Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > 9 99 Boycott forum

There are no printing costs on Kindle Books so why the exhorbitant fees

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 93 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2010 11:41:36 AM PDT
I seriously do not understand why Kindle Books are so expensive. It's just a download. There are no printing costs. No paper is involved. So why are they more money? We are being ripped off after the fact that we paid a fortune for these Kindles to begin with.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 11:44:55 AM PDT
Music Fiend says:
Perhaps the author would appreciate being paid for his work. Perhaps Amazon would appreciate being paid for the service they provide. Perhaps the publisher who holds the contract rights would appreciate being paid. Solution: put your Kindle in a drawer and go to the library and pay... zero.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 1:51:55 PM PDT
You were not ripped off. You are just stupid.
The publisher sets the cost and Kindle chooses to carry it or not. If they choose not to carry it you will complain that Amazon does not offer the books you want.
Cost of a book is only partially basd upon the cost of ink and paper. The higher costs go into advertising,author royalty,the companies staff(editors etc).
Meanwhile you save on gas,convenience and storage. If the amount they charge is going to change your lifestyle please sell it on EBay and stop posting messages.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 2:18:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2010 2:19:25 PM PDT
Kris, you are expressing the feelings of many ereader owners and users at this time. You are truly not in the minority and also have every right to express your opinion and concerns on these forums as much as anyone else. The cost of ereaders appears to be going down as any new technology tends to do over time. I paid $399 for my K2US 14 months ago and have not regretted it one day. It is getting more of a scavenger hunt to find decent priced good quality books in specific genres but you can always check the kindle forum because it seems that everyone wants to share a great deal. Keep your chin up. Hold your line on what you feel an ebook should be and watch the publishing world evolve. What a great time to be a reader!!

Thanks for your post Kris!

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 7:22:26 PM PDT
J. Palmer says:
I really don't think Amazon is to blame for the price gouging going on. I follow 3 different Kindle blogs (The Kindle Chronicles is one of the best) and the story seems to be that the publishers are running scared about ebooks, not knowing what to do about them. So they are trying to control the field, to slow down the advance of ebooks that seems to threaten their "business model". Rather than seeing ebooks as a new opportunity, they are attempting (much like the music industry bucked the introduction of the recordable CD) to derail the ebook or, at the least, to control it.

Like the dinosaurs, they are doomed. It's just a matter of time. Meantime, don't buy into their game. Avoid instances where they overprice the Kindle edition over the paperback or hardback. Hold firm, and they will eventually see the light, or perish.

Posted on Jul 2, 2010 2:49:33 AM PDT
Paper and distribution aren't all the costs of a book (as stated). It's quite understandable for an eBook version to cost more than a few cents, or even a few dollars.
If the paper version costs $15, $10 for an electronic version is quite acceptable.
Where it gets weird is when that electronic version is sold for $20.

Unless there's a massive initial investment to recover for the publisher and he expects a very small sales volume (in which case offering an electronic version at all is a dubious decision of course) there's no sensible reason I can come up with for such pricing.

eBooks are no threat to publishers, at least not in the way pirated music is a threat to the music industry. Most are personalised for the customer (Kindle books through being device linked, other publishers create their eBooks on demand, embedding the customer name and sometimes address on every page, share it around and you're easy to track down).
They are of course a threat (though limited) to printers, and some publishers are also printers.

Publishers are far from doomed. Authors will still need organisations to represent them to resellers, make a strong presence against those resellers who'd shortsell them otherwise, and provide services like editing, marketting, and proofreading.
They will however become less of a manufacturing industry and more of a services industry, and that transformation will take time.

Looking at my own catalog of eBooks, almost all were priced at just a little under the price of the printed book.
I purchased them not because of the price, but because they're technical volumes I need to carry around to customers and I was tired of lugging 20lbs of paper around with me every day (with a bad back, carrying a laptopcase with everything needed to do my job is hard enough without having to lug around a library as well, I now have a netbook with those books in my laptop bag instead, found a Kindle useless for that as it can't be used to open password protected PDF documents which constitute the majority of my eBooks).

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 11:48:00 PM PDT
David says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2010 11:16:01 AM PDT
Vinyl Junkie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2010 4:58:40 AM PDT
kataralea says:
Perhaps the author, the publisher, and Amazon would make more money if they sold more books because of lower prices.

Don't underestimate the cost of printing, distributing, and paying stores to sell hardcopies and paperbacks. I cannot understand why a paperback book costs less than a Kindlle version of the same book. Kindle requires a one-time effort to convert book to Kindle format. Aren't the costs to Amazon for digital support much less than the costs of supplies, printing, labor, shipping, commissions etc. for the publisher?

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 12:20:13 PM PDT
These few vocalist supporters of high kindle prices still can't seem to explain with a clear argument *why* the digital copies should be more expensive than a physical copy in today's world.

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 8:13:24 AM PDT
Greeny says:
In a perfect world, Kindle versions would be less than printed versions. However, this is a world where files are freely exchanged on the internet. E-books are all over the place and once it is released it is only a matter of time (and not much time, at that) before it gets pirated and up for sharing.

This is just a suggestion as to an argument for high kindle prices... Having an e-book edition moves some people from buying a paperback to buying an e-book. No sales lost there. But it also moves some people (bad, bad people) from buying a paperback to downloading a pirated copy. The existence of an e-book reduces the sales (or increases the risk that someone who might otherwise buy a book ends up downloading a pirated copy). It logically follows that the people who want the e-book edition (which creates the risk of it being pirated) might be asked to pay a premium for that privilege or convenience.

