 AM PST
My name is James M. Corkill, and I'm the author of Dead Energy, an action adventure sci-fi novel along the same general genre as Encrypted, but with no religious themes or backstory. I'm a retired Federal Firefighter from Washington State, USA, and now I'm writing full time. So far I've received six five star reviews on Amazon and purchases are increasing, but I'm just now getting noticed. I was wondering if you might like to read my novel as well. You can download a free copy of my novel from my website if you would be interested in reading and reviewing my stories. Please contact me at, jcorkman1@gmail.com , or you might want to see a sample of Dead Energy and a sample of my upcoming novel as well. You can read my background and my stories on my website at, http://jamescorkill.com/
Thanks for your consideration, Sincerely, James M. Corkill.

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 10:27:27 AM PST
YA reader says:
I just finished reading both "Divergent" and "Darker than an Angel" and can say that I enjoyed the latter more, but both may be of interest to you. "Divergent" is written by Veronica Roth and "Darker than an Angel" by Tyler Boundy. Maybe give both of them a shot. Both are sci-fi books in their own way. If you enjoyed HG, I am sure "Divergent" and "Darker than an Angel" will give you something to read. Both are the first books of a series. "Divergent" is book 1 of 3 and "Darker than an Angel" is book 1 of 5. Hope it helps!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  May 31, 2013
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Hunger Games (Book 1)
The Hunger Games (Book 1) by Suzanne Collins (Paperback - July 3, 2010)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (23,080)