My first purchase of this kind - buying DVD plus Digital Copy .. Question on Digital

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 12, 2012 9:41:37 PM PDT
Patti Pos says:
Bought Snow White and the Huntsman (Two-Disc Combo Pack: Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet) and The Hunger Games [2-Disc Blu-ray + Ultra-Violet Digital Copy] in the same order..

The Hunger Games [2-Disc Blu-ray + Ultra-Violet Digital Copy] showed up immediately in my downloads that I can watch on a registered device..

Snow White did not and I was told by Amazon help via chat that it comes with the DVD for me to put on my computer.. umm my DVD can do that I think? but I no expert...

.. can someone help me understand the difference between these two items and why one digital copy is available in my digital library on here, and why one is not?

Thanks for any feedback you can give me to help me understand!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 1:32:11 PM PDT
Doug Waltz says:
Hey
First of all, your question has spawned many debates, so don't feel bad. Basically the difference is with Ultraviolet you don't actually posses a digital copy (file on your computer) of the movie as you do with iTunes. You own a license to the movie. Meaning your name is stored on the Ultraviolet vender site (Flixster, etc) so when you log on, you have access any movies you've entered codes for. With iTunes or other Digital Copy formats (Windows Media Player, etc) you download a copy of the movie to your hard drive. Pro being you can watch the movie without internet access, Con being it takes up space.

Now, here's where it gets tricky. Ultraviolet also lets you download their movies to your PC but only in the Ultravoilet format (not the iTunes/Quicktime .m4v format that people are used to). This means you'd still need to use an Ultraviolet player (either from the website or you can download one from Flixster or any UV friendly site). Once you download the UV copy, it becomes like any iTunes movies, song or app. It resides on your PC, but you must use a UV player to watch it. The main problem people like me have with this new format is, if you already have a big iTunes library, you need to download (and pay for) Ultraviolet copies of your existing movies if you want to just use ONE player.

What i do, is use iTunes for my main method of watching/listening to files (movies, songs, etc) but when UV is offered on a blu-ray for no extra charge, i redeem the code as an alternate way to watch if i'm ever on the road and don't have my laptop with me. This is UV's big selling point. You can watch any movies in your "collection" on an iPad, iPhone, Android tablet, anything that UV supports without having an actual copy of the film. This is called "streaming" and (imo) the jury is still out on what's preferable. Yes, UV is more portable but if there's a connection problem or a problem on the website, you're out of luck. I've had a couple occasions where i got a message "UV network is unavailable, please try again later". So until the bugs are ironed out or the industry picks a standard, i'll keep having 2 copies of the movies i want. Sorry for rambling, let me know if it's still unclear. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 6:14:01 PM PDT
Anakasha says:
Don't know if you've figure this out yet, but in case you haven't. If you only have Ultraviolet available to you which I think is the case with Hunger Games you have to use the UV player/site to watch your movie. For Snow White there is a digital copy that you can download to your computer and it can live there in your iTunes, Microsoft what ever player you use.
Once you have inserted the disc you download the movie and you pretty much never need the disc again.
The downside of this, which I recently found out, is if your computer crashes and you don't have your movies backed up you lose your film. I tried reinserting the disc from an older movie and the redemption code had expired. Luckily I had all of it backed up, I just wanted everything I was reinstalling to be clean copies.
The upside of this is if you have an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, iWhatever, and you use the iCloud you can download this item to any of those devices whenever you have an internet connection and they can live there too, or you can always use the cable to sync.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 4:56:40 PM PST
Bourne1886 says:
" The main problem people like me have with this new format is, if you already have a big iTunes library, you need to download (and pay for) Ultraviolet copies of your existing movies if you want to just use ONE player."

No you don't you can watch them on various platforms and they are free. Plus you can download the UV films to your portable device and watch them off line. You don't need to stream them. Even if the Internet is down etc I can still watch them on my iPad as they are stored on there!

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 6:20:37 PM PDT
d0ont bothner with it do as I do chuck the piece of paper away]
why do I want a copy on my phone or tablet etc

what I do like is at least in usa most combos come with dvd and blu ray in uk we rarely get the dvd

so I now bnuy from usa when its combos to gwt dvd and blu ray

the digital stuff goes in trhe bin along with slip covers my other hate

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 9:48:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2013 9:55:14 PM PST
AllSet says:
Ok, Amazon.com is offering a pre-order of DVD, PLUS ultra violet digital copy of the new "Hunger Games: Catching Fire" movie coming out next year. Is the supplied DVD a standard DVD like what we are all used to, or is there some trickery and tom foolery you have to go through before you can play the DVD, licensing, go to a web site to validate it, etc. etc.? OR, can I just insert the disc in my DVD player and play it like I have been doing all these years? I am always very suspicious when the RIAA and the MPAA say they are here to help and make things better for us all. I didn't buy a 50" TV to watch movies on a 15" laptop screen, or something smaller
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Sep 12, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Snow White & the Huntsman - Extended Edition (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet)
Snow White & the Huntsman - Extended Edition (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet) by Kristen Stewart (Blu-ray - 2012)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (2,638)