You may not agree with this model, but I think it is a logical argument.

The flaw in the argument is that someone is going to scan the paper version, use OCR technology, and then upload the file for sharing anyways.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2010 8:43:10 AM PDT
The thing that ticks me is this - they sell you this great thing. Going green so to speak. Less prices for books, since less paper, etc. You pay the outrageous fee (at the time) for the Kindle thinking the books were cheap. Then the publishers raise the prices of the books. I think it sucks. Plain and simple and not fair to the people who don't pirate. This kind of behaviour may actually make people get pirated books to avoid the high fees for the ebooks. I myself will just not pay the kindle fees if they are too high. Especially when the hardcover costs less than the Kindle version. Just not right.

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 2:48:21 PM PDT
R. Zellner says:
The reason the Kindle version is more than the paperback is because the paper back is not out. The publisher is trying to maximize their profit in the same manner that they have for years with hard cover books. Is there any other reason they wait to release books in paperback? No, it is to milk to people that are too impatient to wait for the paperback version.

Just wait until the paperback version comes out and I bet you this e-reader version is priced below it then. Love it or hate it this is capitalism at work. They have a right to control their product and try to maximize profit and we have the right to not patronize them for it. I for one will wait for the price to drop to a "reasonable" level.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010 7:35:56 PM PDT
GoodLuckTina says:
This is a wonderfully simple explanation. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2010 1:21:23 PM PST
James Cherry says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 6:32:44 PM PST
Brenda Swan says:

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 4:40:19 PM PST
J. Foley says:
R Zellner...I have to disagree to some extent. Although you are correct in that some pricing is based on hardcover books only (paperbacks not being available yet). But how can you justify it when the Kindle edition is MORE than the hardcover??

I work overseas and offshore. The books I buy ARE out in mass produced paperback...and the the Kindle editions are still more expensive. The argument presented above about publishers being scared of losing their "business model" is probably the most accurate. I for one will not steal anyones work..not even a song on the internet. I pay someone for what I want. But it grates on me to no end to pay more for a once digitized copy of a file that does in fact cost less to produce, ship and require no air conditioned shelf space.

Posted on Dec 17, 2010 8:39:52 PM PST
Military Ma says:
I recently purchased the new Kindle 3 for $189 and I feel that it is worth every penny. Although all Kindle books are not low priced the majority are still cheaper than hardcover books when they first come out and once the paperback version comes out most Kindle books also drop in price. Additionally, you are also paying for convenience. Can you even imagine trying to carry or store the amount of books that a single Kindle can hold? If you truly believe you are being ripped off by using your Kindle then I'm sure you could sell it on Ebay and then purchase bound books. Additionally, you did not even address the fact that there are literally thousands of books available for free on Kindle and I'm positive that if you walked into any bookstore they would not be handing books out for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2010 5:45:10 AM PST
Well you will soon see that the prices aren't always cheaper. Most kindle prices are more than the hardcover price. I'd rather have the real deal if that's the case. Then I can at least share the books.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2010 6:03:39 AM PST
J. Foley says:
Kris...look at Penguin and MacMillian Publishers. These are the two that most consistently price kindle books HIGHER than a released paperback AND HIGHER than Hardcovers. I have even sent emails to some of my favorite writers asking them to reconsider their choice of publishers now that they are "established authors".

Also, IMHO, those who like to say "go sell your Kindle on ebay" are not adding anything constructive to this discussion. You always have a choice to buy or not buy...participate or don't. The question here is the publisher's marketing tactics. The only thing that will change the publishers minds are to hit them in the wallet...do not buy their books! and I mean all Hardcover, Paperback, and eBooks. If you buy any one of their "products" as they are you just reinforce their messed up marketing tactics. The only way to do this is to boycott a publisher.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2010 1:01:40 PM PST
K. Racano says:
Good idea. I never think to look at who the publishers are on the high priced Kindle versions. Thanks. I will be looking at that in the future.

Posted on Feb 26, 2011 8:52:40 AM PST
It just posted this on the Dumbfounded list under this discussion...

The publisher sets the price, then both Amazon and the publisher get profits. Right now, most publishers get 70% of the sales price; less if the title is sold via Amazon UK. How much of that 70% do the authors get? Depends on the contract negotiated with the publisher. Many unknown authors who have tried for years to get published by the Big Names are creating their own publishing companies and getting ALL of the 70%. I don't blame them. So not only will brick and mortar bookstores disappear, so will most of the dead-tree publishing companies. How this will affect consumer/reader pricing, I have no idea. (I've been referring to Kindle versions only)

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 7:05:23 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 21, 2011 2:14:56 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 9:17:22 AM PST
If you're referring to me, I love my Kindle. I was merely stating the financial facts of publishing for Amazon/Kindle from an author's point of view. I've found many excellent books and authors that I would not have known without my Kindle. As for prices, I have a mental limit of $6.99; but I will pay more if it's a book I REALLY want. It's my choice whether or not to purchase a specific title. No 'poor me' crap from my side. As I've written elsewhere, ebooks are the next version of storytelling and recording history - just another big step along the path of the printed word.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 5:04:11 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 28, 2011 7:43:03 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the 9 99 Boycott forum (22 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  9 99 Boycott forum
Participants:  62
Total posts:  93
Initial post:  Jun 24, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions