Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2006 8:52:09 AM PST
ldl says:
My 14yo loves historical fiction esp this time period. Is there graphic sexual content? thanks -lisa

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2007 5:48:18 PM PDT
JGC says:
It's been over a year since I read this, with many books read since then, so if my reply is inaccurate I hope that someone will correct me. In general, yes, I think a mature 14 year old could read this. There are scenes clearly about sex, but I don't recall them being graphic. However, it's a book about a woman who has an affair with a married man - and the affair lasts for decades and produces numerous children. But, the relationship is one based on true love, and in any other time period they'd have been happily married to each other instead of married to others while in love with each other. So, in general I guess it will depend on your moral standpoint on the issue of infidelity.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2007 9:08:14 AM PDT
K. Bender says:
I aggree. It depends on your teen. It's a great book about people who actually lived (which generally interests most teens and gets them some added interest in history) I don't really recall any graphic sex scenes it was more innuendo. I read it when I was 15 so I say yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2007 3:01:41 PM PDT
I read this book in 1972 when I was 16 years old. It is my favorite book of all time. I laughingly tell my husband to bury a copy of "Katherine" with me when I die.

Years later I met a woman who was getting her Phd in Medieval History. When I asked her why she chose that major, she said she had read a book called "Katherine" when she was a teenager.
There are very few "sex" scenes, and the two or three I remember are mostly how Katherine "feels" after her first coupling, rather than giving any kind of descriptions. The scenes with John are very romantic and tender in nature. Beautifully written.
Being that 14 year olds are probably more savy about sex than we were 35 years ago, I would say that it would be fairly safe to let her read it.
Later on in the book, Katherine discovers a new found spirituality from a woman called Julian. She actually did live, and was a spiritual guide. I think there is a book or books on her spiritual teachings.
As with all books that my daughter reads, I always tell her to come to me if she does not understand something in a book.
If your daughter is a "romantic" she may very well love this book too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009 8:55:59 PM PST
S. McGee says:
I would say it's fine. I read it when I was 10 or 11, and I wasn't that precocious a child. There are one or two 'sex' scenes, but it's far from graphic, IMO. (I certainly didn't learn anything from it.)
The only caveat would be is if your values absolutely rule out any kind of adulterous relationship -- even in this kind of historical setting. (Although you could argue that Katherine is punished/punishes herself in the final third of the book.)
Indeed, I would say this book helped make me a kind of romantic. I wanted a romantic relationship as a teenager, no question of settling for anything less -- and the affair between Katherine & John is romantic, at its core. They are together because they are in love, and that commitment does ultimately end in marriage (just much later).
I have just looked at the dates and realized, laughing, that this response is pretty academic, but maybe it will help someone else down the road.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2006
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Katherine
Katherine by Anya Seton (Hardcover - 1985)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (613)