Customer Discussions > 3D forum

Totally green on 3d

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2012 3:52:37 PM PST
J. Caraglior says:
Just purchased a Panasonic 3d viera. The new panasonic glasses just released and are $169.00 each!!! Can I just get universal glasses? Which ones are the best? Should they be rechargeable? Do they need to be active shutter? I'm so confused!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 11:26:10 PM PST
There are universal glasses that will work on the Panasonic 3d Viera. I have used both the Sain Sonic and the Xpand glasses. Only active shutter glasses will work with the Panasonic TVs. The Sain Sonic are rechargeable. The Xpand are not. The Xpand are larger and fit over prescription glasses better. I find the images with the Xpand to be slightly darker with richer looking colors conpared to the Sain Sonic.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 4:46:50 PM PST
Harry Sally says:
As 3D becomes more mainstream, there will be 3rd party companies releasing cheaper alternatives for glasses. I have the LG PZ550 Plasma and the glasses range from 80 to 140 dollars so I feel your pain. Chances are, if your glasses cost that much, you are using Active shutter technology which, in terms of high definition 3D rendering is FAR FAR superior to passive. Only with Active shutter can you get a true 1080p 3 dimensional image and it looks spectacular. Easily as good as if not better than theater quality. I say better because theaters use passive technology which, causes headaches, are really REALLY dark and reduce the image quality, causing artifacts and in some instances loss of synchronization with the audio. I support you in your choice in going with the Panasonic Viera just bear in mind, it was only Christmas of 2011 that this technology even started to become affordable to mainstream public. Keep your eyes peeled on Amazon and other price watching sites for deals on your glasses. E-bay is another good source. You will notice already that 3D movies were all 35 to 50 dollars and most have dropped to the 19.99 to 30.00 range so as those of us who have 3D tv's start buying these, the market will open up more and drive prices down further. I thoroughly enjoy my tv and its ability to convert 2D to 3d (who needs to see Star Wars in theaters? your tv can do just as good of a job? Be patient, start your 3d collection with the 20 dollar titles, ive gotten some great ones for 20 like Thor, Captain America, Green Hornet and Conan. As you collect though, do your research. You want to collect films that were actually "shot" in 3D, not converted later. Otherwise it loses the effect to a great extent. Case in point, Thor looks beautiful in HD but not much 3D going on, some but not much. Resident Evil Afterlife however, which was shot in 3D, is mindblowing in its effects, much like Avatars. So be a little patient and start your collection. Its going through the same phase Blu Ray went through vs. DVD when it first came out and now that all the game platforms have adapted 3D, I think its safe to say..3D is here to stay. You made a great choice quality wise, ride it out a while.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  3D forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions