Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2012 7:52:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 8:02:40 AM PDT
S. Sawyer says:
Last year I had beautiful mandaville's and other flowering plants on my patio and the Japanese beetles ate them. These bugs are ugly and they attacked my beautiful flowers. What can I do this year to keep them away?

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 9:58:19 AM PDT
MJ28 says:
I used "BAYER ADVANCED Complete Insect Killer Power Sprayer" last year from lowes. worked right way .it said on the bottle "it kills Japanese beetles"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 2:26:20 PM PDT
catlady wdc says:
Is that one of the products that attach directly to hose? My hydrangea tree is being devoured.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 2:51:33 PM PDT
MJ28 says:
I think they make all three of them. 12oz bottle,one gallon ,and the one you attach to the hose .
THe one I used is the 12 oz bottle

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 9:53:43 PM PDT
A. Reavis says:
If you want something more natural and chemical free, try planting mint, lavender or catnip in your yard and around your property. It is a natural repellant for japanese beetles and other unwanted insects.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 11:33:14 PM PDT
Laura G says:
Here is your answer: I promise it will work! Start feeding the wild birds. I began feeding the birds in my yard when I moved to a new house in NC. It took a while for them to realize this was a new food source for them on a daily basis. But once I established the tray feeders and started throwing bread onto the lawn each spring day they came like clockwork. Now I feed a flock of grackles, plus all other songbirds and they eat every single Japanese beetle that dares to fly into my yard, or my surrounding neighbors yard for that matter. These birds are hungry, and my seed blend and white bread are enough to attract them, and then nature takes over and they relentlessly eat nuisance bugs of all kinds. They even hunt in the lawn, around my pool, and poke their cute beaks into the self watering holes in my planters keeping away the spiders that can bite. They are also entertaining to watch and I am very happy I started feeding them years ago. It's a rewarding and poison free method of bug control.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 11:37:13 PM PDT
Laura G says:
I know it's tempting to use the insect killers to have a quick fix. But please try my wild bird feeding idea to take care of ALL your bug problems naturally. These poisons are the reason we are losing our honey bees. They are nerve toxins and they are non-selective. Honey bees are insects and they will be killed along with the beetles. Please, Please rethink this poison idea.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 10:00:04 AM PDT
catlady wdc says:
Monte, I like the bird feeder idea and will give it a shot. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 10:07:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 11:44:56 AM PDT
MJ28 says:
Not a bad idea if the tree,birdfeeder are far away from your deck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 6:45:40 PM PDT
Rick V says:
Monte is absolutely right... The chemicals kill a lot more then just your beetles. We used to combat Japanese beetles every year using Bayer sprays, everything as toxic as it could get. Since my wife went over to kre natural solutions we have seen great success... And each year gets better. We have tons of birds that come to our feeders which now pick any beetles off the leaves. We also used milky spores so the larvae are naturally attacked. Great success for us. Therefore: thumbs up to Monte.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 12:13:07 PM PDT
you can buy traps and sprays for them. I use both ,otherwise they will eat everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:57:51 AM PDT
D. Little says:
If you buy traps, give them to your neighbors! Think about it. What do traps do? Attract japanese beetles right? So buy some traps and be neighborly and give them away. Then feed the birds and relax! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 6:19:02 AM PDT
Zephyr7 says:
Traps will attract more beetles to your neighborhood.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 11:57:52 AM PDT
It depends on the layout of your property.We have wooded backyard and I have not seen but a couple so far. But if your neighbors don't treat them with lures or chemicals that could cause them to congregate in your yard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 8:22:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 8:23:45 AM PDT
Use a natural homemade spray. In a quart spray bottle put in 1 1/2 inches of RED cider vinegar, 1 inch ORIGINAL Dawn dishwashing detergent and fill remainder with water. The detergent will kill any existing beetles and the vinegar odor keeps them from returning. Just make sure to use the RED cider vinegar and NOT the WHITE vinegar. The white is a natural defoliant and will make the leaves fall off.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 1:57:18 PM PDT
rverdunj says:
Milky spore lawn

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:17:53 PM PDT
I have fed Birds of all varieties for 17 years and still have to treat my trees for Japanese Beetles, If you rely on birds to eat the Beetles you will lose your trees.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:17:55 PM PDT
I have fed Birds of all varieties for 17 years and still have to treat my trees for Japanese Beetles, If you rely on birds to eat the Beetles you will lose your trees.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 12:55:17 AM PDT
Mach1 says:
It seems like the grackles eat the most beetles here in NC. But that is all I do, I don't use any poison. I rely on the birds to eat all the beetles. And they do, they eat every single one. They keep on swarming daily and getting eaten so I assume they are crawling up out of the ground all the time. I have mature trees, flowers all around my pool and my deck, two huge rose bushes and ornamental red maples, all favorites of the Japanese beetles. Maybe it's what you feed your wild birds. I feed mine 4 to 6 loaves of bread a day, sometimes more if there are a lot of babies and 4 kinds of seed mixed together for variety with peanuts and mixed nuts like almonds and pistachios. But I don't feed them until the afternoon. In the morning they hunt for the bugs and beetles. That's my secret. I found out by accident that it works well. In the morning it's cooler so they have the energy to hunt for bugs, and in the afternoon when it's hot I help them out with the bread, nuts and seed and lots of bath water.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 1:06:03 AM PDT
Mach1 says:
Thank You Rick! I'm glad you have the same positive results I do! It took me a few years to get my bird population up too. It's a process. But if people would only learn the natural things to do, we would all be a lot healthier.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 1:11:58 AM PDT
Mach1 says:
Mint, Lavender and catnip is a good idea and then those plants will attract butterflies and bees. and those herb varieties also attract aphids so you will have the natural predators like dirt diggers and lady bugs to eat the aphids, and those predator bugs will also eat the fleas and gnats that bite you. It's the circle of life to keep your habitat in balance, chemical nerve toxin poisons are not in the circle of life people!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 10:08:00 AM PDT
that sounds good, have you tried this in your garden?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 10:10:04 AM PDT
We have 3 huge feeders but the birds refuse to help us out with the J Beetles

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 3:43:48 PM PDT
Mach1 says:
Did you try to throw out some cheap white bread? and offer water. I buy the large bags of seed in walmart. Try the black sunflower blend mixed with the basic blend and if you can afford it- get a bag of the fruit and nut blend and mix those three together. That attracts the largest bird assortment, not just song birds. Song birds are great but they don't eat the majority of beetles. You need grackles, starlings, blackbirds, and a lot of blue jays don't hurt either. Grackles are the number one beetle eater in my yard. This time of year they have so many babies that are born exactly when the beetles emerge. That is the perfect balance of nature. Stick with it and you will end up with the same good timing balance in your yard!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 3:49:11 PM PDT
ali ozdemir says:
you can sptay them garden
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Patio, Lawn & Garden Tips and Tricks forum (192 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Jun 6, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions