Is the top neck flexible enough to make a a 90-degree angle? I have a Sony Bloggie that essentially has the screw mount on the side, not the bottom.
asked by Bruce W. Clary on October 2, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 answers
A
votes
Here is another angle:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/heyjowee/IMAG0170-1.jpg
J. Phan answered on October 3, 2012

A
vote
Yes you can. Just have to manipulate the legs to "hug" outside. After playing with it for over a year, I still learn and figure out different ways to use it.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/heyjowee/?action=view¤t=IMAG0168-1-1.jpg
Virginia Le answered on October 3, 2012

A
votes
Yes, it can, more like a 80 degree
Rick answered on October 3, 2012

A
votes
i do not believe it is that flexible and if you are trying to use as a tripod, it would probably fall over. i was not impressed with my gorillapod and it was very flimsy before it broke to pieces. a friend had similar issues with it falling apart. i have been very happy with my Pedco UltraPod II. check it out and see if it is what you are looking for.
Donald Graham answered on October 3, 2012

A
votes
I think so!
Kimberly Wolfe answered on October 3, 2012

A
votes
Bruce, as Rick says you can only get a bit less than 90 degrees at the neck, but if you bend the next few joints down you can achieve a right angle. I do that when I want to shoot something with a portrait orientation. Donald's point about stability is right on as well: I always keep a hand on the tripod no matter what, and the best use of it is for clamping the camera to a fence or branch or something, not as a traditional tripod.
Weldon Berger answered on October 3, 2012

A
votes
Yes, it can. I can't test it on any of my cameras because their tripod mounts are all on the bottom.
Edward H. answered on October 3, 2012

A
votes
The Joby is very flexible and I feel it will more than likely bend to accomodate a side mount. I have wrapped it around a sign post and it worked very well.
B. Zerangue answered on October 3, 2012

A
votes
yes, but you may have clearance issues from the three legs if it isn't at the very bottom of the camera and you'll need to tinker with the legs to get it at a perfect 90 degrees. I'll say that it's best to select an angle for the mount head and leave it there vs. moving it and instead moving the legs to adjust if possible. The friction lessons it seems with each adjustment and eventually the head will just wobble around with no tension screw to tighten it like a traditional tripod.
Doug Martin answered on October 3, 2012

A
votes
If you use it as a stand, it won't make a perfect 90 degree angle, and the weight of the camera will cause it to tip over. However, you can attach it to a pole or something to accommodate the side mount.
Amazon Customer answered on October 3, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›