Customer Discussions > Television forum

Best 55'-60" TV for the money?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 15, 2012 6:31:16 PM PDT
jsv says:
Looking for some recommendations...Looking to upgrade my current HDTV with either a 55" or 60" set. I've been a loyal Sony customer for over 10 years but will also consider a Samsung. I don't really care about 3D. if it happens to be included great, but not a must have for me by any means. I'm more interested in getting the best picture quality for the price, definitely below $2,000. I'm also wanting to stick with LCD over plasma and I'm impressed with what I've seen with the LED sets. Sadly, Sony doesnt make a 60" set that I could find, they jump from 55" to 65", 65 would be overkill in my room.

Any ideas? Thanks

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 8:41:37 PM PDT
John says:
Well I'll tell you one thing I have never been big on name brands because your paying for the brand name and not the quality. I have bought several telivisions from walmart. I have a Viore an Element and Spectre. They are all LCD Tv's 1080. To me they work as good as the name brands. I bought the Element 55' last year and it still works great. You can get it for less than $1000. I'm going to buy another one for my man cave soon I think the are going for 799 or 899 right now. Just my two cents good luck with shopping.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 11:14:06 PM PDT
CEB says:
Granted, this is not exactly what you were looking for, but I thought you might want to check this out.

Initially, I was looking for LEDs bc they are thinner, use less energy, looks more vibrant; however, for 50"+ those babies are pretty expensive and I looked on-line to do research to find my TV.

I found a Panasonic 50" for $649 HD plasma at a club store (see CNet's review on Panasonic plasma before you decide against the Panasonic bc of well plasma is older tech, right?), no 3D and then I got the Panasonic Blue Ray home theater system for $349. What's nice about sticking to a particular cool brand is that they can integrate all their products so well. I just use one Panasonic remote and one HDMI (included /system) that came with my home theater to control most everything. I can turn on/off everything, listen to iPod/iPhone (the home theater has an iPod base/charger), SD slot for playing media, 2 other HDMIs for external boxes like Tivo or cable TV box or AppleTV, even a dedicated Netflix button on the Panasonic remote that will pull up movies too. When I trained my Tivo to turn on the TV, the Tivo remote can turn the whole system on and off, and when I turn on using my Tivo, the whole system turns on/off with Tivo running back up...the bass sub is deep, punchy and can rumble for movies or music, loud enough for any nice living room. I was skeptical about the sound thinking how can such a light weight sub and sound system pull this off but you gotta listen to believe it.

Video quality: LOOKS JUST LIKE THE MOVIE THEATER especially in the dark
Sound quality: sounds better than the movies and as loud as most would want before waking up their spouse.

Set up: EZ plug and play bc the TV and home theater are designed and tested with each other.

Cons: you do need to watch out for glare from sunny windows

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 2:14:27 PM PDT
I dont know about plasma but I have a rear projection 50 in Panasonic and it has been nothing but trouble. It pays to do some research for sure it's just five years old and I was told to through it away its been in the shop twice this time the repair man told me to go buy a Samsung or sharp but to get away from Panasonic

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 6:27:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2014 10:52:10 PM PDT
Xbox BoxX says:
You could always check here..

If you want to see what everyone else is buying at amazon, and whats the best prices and movers and shakers.. hit the following amazon link:

http://goo.gl/dKCP48

It updates hourly, so you always get the latest info as far as an hdtv set goes.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 1:29:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 1:46:42 PM PDT
dat six says:
2000 is high... I have seen many lcd's out there but honestly i would consider downsizing as tv prices are dropping considerably. 20 years ago we 'd keep a tv for about 10 years and now the evolution of the tv in the last ten years is almost scary from those projections to flatscreens t now the smart tv's ....I think it is best to not go so big because you may be stuck with it on your wall 5 years from now....im turning my 60 inch projection into a fishtank!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 2:03:15 PM PDT
I have a panasonic Plasma VT model, read the reviews, it has the best image quality hands down

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:04:13 AM PDT
I too have a panasonic plasma. I bought it about a year ago and couldn't be more pleased. I don't care about names or old or new tech etc. I care about my own personal satisfaction. Its only a 42" (whereas your inquiry concerns a bit larger) but my primary reason for plasma was dependability. No whiz bang new unproven tech and the durability as well. Give me the glass screen! I dont have to worry about what I'm cleaning it with etc.. I did some rudimentary research (I'm not a techie but nor am I clueless) and I couldn't find a single reason NOT to buy plasma. I couldn't say the same about the other technologies....Features are just features (bells and whistles) UNLESS you can translate them into benefits that meet your personal needs / wants........

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 1:08:31 PM PDT
Mark Logan says:
It all depends on budget.......

If you want 3D and more Bells and Whistles get the Panasonic ST Series Plasma(50"-65").....these baby's are M-M-Plasma good!! Plus you get the features of the mor expensive lines for a cheaper price.

If you don't need all the other stuff...I'd go with the Panasonic UT Series Plasma(50"-60").....Bang per buck wise they are hard to beat IMO. No 3D, no apps, but beautiful colors and deep rich blacks all @ great prices for what you get. The best "lower end" plasma's on the market.

Other wise if $$$ isn't an object......The Panasonic VT series has all the bells and whistles and an insane remote, let alone quality of picture and you can't go wrong with the GT series either....a few less gimmicks than the VT but great quality of picture.

if you want a pretty TV, Samsung is hard to beat, but if you want the better picture...Panasonic all day, every day.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 9:05:00 AM PDT
Janet B. says:
I am asking the same questions as you are. waiting to get the best advice. 55" or 60" Flat screen..NOt a plasma. Not more then $1500.00 if possible. Who do I ask?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 11:03:55 AM PDT
Jack Sutz says:
I bought a Sharp Aquos 55" from Amazon a little over a year ago to watch the football games and I have been very happy with it. I don't care about 3D either so I never bought the glasses. I had seen a Sony Bravia at Costco and decided it had the best picture compared to the other ones in the store but I have never been sorry that I bought the Sharp.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:46:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2014 10:52:23 PM PDT
Xbox BoxX says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:27:14 AM PST
Brian Meyer says:
Get a 60" Sharp Aquos. There are a few different models. The 1080p 120Hz LCD panels can be had for under a grand. Going up to their thinner LED panels will still be under $1500. Great picture quality and one of the best "bang for your buck" panels while still being a great name brand.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:15:52 AM PST
Nay says:
check out the LG 60LM7200 ...only at best buy right now but its a great price 1700 bucks for all the features of a high end tv...it really does seem impressive

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+60%22+Class+-+LED+-+1080p+-+240Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/6734339.p?id=1218786218461&skuId=6734339

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-60LM7200-led-tv

let me know what you think

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 6:50:06 PM PST
65" for 48" these days...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 7:11:18 AM PST
RT says:
I second your complaint! I have a 55" DLP from Panasonic, had to call Repair twice, I'm going to dump it and get something more reliable.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 11:20:32 AM PST
Samsung UN55EH6000 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:46:30 PM PST
Sui Lin Chee says:
The Vizio E601i-A3 for $999 (common selling price) is considered the best "everyday" deal currently (01/07/2013) - 60" LCD Edge-Lit (NO 3D), but has WiFi Internet - control pad is also internet board.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 3:48:57 AM PST
MICHAEL SNOW says:
Samsung 60" LED 240 Hz 3D smart TV is the best TV on the market. If you want a deal, the 60" Vizio LED smart TV is the best bang for your buck.

Posted on Oct 18, 2013 8:51:50 PM PDT
Barry A. Lee says:
I have a 3.5 year old Samsung Plasma, with 6 black lines running across horizontally, a giant waste of money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2014 2:06:14 AM PST
I was very impressed with Panasonic Plasma units (all the great reviews, especially on CNET). They definitely have a better all around picture then a LED and better black levels and motion. The problem is IR Image Retention and Burn In are still problems with Plasma units. Have you ever seen all the precautions, break in steps and warnings to avoid IR and BI? It's too risky! I can't believe this problems still exists in 2013/2014. Panasonic is currently closing all their plasma plants. Even though their TV qualities were so great most people were buying LED (85% to 15).

I have always been a great fan of Panasonic products and I was sad to hear them shutting down plasma.

Why others are mostly buying LED, aside from the fact Plasma TV's start at 42 inches and up while LED's come in all sizes, is maybe the scary IR and Burn In which definitely horrified me.

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 8:23:29 AM PST
new sets coming soon

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 10:50:23 AM PDT
I just bought the LG5534 Class 545834 Diag LED 4K Ultra HD TV 2160p 240Hz Smart 3D HDTV5 Model Number: 55LA9650
I know this is still a very expensive TV but Best Buy had it on sale for $2299.00. I will have to wait for 4K content to become available but in the meantime it will upscale blu ray movies making them look even better.
I am just getting internet, no cable. Just by not having cable the TV will pay for itself in a few years.
Rich

Posted on Oct 14, 2014 10:50:41 PM PDT
new vizio's coming out - reference series
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Television forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Jul 15, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions