Customer Discussions > Television forum

Which HDTVs have matte screens?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2010 6:15:07 PM PDT
Is there a directory that lists currently available LCD and plasma screens that are non-reflective? Manufacturer and review web sites are inconsistent in noting this important information: most don't mention it at all. Thanks!

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 10:44:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2010 9:37:36 AM PDT
I have not found a single directory that answers your question. No plasmas have ever had a matte screen but reviews on CNET certainly have made note of which PLASMA screens are better than others.

On LCDs - matte screens are also becoming rare. Here is a current CNET review of a rare LCD with a matte screen - http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln60c630/4505-6482_7-34001720.html?tag=mncol;lst

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 5:11:29 PM PDT
EdM says:
I agree with Opinunated - and I'd note that you should distinguish between matte screens, vs. screens that are not matte but normal and which are treated with an anti-reflective layer to overcome the reflection problem, at least partly.

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 5:42:48 PM PDT
I've never heard of LCD needing a matte screen to reduce glare. LCD Hdtvs are not troubled by reflection to my knowledge. I'm no videophile, but I've looked at numerous TV's in a number of stores and noticed the glaring difference (pun intended) between lcd and plasma.

My advice.......

Go to a store and view both LCD and Plasma. Wait for a dark screen in particular and you'll see the lack of reflection on LCD, but see the store lights on the plasma, like a mirror image. That is the difference.

I've never noticed matte screen to be a factor for LCD.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 6:00:58 PM PDT
At Best Buy, you can see both LCDs and plasmas that mirror the lights - and other screens that don't. It seems to be kind of random, even within brands. That's why I was asking if anyone kept tabs on this - so one could search with that criterion without trucking down to the store. CNET for one thinks the growth in glossy LCDs is regrettable (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10449611-1.html). But I'm not debating the merits, just looking for information that might be relevant for quite a few consumers. Thanks!

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 6:27:16 PM PDT
Henry Zmijak says:
with samsung, the last 2 numbers represent matte screen vs glass. example: LN46C630 is a 46 inch matte screen, while LN46C650 is its glass screen counterpart.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 7:00:10 PM PDT
But lots of online posts say that the 55" C630 has a glossy screen, not the matte screen of the 46" C630 - this is the kind of confusion I was hoping to clear up!

Why isn't this simply listed as a product spec? Probably because they can't figure out how to say "non-reflective" without creating consumer questions about screens *not* called "non-reflective."

Instead, they've booted it to Marketing, which honed the semantical problem into a selling point. So you get Panasonic's "Anti-Reflective Filter" (which means exactly...what?) and Samsung's "Ultra Clear Panel" (ie, highly reflective). This isn't a help.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 11:09:24 PM PDT
EdM says:
" "Anti-Reflective Filter" (which means exactly...what?)"

Just the same as for sunglasses, regular glasses, HDTV screens, telescope lenses, camera lenses, etc., whether plastic or glass. The thing is that the better AR coatings cost more, so you find them more often on more costly HDTVs ... or those on cheap HDTVs don't work as well or they don't have AR at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-reflective_coating

"n antireflective or anti-reflection (AR) coating is a type of optical coating applied to the surface of lenses and other optical devices to reduce reflection. This improves the efficiency of the system since less light is lost. In complex systems ... In other applications, the primary benefit is the elimination of the reflection itself, such as a coating on eyeglass lenses that makes the eyes of the wearer more visible to others, or a coating to reduce the glint from a covert viewer's binoculars or telescopic sight."

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 9:40:03 AM PDT
There's a theory that LCDs have lacked such coatings because LCDs show inherently weaker black values, compared to plasma. AR coatings would have placed LCDs at any even greater disadvantage in black values (apparent contrast) vs. plasmas with AR coatings. This might account for the increasing number of non-AR LCDs on the market, as LED-equipped LCDs went upscale against plasmas.

But in not-so-uncommon room settings, those apparent contrast differences pale against the distraction from reflected light.

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 9:48:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2010 10:13:19 AM PDT
I found "Under the Influences" remarks interesting and they made me think about LCDs in general. I've always found "Under the Influences" remarks sincere and credible. Yet I disagree. I went through the process of buying a new LCD monitor for my computer last year. I was looking for a widescreen 24". I purchased an LCD that had a very reflective screen but didn't think much of that fact until I purchased it and used it in my office. Then it drove me nuts (and I eventually returned it). Finally I found an LCD with a matte screen but it cost considerably more than the LCD with a "clear" screen.

There is nothing that I am aware of in LCD technology that makes it immune to reflections in comparison to other technologies. In the PAST - most LCDs had a matte screen but that has changed. Without a matte screen - an LCD is no more immune from reflections than a plasma. So I have to respectfully disagree with "Under the Influence"

While I am happy with my LCD computer monitor (now that I found one with a matte screen) in my office - I'm glad to have a Panasonic plasma (in my dimly lite family room) to watch movies and TV nightly.

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 10:28:56 AM PDT
A/V guru says:
I was going to stay out of this "to matte or not" discussion...but

I have yet to see a laptop(but I will digress with the fact I wasn't looking at "price point" models when I was shopping) without a matte/anti-reflective screen. You couldn't begin to use it outside without one.

You can buy aftermarket "anti-glare" acrylic screens for EVERY flat screen made. The fact not everyone is made that way, means not everyone is going to need it.

Green Onions Anti-Glare AG2 Screen Protector for 15.6-Inch Widescreen Laptop (RT-SPF10156W/M)

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Glare-TV-ProtectorTM-Stylish-Screen-Protector/dp/B003K9XA28/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1284658108&sr=1-2-fkmr0

Posted on Sep 17, 2010 7:00:50 PM PDT
I willfully stand corrected, and hope my mistake adds clarification to the discussion (as errs often do).

My view was based primarily on observation of a couple of computer monitors and laptops that I own, and hdtv's viewed about four years ago, when I was looking for a tv that would be used in a room with strong sunlight. My choice was the lcd tv primarily because of the resistance to glare in the models that I was considering, and I didn't notice any mention of matte screen as a feature. Maybe an over-sight on my part - I'm not sure, but none of those components have any glare or reflection from room lighting. Plasmas were offered with anti-glare coatings for a hundred or so dollars extra.

In fact, I recently bought a couple of gifts, entry level netbook and laptop, and noticed the glossy screens on each. As I said. Never had that issue with other lcd monitors and tv's that I purchased. Don't have any motion-blur problems either. Yet the glare on the inexpensive netbook and laptop is very apparent.

Without a doubt, watching a movie in a dimly lit room and seeing a light fixture on the screen during dark scenes is a big turn off for me. Fortunately, viewing angle was not a strong consideration in any of my purchases. The Toshiba tv (which I purchased) has a very poor, washed out, off-center picture (worse than the average lcd tv).

Just personal observations gone astray.

Posted on Sep 18, 2010 3:28:22 AM PDT
MikeT says:
I have a wide screen Sony laptop with a glossy screen and it was completely unusable as a travel laptop in my car.
One of those anti-glare screen overlays did help tremendously.

My plasma directly faces a huge bay window, a simple adjustable pivot/tilt mount angling the tv DOWN solved any glare issue. This fix probably would not work in some environments like wood floors that would also reflect light back onto the screen. Pivot/tilt mounts also make initial connections (and subsequent connections) to a wall mounted panel a breeze!

Posted on Sep 18, 2010 7:27:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2010 7:33:18 AM PDT
There has been a shift away from matte screens!! In the past, most LCDs came with a matte screen. LCDs - IN THE PAST - whether used on a computer monitor, notebook computer or HDTV - likely had a matte screen.

But that is no longer true. Now it is commonplace for an LCD to come with a clear screen. Without a matte screen - reflections are just as big a problem on LCDs as they are on plasmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2010 11:11:02 AM PDT
HappyGoLucky says:
I'm a matte screen fan and I have found Samsung and Sony to have them on some of their models - I believe Vizio and LG do too.

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 6:57:06 AM PDT
Here is a matte screen LCD that got a good review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln60c630/4505-6482_7-34001720.html?tag=mncol;lst

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 5:34:33 AM PDT
Brett Rigby says:
I've done some research as my tv will be opposite a bay window. Sharp has matte screens. LG does too but not on their Cinema line tvs. Samsung does not make matte screens and I have seen reviews that Vizio is highly reflective. I have yet to buy but will probably go with Sharp.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:28:26 PM PST
Consumer Reports has two Samsung LCD/LED TVs (46 inch) that are described as having matte screens, so either CR is wrong or the previous comment about Samsung not making matte screens may be incorrect.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2013 7:53:07 AM PDT
You must be "under the influence"...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2013 9:29:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2013 9:38:54 AM PDT
Ian Bateson says:
That's a load of rubbish. Compare side-by-side a computer monitor with a matte display and another with a glossy display, you will clearly see that the quality of picture with glossy display is clearly compromised by external light sources, unless you sit in darkness. Matte is far superior and more natural.

I have read the suggestion that this backward step towards glossiness is due to that idiot of an overrated 'genius' called Steve Jobs, who embarked on glossy displays for his Apple products. Now it appears that there are barely any flat screen models available for 32" and above with matte displays, while smaller ones like 20" and below are readily available. You'd think the Oriental television manufacturers would have enough sense to realise that not everyone believes in Steve Jobs' pretentious, mind-bending crap.

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 7:30:20 PM PST
Judy K. says:
Samsung UN55HU8550FXZASamsung - 55" Class. I only know I want a smart TV but with a Matte screen. I LOVE MATTE, I HATE GLARE and I have lots of light in my living room. HELP Anyone know anything about this TV is it matte?

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 6:25:11 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 23, 2014 6:29:23 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 6:29:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2014 6:30:53 PM PST
EZM says:
all of these big fancy TVs when the light hits them from the sun, of course the pictures cannot be the best,,,,,, for me and people I know the darker the viewing area the better performance the TV looks just like in a movie theater it's dark except for the theater or in this case the TV, so in my opinion if you're going to worry about the picture that much then you need to have some kind of shutters, blinds or curtains to take away some of that direct lighting,,,, because it's just not this brand, it's all of them,,,,,and by the way , in my opinion plasma is the only picture or technology I will buy for my TV,,,, LED seems to be a favorite, but for me I like the rich colors of the plasma screen,,,,,,

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2014 7:05:21 PM PST
Judy K. says:
I live in a glass house. The room with the TV has 20 feet of glass floor to ceiling on one side and 10 feet on the others . I'm hoping my matte screen will last until someone starts building filters or matte screens again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2014 9:15:53 PM PST
EZM says:
OK best wishes & a happy new year .
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Television forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Sep 14, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions