5.0 out of 5 stars The next-best thing to a deep tissue massage!
I recently came across a book that suggested using Self Myofascial Release (SMR) foam rollers to help stretch and reduce muscle ache/tension. I tried out a foam roller and used it for about half an hour going over my whole body, inch by inch. Wow! Amazing!

Published on February 19, 2006 by Michael

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like what the picture is showing!
I was shocked to see that the actual roller product is made from very poor quality foam! There is a lot of "foam dust" everywhere on the roller and the foam fibre break down easily.

The actual product is nothing like what was shown in the picture. How deceptive marketing and unethical. This is not the high quality EVA foam like those of swimming buoy or other...
Published 14 months ago by Xu

5.0 out of 5 stars The next-best thing to a deep tissue massage!, February 19, 2006
Michael (Highlands Ranch, CO, United States) - See all my reviews

The Good: Results are great, as it works deep into your muscles. Easy to use on your own. Can reach most parts of your body without too much effort.

The Bad: Users have to "work" at rolling over the item, a procedure that may discourage some. Item firmness determines how deeply it can work into you. Your better off getting the largest roller available (currently 6" x 36"). I tried the 6" x 18" size, and while it worked adequately-I found myself wanting the roller to cover just a little more area.

The Verdict: Though you definately have to put a little work into moving your body over the roller, the results are spectacular. You may determine how much the roller works into the tissue by controlling how much body weight you put on it. I just can't recommend this item enough... though choose your firmness wisely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and quite versatile - also good for some yoga, February 6, 2007
AeroMan "AeroMan" (Nashua, NH United States) - See all my reviews
I am very pleased with this roller. As a massage aid, which is what I bought it for, it's great. It is also firm enough that I can use it for some balance exercises (which would be difficult if it were softer). Although some have complained that it is too hard for massage on some body spots, you can lessen the impact of the hardness by positioning/supporting your body properly. It also appears to be well made, so i would expect it to last for quite a while.

EDIT- two and a half years later- I am still using this thing and it has held up beautifully. In addition to the massage I do (back and ITB), I am now using it as a yoga bolster, and it's working out great! This was a very good investment

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for rehab, workouts, February 17, 2006
A. R. Khan (Urbana, IL US) - See all my reviews
The foam is supposed to be hard; it's very good at relieving tension in your back muscles when you roll on it. It's already done wonders for the knots in my back. Also, if you're into pilates, this works out great. I bought it mostly for my back pain. The sensation that you feel when you roll out on it is supposed to be uncomfortable and a little painful, but after using it daily, it will help your muscles in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get ready to cry, December 30, 2010
I was introduced to this in my basic training for the Marines. It looks stupid, hell it is stupid, but it WORKS!! I do half ironman training and this is an absolute must!! every night before bed i use this like a workout. 3 sets of 10 full rubs per body part (shins, calves, etc etc, even my back!!) Don't know why I do it that way? Give this a try and you'll find out that your tear ducts just can't hold on too much longer than that haha. it's like a free deep tissue massage every day and it leaves you feeling GREAT!! Really improved my recovery time and I haven't had an injury since using it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Foam roller does the job, March 21, 2008
Spunky (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This foam roller is the proper density for breaking up fascia and adhesions in large muscle groups. The fabric covering the foam is attractive and sturdy, and should stand up to long and hard (proper) use. The cover also provides an appropriate amount of traction to prevent slipping off the roller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, May 14, 2010
I am 177cm and 104kgs, this is a very firm piece and support my weight easily!

I use it twice a day pre and post workout. I actually have herniated disc in my lumber area (l4-L5)and this one helps me with the stiffness I get in the morning.

Compared to the blue one, I find this one to be more heavy-duty (although they say they are the same! not to me I guess)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, November 19, 2010
This is an absolute perfect device. I am a new cyclist and my thighs kill me. I'm also old enough to have a tight back that locks up. This device simply gets both. My back joints pop every first roll on them.

There is a quick instruction sheet showing you the moves. It does take a while to find the best way to easily roll your thighs and back but once you do it's cheaper than a massage and almost as good. I strongly recommend this device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this!, August 12, 2010
I have shoulder impingement and all throughout my physical therapy, they would have me lay on one of these for about 5 minutes. I could only ever find 18" rolls, which fits from my shoulders to right above my butt. My neck would drop off and my hips weren't on it, so it was not comfortable at all and I could lay on it for about 2 minutes max before my neck hurt. This 36" roll is amazing. I can lay on it for however long I need. I also use it to stretch my IT band after running. One fantastic roll.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, not too hard, April 4, 2010
Christina (New Haven, CT) - See all my reviews
Great for massaging sore muscles! Since I have a slender build, I was worried about the reviews that said this roller is too hard. I didn't find it too hard at all - only slightly more dense than the standard white foam rollers and of better quality. I will use this regularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Saved The Day!, August 2, 2010
I had been suffering from an IT band injury (a common running injury) for months and tried all of the common remedies (rest, icing, extensive stretching, etc.) and wasn't making much progress in terms of the pain I experienced when I ran. Once I incorporated this roller (as recommended by doctor friends and runners) in to my stretching and icing routine, I immediately began to see progress with the healing of my injury. The foam is supportive but firm enough to really "dig" deep in to those muscles. Highly recommend from a person with a nagging IT band injury.

j/fit High Density EVA Roller