how to get rid of german roaches

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2012 8:04:12 PM PDT
how to get rid of german roaches

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 11:23:11 AM PDT
Ercillor says:
German Roaches??? I'm told that this particular species has just about died out nowadays --- except in some places like Argentina and Paraguay. :>]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 12:36:46 PM PDT
Pampeliska says:
I had a really good success with
http://www.amazon.com/Grade-Diatomaceous-Earth-Natures-Wisdom/dp/B003QJBVH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343849541&sr=8-1&keywords=diatomaceous+earth

or smaller size
Safer Brand 5168 Diatomaceous Earth Powder Ant, Crawling Insect and Bed Bug Killer, 7 Ounces

I live near a creek and routinely get invaded with (VERY gross) large water cocroaches in the summer.
The powder sprinkled all over the places where they like to gather helped a lot.

As far as 'getting' an individual one right in front of you, spraying it with any household cleaner will kill it. Not right away but very quickly.
I am all for peaceful co-habiting with nature and do not like to kill anything, but these creatures are just way too disgusting to have around.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 8:47:05 PM PDT
jojo says:
This species is alive and well and vacationing in Hawaii!

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 7:44:32 PM PDT
We live in Fl. Get a good pest control guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 1:49:00 PM PDT
Indeed In Hawaii we still have these awful pests!
I moved into a house 3 years ago that had a SERIOUS German cockroach problem in the kitchen. I remember the 1st day I made some dinner in the kitchen about 5 of them came running out from under my glass topped stove to see what was cooking! For The next several months I repeatably tried everything from exterminators that come spray inside the home to every single poison I could buy/try, but I just couldn't seem to break the cycle. Eventually I moved all of my dishes and utensils and food out of that kitchen, just feeling hopeless about it. Finally, after over a year of this frustrating problem, I thought I would try an old fashioned remedy, Borax.

I bought 2 containers of borax (boric acid) similar to this

Pic Orthoboric Acid Roach & Ant Killer 16 oz

It had a nozzle type dispenser, and I poured the powder in all of my now emptied cabinets, and around every inch of base board and counter backsplash, under my fridge, along every shelf in my now emptied pantry, under the stove. Pretty much lined every place I had seen the insects coming & going.

The very next morning, I came out into the kitchen and saw TONS of dead German roaches in the middle of the floor. I left the borax powder where I put it for 3 months. (Sure it looks somewhat unsightly but its just powdered soap so it does no damage, and its a whole lot better to look at than all those nasty bugs!)

THE CYCLE WAS FINALLY BROKEN!!!!!
I have Not even SEEN one single roach in my kitchen since.
I live in a very rural area in Hawaii where this is a very BIG problem and almost everyone has these bugs (or worse ones)
Some people say this island is known as BIG island, Its not Its really the BUG island, But if you have some Borax on hand, You will be BUG FREE!!!

Btw this has also helped with Fleas!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 1:39:35 PM PDT
Pampeliska says:
OMG... just the visual of the first morning after makes me want to gag... you are quite a trooper, I would have probably moved out and let them have the house.
Or at least hire someone to go and deal with the corpses.

Many years ago I was living in an apartment, that was quite fine for years till a neighbor moved in that ruined it all.
When visiting his place, you'd see the (regular size) roaches EVERYWHERE, including many of them crawling right on him (I am NOT kidding). He would just occasionally brush them off nonchalantly and kept on talking.
My place got infested in no time. If I turned light on in the kitchen in the evening, you could see armies of them scurrying off, it was unimaginably disgusting.
Back then there was no internet to search for solution and having no prior experience with anything even remotely similar, I had no clue what to do. Finally I just moved out.

What about the centipedes? I heard many houses in Hawaii get invaded with very creepy and highly poisonous centipedes that could easily kill you or at least seriously harm you with their bite.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 1:11:28 PM PDT
" I heard many houses in Hawaii get invaded with very creepy and highly poisonous centipedes that could easily kill you or at least seriously harm you with their bite."

Yep. As far as I am aware we have 3 species of centipede here, & among the most commonly seen in homes and gardens is the infamous Giant Centipede (Scolopendra subspinipes), one of the most feared and hated pests here because of their venomous and painful bites.
see one here : http://i.ytimg.com/vi/omP-dAQJe48/0.jpg

These are EVERYWHERE, Ive lived in metropolitan area's like Honolulu & Ewa beach, as well as the Jungles of the north Shore and the Puna district of the Big island (the super drenched rain-forest) and you see them all the time.

I was stung once in my bed by one of these suckers when I Lived north Shore Oahu. I had never been stung by a centipede before, but before I even turned on the lights & saw it, I Knew that's what it had been, Nothing else would burn like that.
I told my husband "WAKE UP!!! THERE IS A CENTIPEDE IN THE BED, I JUST GOT STUNG!!!" he drowsily got out of bed, totally doubting me,
as he came to his senses, I told him, "Pull down the covers with me , we have to find it!". He was saying, "It must have been a spider or something go back to bed", Just as I yanked the end of the sheet out from under the mattress insisting we would find a centipede, The culprit insect , like something India Jones caliber, came catapulting out from the yanked bed covers. "AHA!!!!!" I TOooolD you!" I said as he crushed it to death.

It felt like a hot shot of potassium going into your veins, being stung , you can feel the heat,the literal heat of the venom in your veins spreading. Actually the smaller bluer ones hurt worse. They are easily controlled with LOTS of REGULAR poison treatments OR a more healthy yet less likely option for more urban locations is keeping a few chickens in the yard, The chickens Love to eat centipedes ^ ^ .

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 5:43:28 PM PDT
Pampeliska says:
That sounds like a nightmare... one of my latent fears is that I will go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and one of those huge cockroaches will crawl on me from underneath the toilet seat. Just today I had to flush down the toilet two dead ones (gross, sorry) and it took all I had just to do that...
If I had to deal with centipedes I don't know HOW would I manage...

I have a friend from West Texas, he has some stories to tell about tarantulas, rattlesnakes, scorpions, wasps, etc.
He said it was a part of a routine before you put on any clothes or shoes, espec. cowboy boots, you had to shake them off vigorously. Imagine slipping into a tight cowboy boot only to find out that your foot landed on top of a scorpion.
He said he got stung by a scorpion couple of times just walking around the house and it hurts like a SOB.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 9:32:57 AM PDT
German Roaches are still around and cause horrible infestations in homes and businesses. It is virtually impossible to take care of the problem on your own. The egg casings themselves hold about 20-30 eggs. The population of roaches increases far too rapidly to make any difference with do-it-yourself products. A professional exterminator is able to treat with a variety of products to target all life cycles. Sometimes a full cleanout procedure is necessary to get the population down quickly. This involves a process that will take on the average a few hours. Bizzy Bee Exterminators is in Georgia and we have excellent results dealing with German Roaches and all other pests. Give us a Buzz and We'll get Bizzy! 800-273-4958

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 11:47:29 PM PDT
Maggie32216 says:
Yep... BORIC ACID truly works!!! I worked as Social Worker for 22 years, and LOTS of my new clients would have german roaches everywhere... With just one (inexpensive!) box of Boric Acid sprinkled in their path, they would be gone in a short time. I never had them come back. Good luck!

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 4:15:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012 4:17:48 PM PDT
star says:
Wow, you guys are great! I have heard that boric acid would do the roach rid, but I haven't been able to get my partner to believe me and she is in charge of the household so I can't just do it on my own. She is extremely clean but we live in an apt. building in New York City so we do get the occasional big one, especially after big rains, even though we live on the top (6th) floor. I know that the habits of neighbors can also play a role. Ordinarily she just calls me away from the tv with desperation in her voice to perform the hunt & kill (I hate this- they freak me out--but we all have our roles in a relationship and this is one of mine).
I do, however, greatly enjoy (after the successful kill) going into the room where she is with a big smile on my face and da-da-ing the Rocky theme and saying "Who's your hero, huh? Who's your hero?" I look forward to her seeing the write-ups here. By the way, I had always wanted to go to Hawaii--not anymore, although centipedes would be easier to catch & dispose of.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 4:31:08 PM PDT
Pampeliska says:
Blech... they're even grosser when they get smashed... kudos for you, I could never do that.
I just spray them with the cleaner and wait till they drop, then flush them down the toilet.
Someone I know just covers them with big tupperware dish, slides the cardboard underneath and takes them outside far away from the house. Or flushes them down the toilet if he feels particularly lazy and/or vindictive that day.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 3:16:33 AM PDT
Ms. Lady says:
Everyone's testimonies and advise seems very helpful.

I've lived in my standalone single family home for over ten years here in Georgia and have only had outdoor water bugs or flying cockroaches get into my house on occasion. I actually just spotted one (1) german cockroach in my bedroom tonight. I've been known to have bug radar and tonight was no exception. I was in the dark with the tv on and something made me get up. I leaned forward and there it was, sitting on the the top edge of my floor mirror. As I walked over I kept saying "this better not be what it looks like". Needless to say I freaked out. After I killed it I walked around thinking "are there more"? I can't imagine where it came from since we've always been clean but I have always been nervous about my neighbor when they moved in.
Listening to your stories I think my problem might not be so bad since it's the first and only one that I've seen. I may try the Borax for now. But I'm so nervous that I'll see another one. I don't think I can take an infestation so I will be calling an exterminate for peace of mind. WISH ME LUCK. And any additional comments are welcomed.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 6:59:23 AM PDT
In need to know how to get rid of these roaches I hate bugs.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 7:00:19 AM PDT
In need to know how to get rid of these roaches I hate bugs.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions